Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started

Old 10-20-2020, 03:42 PM

Default Can I pay Avid to install Pro Tools First?

I bought an Alesis V49 keyboard and downloaded Pro Tools First as part of the purchase. I am not a technical person and cannot get any sound. I looked at forum posts and that did not help.

Does Avid provide paid support for someone to access my computer remotely and make sure the download and set up are correct? The customer service phone asks me for a support code and I do not have one.

Please contact me if you can help.

Thanks
Old 10-20-2020, 04:19 PM

Default Re: Can I pay Avid to install Pro Tools First?

Avid support is probably the wrong place for that. And unfortunately DUC is as well, but if you start following instructions and videos you find online and get stuck then ask here and point to what instructions you are following.

But... Pro Tools First would not be my top recommendation, especially for less technical folks. Since you are on Windows I would recommend you install Reaper, it’s usually easier to setup and more reliable than Pro Tools and Pro Tools First. If you need Pro Tools compatibility (which First does not really deliver) then I would suggest trialing Pro Tools Ultimate (free 1 month trial) ... but again if you want to avoid technical complexity go with Reaper.

But do you have an install or a how to use problem? If you have installed First and “cannot get any sound” and want help here you need to explain exactly what you mean and are doing.

what is the setup>playback engine set to? Where are you expecting the sound to play out of?

Create an empty session and drag and drop a known good mp3 or similar commercial song onto the edit window and let it create a stereo audio track... get that to play back OK... before worrying about your keyboard.

Likely new user issues for working with midi keyboards is not using an instrument track or not having a VI (virtual instrument) plugin inserted on that track. You should find a tutorial about that on YouTube and get the Mini Grand VI working.
Old 10-20-2020, 04:19 PM

Default Re: Can I pay Avid to install Pro Tools First?

That's not really going to work, but you do have some good options. Here are some:
1-Go to youtube and watch some video tutorials on getting started with Pro Tools, or How to setup a midi keyboard in Pro Tools,or any other thing you want to learn.

2-Check out Groove 3 as they have some of the best tutorials available. They are not free, but everyone I have sent there has been very happy with the value.

3-Post an ad in your local craigslist and local music stores and say Looking for basic Pro Tools lessons-price is negotiable. The help you need isn't going to come over a phone line. Its getting a little "one on one" help in person that's going to help move you forward

4-You might consider another DAW for your starting point as some are much easier to get going. Cakewalk by Bandcamp is free and quite capable. Cockos Reaper is another that is free to demo(as long as you want) and cheap to buy. Either of these is likely to be easier to get going. PT First is really just a teaser to get you to buy the full version(it is very limited) and sadly, it is not the easiest software to master

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave