Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid S1, S3, Dock and Control App

Old 10-14-2020, 07:53 AM

Default Which IP ports for AVID Control?

Hi,

we're having trouble connecting iPad to DAWs and I was wondering which ports need to be open for AVID Control to work?

There a Ubiquity AP in the network and iPads are on a closed VLAN with the DAWs. Everything workd incl Spancontrol for Spanner so there's definitely flow of data from the iPad to the Mac. The only thing that doesn't work is AVID Control. I have allowed all TCP/UDP traffic from iPad to the DAW in the firewall.

The only thing that DOES work however is connecting when the Wifi is enabled on the MAC connected to the same SSID/Network. I can enable the iPad in Eucon and I can then disable Wifi on the Mac and it will then keep on working across the net with the iPad connecting to the VLAN via the Ubiquity AP and the MAC via the normal ethernet connection. Only the initial connect only works when both are in the same Wifi.

Very odd. I guess it's because they can see each other from within the AP for the connect.

But why does this not work without turning on Wifi on the Mac side? I have tried everything from rules wide open on the firewall (pfsense) to specifically allowing all traffic iPad IP to MAC IP. No difference.

Any other idea?

I tried the recommendations in the tech info (IGMP snooping off etc. etc., no difference). mDNS (Bonjour) is enabled as well.

This is with the latest AVID Control app and Eucon version

Thanks!

Frank.

Last edited by Frank Kruse; 10-14-2020 at 08:21 AM.
Old 10-17-2020, 06:35 AM

Default Re: Which IP ports for AVID Control?

Ok so I did some more digging and it turns out that as soon as the network carrying the Eucon traffic is set to a virtual interface (tagged VLAN under network prefs) the Eucon client will not see the iPads for initial contact.

As soon as you've made contact by connecting to wifi you can switch off wifi and the traffic will continue to flow across the wire which is weird.

So I guess the Eucon client simply doesn't fully support the use of virtual interfaces on OSX.

Does anyone know? Bit of a bummer as several other MFGs do this and I can't possibly add another physical network card for every single protocol I need to receive. So far those would be Dante, (wired) Eucon for Artist controllers, AVID Control coming in on a VLAN from the WIFI AP, plus a bunch of other VLAN tags I need to be able to access.

My mac only has 2 physical ports and one I already need for the Artists and I don't want to have Wifi on for security reasons.

Thanks!

Frank.
Old 10-19-2020, 04:50 PM
Avid

Can you not put a router on the EUCON port to serve both the Surfaces and the Tablets? Thats the recommended way.
Old 10-20-2020, 01:49 AM

Thanks Eddie,

I have it setup that way. The iPad are on their own SSID and VLAN on the Ubiquity AP and land on the same VLAN that has the DAWs on them.

After hours of packet capture and Wireshark analysis I have now found that the data flows fine between the devices but the initial broadcast the AVID Control sends out is simply not seen by Eucon on the Mac if you have that subnet setup as a virtual interface tagged to that VLAN in system prefs on the Mac. The actual control data flows just fine once they are connected.
I've opened a support case but so far no body was able to tell me which TCP/UDP ports are used by these programs or if virtual interfaces should work.

Log story short, virtual interfaces sort of work but only if you initiate the connect over a physical port.

Unfortunately Dante DVS doesn't support virtual interfaces either so I have now changed everything so that Dante, Eucon flows on the same untagged VLAN. Not ideal as I wanted to keep Dante on a separate subnet but so far it has been working. Even though Eucon wants IGMP snooping turned off and Dante wants it on (as per the read-mes) . I have it on to avoid multicast overload on all network ports and it still all seems to work.

I can't isolate the iPads only for Eucon as I'm using other remote apps to control my monitor matrix. The latter seem to work fine even with virtual interfaces on the Mac.

It's a bit ironic that networking is to keep everything flowing across a single wire but then some protocols insist on living on their own on a dedicated physical network interface.

It took days to narrow this down but it seems to be stable now.

Thanks,

Frank.

Last edited by Frank Kruse; 10-20-2020 at 02:35 AM.
Old 10-20-2020, 07:17 AM
Avid

Can you do one check for me. EUCON relies on Bonjour. Can you run a Bonjour Browser and see if its getting the Control App added. The issue could be Bonjour not EUCON.
Old 10-20-2020, 07:44 AM

Yes it does in my current setup. I'll have to change the network to the old one (with that subnet on a virtual interface) for comparison.

I do know that even on the old setup Spancontrol ( for the Spanner plugin) and the Xilica Control app worked, just not AVID Control. The two former also use Bonjour.

I even tried running Avahi on the firewall which re-transmits mDNS (Bonjour) across subnets but it didn't help. At any given time Spancontrol kept working. hm...

I'll have to wait for some downtime to check the old setup with that tool. I'll post back.

F.
Old 10-20-2020, 07:48 AM
Avid

Thanks...it would be a good data point.
Old 10-21-2020, 01:27 AM

I'll leave this here in case someone else gets stuck.

Support has gotten back to me and said that virtual interfaces are not supported. Case closed for now I guess.

Frank.
Old 10-21-2020, 08:59 AM
Avid

Thats the official Avid line (we can't support virtual interfaces) but I'm the Product Manager/Designer so am interested in the use case and whether we can get it to work etc. So please ping back if you every get to do the Bonjour test on EUCON.
Old 10-21-2020, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieJones View Post
Thats the official Avid line (we can't support virtual interfaces) but I'm the Product Manager/Designer so am interested in the use case and whether we can get it to work etc. So please ping back if you every get to do the Bonjour test on EUCON.
Ah, OK, no problem. I'll report back when I get a moment to test this.

Thanks Eddie!

Frank.