Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 01-30-2018, 02:24 AM

Default Import audio from video results in longer clip

hi evreyone
I've got his problem importing audio from video files.

Importing an .mp4 video with its audio, results in an audio clip longer then the video (plus 2400 sample, with a video length approx 26 minutes)

Importing audio from a 5.1 .mov file (audio only) results in a clip 6 seconds longer than the original mov file.

I'm using PT HD 12 on iMac i5 with 16GB DDR4
I've got QT 7 Pro

Can anyone help me with this?!
Thanks
Fabio
Old 01-30-2018, 07:16 AM

Default Re: Import audio from video results in longer clip

Quote:
Originally Posted by edimedia View Post
hi evreyone
I've got his problem importing audio from video files.

Importing an .mp4 video with its audio, results in an audio clip longer then the video (plus 2400 sample, with a video length approx 26 minutes)

Importing audio from a 5.1 .mov file (audio only) results in a clip 6 seconds longer than the original mov file.

I'm using PT HD 12 on iMac i5 with 16GB DDR4
I've got QT 7 Pro

Can anyone help me with this?!
Thanks
Fabio
not sure .. but things to ask ..

1) is the audio out of sync with the video ??
2) does the audio or video drift apart at any point ??
3) is sync good all the way to the end of the video ??
lynx AES16e-SRC & Aurora 16
Artist Transport & iPad - Pro |Control - EuCon 3.7 (older Euphonix Branded MC Transport)
Old 01-30-2018, 07:56 AM

audio and video are in perfect sync and no drift in any point.
Old 01-30-2018, 08:18 AM

In the attached image you can see in order, video, audio extracted from video, audio imported form a mov file containing the 2.0 bounced mix for the very same video and last audio imported from a mov file containing the 5.1 mix for the same video
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Schermata 2018-01-30 alle 16.43.49.jpg (34.3 KB, 0 views)
Old 01-30-2018, 08:30 AM

Quote:
In the attached image you can see in order, video, audio extracted from video, audio imported form a mov file containing the 2.0 bounced mix for the very same video and last audio imported from a mov file containing the 5.1 mix for the same video
"audio and video are in perfect sync and no drift in any point" thats a good thing ..

now, what is the issue you are having ??
just that the file has a little bit on the end ??
is this the first time it has happened .. ??
is this the 1st mp4 you have ever received ??
have you received other videos that the audio comes in at the same length ??

as you can see we would LOVE a lot more information ..

thank you john
Artist Transport & iPad - Pro |Control - EuCon 3.7 (older Euphonix Branded MC Transport)
Old 01-30-2018, 09:09 AM

thank you john for you time!!

The issue is that if I have to deliver a mix with the exact length of the mp4 provided, do I have to refer to the PT video length, which is of course measured in frames, or to the audio extracted from the mp4, which is measured in samples and therefore more accurate (hum.. more accurate...is it so???!!).
First time dealing with video and audio together and it seems all the video I'm receiving are the same: video and embedded audio have different length.
This would not be a problem as soon as I know which one should be best reference.
Big issue is the audio from the 5.1 mov file.
This mov comes from a mix session of the same mp4 video. I bounced a 5.1 and a 2.0 mix selecting the video length (I had to pick one... video wins!!.. by now). Imported bounced files... and by now everything's fine: the files are same as video). Than exported them as mov files (in order to pack them together in QT, as the client asked). Importing them again fo a QC, I found this big difference in length for the 5.1 mix
Old 01-30-2018, 09:10 AM

Thank you john for you time!!

The issue is that if I have to deliver a mix with the exact length of the mp4 provided, do I have to refer to the PT video length, which is of course measured in frames, or to the audio extracted from the mp4, which is measured in samples and therefore more accurate (hum.. more accurate...is it so???!!).
First time dealing with video and audio together and it seems all the video I'm receiving are the same: video and embedded audio have different length.
This would not be a problem as soon as I know which one should be best reference.
This mov comes from a mix session of the same mp4 video. I bounced a 5.1 and a 2.0 mix selecting the video length (I had to pick one... video wins!!.. by now). Imported bounced files... and by now everything's fine: the files are same as video). Than exported them as mov files (in order to pack them together in QT, as the client asked). Importing them again fo a QC, I found this big difference in length for the 5.1 mix
Old 01-30-2018, 09:51 AM

Quote:
thank you john for you time!!

you are welcome,

next time .. i would ask for Apple ProRes or Avid DNxHD video files .. mp4's are ok but not as exacting ..

you could try converting one of the mp4's to Pro Res and see how that susses out ..

sounds ike you are Bouncing QT out of Pro TOols .. is this correct ???

Video Length is Usually the King .. i would deliver the same length as the video to be safe ..

do you know that you can replace or add AUDIO to a Quicktime File ?? there can be several different AUDIO tracks in one QT video file ..

without actually seeing the video and audio files here it would be hard to say what is really happening ..
Old 01-31-2018, 05:16 AM

already asked for better quality video, but no chance.
Anyway.. is there a limit to the video resolution PT can easily handle? These video a are 640x360 and PT works smooth... would it be the same with 1280x720 files?

Yes I'm bouncing to QT.. in order to have a 5.1 interleaved file to add (using QT) to a 2.0 and come up with a mov file embedding both of them (8 audio channels)

Yes, I think I'm gonna stick to the video.

And about the audio imported from the 5.1 mov file (in the QC fase), talking to a PT guy he told me that's just like this: the import process adds few seconds to the audio... doesn't know why. I think just based on experience.