Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)

Old 10-21-2020, 05:26 AM

Default Re: Upgraded to HDX from HD3-Issues

I wonder if the Eucon driver could cause this.
I had two computers running Logic that had the spinning beach ball
for a minute when creating a track, but only the first time after a computer restart. Could quit Logic, open again, and then all was fine. Manage a bunch of other Macs running Logic without a problem. Eventually found that the difference was Eucon on the two computers. Uninstalled Eucon and all was fine again. Just thinking that although Logic and not Pro Tools, the similarity is that it only happened after the first boot of the computer. There was no uninstaller so simply trashed everything Eucon/Euphonix after doing a Command-F search including system and invisible files.

Jesper
Old 10-21-2020, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesele View Post
I wonder if the Eucon driver could cause this.
I had two computers running Logic that had the spinning beach ball
for a minute when creating a track, but only the first time after a computer restart. Could quit Logic, open again, and then all was fine. Manage a bunch of other Macs running Logic without a problem. Eventually found that the difference was Eucon on the two computers. Uninstalled Eucon and all was fine again. Just thinking that although Logic and not Pro Tools, the similarity is that it only happened after the first boot of the computer. There was no uninstaller so simply trashed everything Eucon/Euphonix after doing a Command-F search including system and invisible files.

Jesper
I haven’t tried getting the EUCON software off the machine. Definitely going to try that as well. I hope that isn’t the solution cuz that’d leave me with 4 expensive doorstops for the studio. PT10HD and the older EUCON software worked well for me. Once I saw the new folder tracks feature, I was finally ready to upgrade. Unfortunately for me right now...with great features comes greater instability.
Old 10-21-2020, 10:37 AM

If that is the problem maybe we could get Avid to fix it with a new driver.

Jesper
Old 10-22-2020, 09:30 AM

Well... Avid tech support was scheduled to call me yesterday. Nothing. That didn’t happen. Tried calling 2x today and got hung up on both times thru the automated service. When I did reach a person, they sent me to Sibelius licensing and that person said everyone is busy. Ridiculous.

Just another sloppy issue...when I upgraded to HDX and Ultimate, I received 2 emails thanking me and giving me codes etc.. At the bottom of both emails are contact numbers for customer support. When I called them the first time I used those numbers and the lines are disconnected. Why can’t they update their information on an automated email response? Terrible. I miss Digidesign and their territorial reps.
Old 10-29-2020, 07:22 PM

Update for those having similar issues:
I tried a number of things and finally have the machine working without the massive number of 9093 errors. The weird issue of having a 9093 after launching PT for the first time of the day hasn’t happened either.

I had hyperthreading turned off via terminal. I turned it back on and downloaded CPU Setter. I disabled hyperthreading using CPU Setter instead. Interestingly, under about this Mac- system report- hardware, it says hyperthreading is enabled. I spoke to Bryan Christianson the developer of CPU Setter. He said “ CPUSetter works by disabling the virtual cores. Hyperthreading is still enabled in the hardware, hence the System Report entry) but only the physical cores will be scheduled. And yes - you need to have CPUSetter running for this. On exit, CPUSetter re-enables all the cores (physical + virtual).”

Now..why this works better... I do not know and don’t care. All I know is Pro Tools is running much better. Zooming in an out are smoother as well. It feels more like a Mac again. Hope this helps someone.
Old 10-30-2020, 12:33 AM

Hyperthreading is not a matter AT ALL these days, so uninstall all third party applications regarding that. Should be activated at all times.
My experience as being a late upgrader from HD TDM to HDX is that it crasches way more, TDM never crashed, but over time you learn how to avoid crashes.
Most important advice is:
With Pro Tools playing you can’t insert a plugin that will make that channelstrip the new strip with most latency. PT will crash 10 out of 10 times.
Inserting UAD-plugins in particular, do it with transport stopped.
Old 10-30-2020, 03:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firechild View Post
Hyperthreading is not a matter AT ALL these days, so uninstall all third party applications regarding that. Should be activated at all times.
I don’t know how you can do confidently state that. This issue has always been very dependent on the exact plugins and workload. If people find disabling hyper threading helps with their plugin and workloads that seems pretty compelling proof there are issues and it’s something worth trying.
Old 10-30-2020, 03:56 AM

Thanks for alle the info. Once in a while I’m thinking of switching to HDX as I was a long time user of Pro Tools III, Mix and HD systems. But threads like this one take me back into reality. I stay native.

Best

Mark
Old 10-30-2020, 04:55 AM

And sorry for being a Betty Downer but HDX is 9-10 years old now so you might want to think about that. And with all the voice problems and promised from Avid to up them but all of a sudden they renegged on that saying older HDX cards would break so the upping of the voices ended up being dropped. But you can ”Buy” more viice packs hahaha Thanks Avid

We have 2 HDX cards in the storage room not used for 3 years or more which should say something here!

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 10-30-2020, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
And sorry for being a Betty Downer but HDX is 9-10 years old now so you might want to think about that. And with all the voice problems and promised from Avid to up them but all of a sudden they renegged on that saying older HDX cards would break so the upping of the voices ended up being dropped. But you can ”Buy” more viice packs hahaha Thanks Avid

We have 2 HDX cards in the storage room not used for 3 years or more which should say something here!

When I wake up and get back my sanity I think like you do…