Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows

Old 10-19-2020, 03:29 PM

Default Windows and Mac at the same time

hi!

i'm thinking of buying a surface laptop 3 as a second (on the go) computer for protools. I already own an IMAC 2020 but my old macbook pro from late 2013 is starting to get really slow speacially when working with image.

I wanted to buy a macbook air 2020 but I found out that surface laptop is way better for the same price.

But I have never worked with protools on a Windows so I wanted to know if I can have all of my waves and izotope plug-ins in both machines (mac and windows) with no problems, also if my licenses are going to work fine, and the files can be send from one OS to the other with no problem.
Old 10-19-2020, 04:31 PM

Default Re: Windows and Mac at the same time

Way better? Maybe. The first question I would ask is does the Surface Laptop 3 actually run Pro Tools OK? Can you find people doing that? Or if you buy one can you test fast enough and return it if it has issues.

Licensing for iZotope and Avid plugins and Pro Tools are trivial to move between systems on an iLok. Waves you can read up on how to do that on their website.

You can move sessions between systems, over a network or say on an USB stick formatted as exFAT (but do not run the sessions there, copy them to the computers)... but how easy this is depends on you learning Windows.

You may want the same releases of Pro Tools and plugins running on both systems, and that may create problems getting all the software components compatible.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 10-19-2020 at 04:44 PM.
Old 10-19-2020, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAS1503 View Post
... I have never worked with protools on a Windows ...
Win & Mac at the same time? Sure. I've worked both platforms for a long time. I own Win rigs, and freelance on various Mac rigs.

Win 10 is - for the most part - a stable OS for ProTools. The Win security updates/feature updates/build versions are just that ... i.e. they are not an entirely new OS version like Mac. Each Mac OS version seems to bugger up Pro-Tools; in general Macs are much more particular as to which exact PTools version will work with which exact Mac OS version.

Regarding the Surface (or any Windows rig for PTools, really) I'd buy the best Intel CPU available. Nvidea GPU. 32GB ram.

My 2 cents!
Click for audio/video demo
Click for resume
Old 10-20-2020, 04:12 AM

Have both here too.

Different PT versions. 12.7.1 & 2019.12

Same set of plugs on both. Some licences to both machines. Some to iLok that goes between.

PT session files goes between using USB memory.
I use that very USB stick to store and keep the latest versions. So I copy to C then back again when done. I back it up using my routines for backing up the Mac.

Documents, links & tutorials etc on Google Drive and in browser bookmarks for universal access.

For me it easily gets kinda messy regarding where latest PT session files version is located. Sometimes .bak file dates was in a mess and had to manually delete. So in my experience good routines and structure of managing PT files was my learning.

/FZZ

Skickat från min Moto G (5) via Tapatalk
Old 10-20-2020, 05:53 PM

I've migrated from Mac to Windows this year and the things I've noted.
>Pro Tools for Windows is ugly! Its looks all blocky and cheap.
>If you do ADR there is pretty much no software available with Windows
>The avid recommended optimisations did almost nothing for my stability issues, it was all core affinity settings that helped, so do your googling on that subject.
>Source Connect is setup differently and the website info is very Mac biased
>But you can save a ton of money with a PC, so buy yourself something nice!