Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020

Old 10-21-2020, 07:28 AM

Default Strange crackling behaviour

I've been trying to find the source of some crackling on a vocal track. I had run Waves Tune on it, which for whatever reason caused a ton of crackling (I'll figure the reason for that out later). I had some automation on the track to bypass waves tune for a section.

Anyway, I removed waves tune when I discovered it was the problem. Still crackling. So I started disabled all the plugins on the track, maxed out buffer size, unchecked "ignore errors during playback", and sent it straight to my outbut (rather than bussing through the vocal bus), also disabled sends to delay and reverb. So essentially straight out to the speakers. Still crackling. I checked the original audio file playing back through finder, it's clean. So I duplicated the track with the current playlist but no inserts or sends. It's clean. I copied all the plugins over, disabled, still clean. Bussed it through the vocal bus, still clean. The ONLY difference between the two tracks is the empty automation lane for waves tune in the first track.

So:
1. why is empty automation causing this crackling? It's almost as if PT caches the track and is playing back the cached audio file with the crackling.
2. how do I delete the waves tune automation lane entirely? I can just duplicate the track and use the clean one without the automation lane, but I'd like to figure this out.

Thanks for any help!
Old 10-21-2020, 07:55 AM

Default Re: Strange crackling behaviour

Quote:
Originally Posted by christien View Post
2. how do I delete the waves tune automation lane entirely? I can just duplicate the track and use the clean one without the automation lane,...

If there's an automation lane for Waves Tune on the track, it means there's still an instantiation of Waves Tune on the track - if it were truly removed the automation lane would go away. Double check all insert positions (A-E and F-J).

----------------------------------------
Mac Studio / Ventura, PT 2023.12.HDX, Avid HD I/Os and Metric Halo ULN8, 3xS1/Dock
Also running a Mac Studio Ultra / Ventura / HDX / MTRX / S6
Old 10-21-2020, 08:01 AM

It's probably not a cache issue, exactly. Individual tracks in PT can get "infected" with some sort of data corruption or can get buggy somehow. At that point, it usually works to move the audio to a new track and copy the plugins across, as you discovered. If that doesn't fix it, then the session itself has the problem. Importing the tracks into a new session can solve it.

If automating Waves Tune bypass continues to cause crackles, the workaround I'd use is to Commit the whole track with and without WT and comp the result as needed.

PT 2023.12 Ultimate | Clarett+ 8Pre | macOS 13.6.3 on a MacBook Pro M1 Max
PT 2023.12 | Saffire Pro 40 | Win10 latest, HP Z440 64GB
Old 10-21-2020, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Breen View Post
If there's an automation lane for Waves Tune on the track, it means there's still an instantiation of Waves Tune on the track - if it were truly removed the automation lane would go away. Double check all insert positions (A-E and F-J).
I wish I hadn't overwritten the file and could check this! This does sound like the kind of dumb mistake I make from time to time... :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by daeron80 View Post
It's probably not a cache issue, exactly. Individual tracks in PT can get "infected" with some sort of data corruption or can get buggy somehow. At that point, it usually works to move the audio to a new track and copy the plugins across, as you discovered. If that doesn't fix it, then the session itself has the problem. Importing the tracks into a new session can solve it.
That's what I've done.

Thanks all!
Old 10-21-2020, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by christien View Post
I wish I hadn't overwritten the file and could check this! This does sound like the kind of dumb mistake I make from time to time... :)
I make mistakes all the time! Sometimes audio production in Pro Tools can feel like brain surgery. Troubleshooting is almost an artform. I've rarely been completely stumped by a problem but one of the beauties of Pro Tools is that it's complex enough to almost always offer a work around.

Good luck!
UAD Apollo 8p / Octo
Old 10-21-2020, 12:26 PM

Assuming you have no digital connections that might be suffering a clock issue, try upping the buffer to 1024(unless you already are there). It sounds a bit like something chewing up all the cpu(might be worth showing that meter and see if it hits red when the crackles happen).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 10-21-2020, 12:29 PM

Aha, I just opened another song that had the same problem, and indeed the plugin was still active on the F-J inserts, which were hidden. Banging my head against the wall out of sheer stupidity!
Old 10-22-2020, 09:20 AM

ah - easy mistake to make - I've done it myself...

----------------------------------------
Mac Studio / Ventura, PT 2023.12.HDX, Avid HD I/Os and Metric Halo ULN8, 3xS1/Dock
Also running a Mac Studio Ultra / Ventura / HDX / MTRX / S6
Old 10-22-2020, 09:28 AM

This happens on my system occasionally.
My workaround is to change the buffer size (ex: from 128 to 256) click ok.
Go back to settings and change the buffer size back to 128. Always clears it up.