Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11

Old 10-20-2020, 02:52 PM

Default SCREEN FREEZE when opening older, larger projects.

I'm experiencing complete screen lock up, requiring hard reboot.
PT 11.3.1, HP Z400 Workstation, 16 gigs RAM, fresh factory restore and then upgrade to W10 Pro... (freeze up before and after), see Sandra Report PDF for more info. It hasn't happened on smaller, simpler projects... yet. Sometimes it will open up but then freeze up shortly after hitting play. Sometimes I might not even get the larger project open and the screen freezes in place. Any ideas?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Sandra Report.pdf (698.0 KB, 0 views)
Old 10-21-2020, 06:45 AM

Default Re: SCREEN FREEZE when opening older, larger projects.

Try opening these older projects with plugins inactive(Hold the SHIFT key while opening the session). If that allows the session to open, then its very likely some plugin at fault.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 10-21-2020, 05:06 PM

Thank you bro. I was able to open up a project and play it after shift key load. Then slowly started activating plugins. It finally froze up after a dozen or so. All onboard or Waves plugins. FYI: the load meters aren't peaking when it freezes. Thanks for helping me get this far. At least I can possibly try rebuilding one of these songs.
Old 10-22-2020, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grjake View Post
Thank you bro. I was able to open up a project and play it after shift key load. Then slowly started activating plugins. It finally froze up after a dozen or so. All onboard or Waves plugins. FYI: the load meters aren't peaking when it freezes. Thanks for helping me get this far. At least I can possibly try rebuilding one of these songs.
Big fun! What version of Waves(7, 8, 9 10, etc)? Maybe something needs an update? Troubleshooting can be a PITA so be methodical with it. I use the modifier key(Alt for us Windows users) and activate a row of plugins at a time(with a single command). and that can help pin down your choices a lot. Once you know which row matters, its fairly quick to narrow down which exact plugin(s) are the culprit.

Old 10-25-2020, 11:39 AM

I still haven't figured out what is causing complete lock-up. If I load a song with Shift key, I can get it open fine and play the song. Then as I start activating plugins, eventually it'll freeze. It isn't spiking load meter when it freezes. I have Waves V11 plugins and stock AIR plugins. AIR seems fine as I'm activating. It seems to freeze on Waves plugin's activation. I was working on a particular song as early as 2019 and now I'm getting screen freeze. Since then, I've upgraded to W10 and upgraded to 16gb of ram.

Could it be NVidia FX1800 card? Should I upgrade to Waves V12? Should I upgrade Pro Tools? Should I buy a new HP Workstation? All the above??? Please Help me decide what to do.
Old 10-26-2020, 11:03 AM

Looking over the Sandra report, I suspect it may be mixing old and new(er), specifically, PT11 and Waves 11(going to Waves 12 seems like a worse idea to me). Beyond that, it is a fairly old PC with an X58 chipset and DDR3 RAM. I would check with Waves and see if they can provide you with version 9 or 10 of your plugins. As for the Nvidia card, I have never had an issue with any nVidia card, but I would try updating the driver from the nVidia website(not from HP). Updating the PC will get expensive really fast, but I was quite happy with a used HP z820 12 core I had(and sold last year with the rest of my commercial studio).

How bad would it be to remove Waves? What plugins can you not live without? While I have my list of waves I can't do without, I have seen others have scrapped them all and are quite happy about it