Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)

Old 10-31-2020, 11:48 AM

Default Re: Upgraded to HDX from HD3-Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
And sorry for being a Betty Downer but HDX is 9-10 years old now so you might want to think about that. And with all the voice problems and promised from Avid to up them but all of a sudden they renegged on that saying older HDX cards would break so the upping of the voices ended up being dropped. But you can ”Buy” more viice packs hahaha Thanks Avid

We have 2 HDX cards in the storage room not used for 3 years or more which should say something here!

I can understand not using the HDX cards for mixing considering Ultimate will give you 384 voices native verses 256 with the card and latency really isn’t relevant.

My question is:
Are you able to put 32-48 tracks in record using all external mic pres (no console) 5-8 separate headphone mixes all while having 16 pre recorded trax playing back with plugins going without issue running native? What interfaces are you using?

My TDM rig would do it without a problem. My HDX rig will do it now without errors and latency. The sessions I do are usually 3-8 session players tracking at the same time.

I’ve worked in a few studios with multiple Apollos with the UA Console on the front end. The latency wasn’t a problem but the workflow was definitely not for me and they were all a bit glitchy losing connection with plugins etc.

I’d be interested in knowing a way to do what I’m doing without HDX and without running a separate software console alongside PT.
Old 10-31-2020, 03:11 PM

We do popmusic you hear on the radio like Iheartradio and KIISFM etc and run all tracking thru our SSL 4056G+ console and then to tape 24” or to our Apollo X Series interfaces and never have any issues. Since there’s nothing today with Zero latency we can run at 64 or 32 with our massively powered new 7.1 Mac Pro’s so thats a lot of firing power too.

I just got tired of the constant issues with HDX and we basically never even record with PTU anymore. Logic X 10.5 or Live10 Suite and mix the stems in PTU later. With WARP in Live we can change the tempo on a session within a sec

And We dont record 32-48 tracks at once ever. Live has soo many other quick features that makes PT feel like a dinosaur but PT is way better looking and layout I admit

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 11-01-2020, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
I do not see a reason for ever running normal... that advice makes no sense. unless there is so little memory in the system you cannot set any useful cache size... not the case here. As I said before... you should confirm you’re session fully caches into whatever size cache you set it to... and wait to see the session fully loads... that’s the best way to help eliminate IO issues...and run on NVMe SSD will make those load times very fast. None of this should be a requirement, but when facing these sort of issues I would just want to crush every possible thing, be as conservative/paranoid as possible.
Darryl,
I enjoy reading your great advice over the years! There is one thing that I have found that does work best ... running at "Normal". It is counter intuitive, that is bigger is better. Since I was a Beta tester for years I have gotten to know many people whom I respect from both Avid ( Digi) and major Studios with hundreds of rigs and they told me to run at "Normal". Since then I have had very few issues . I have crashed or had errors maybe once every 4 + months on HUGE Sessions. Try running at "Normal" . It works!
IMDB http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0401937/
Like everything in life, there are no guarantees just opportunities.
Old 11-01-2020, 07:35 AM

Of course “normal” works. It has worked for years for many people. But when trying to isolate problems a fixed size cache operates differently than normal and removes a lot of extra IO overhead. If you are running on a sufficiently fast storage you might not notice any meaningful difference. If users are chasing problems and have the extra memory available then ensuring they have a fixed cache size and the sessions are being fully cached can be a useful step. And for many production users, with heavy IO workloads, slower storage, RAID/SAN/NAS it can be a significant improvement. In this case of somebody troubleshooting a problem it makes little sense to suggest they set the cache to normal, leave it cached while continuing to troubleshoot other things unless their system is memory constrained.

But in this case it seems like storage has nothing to do with the initial error, but my comments were more for the general case where folks are not sure. Starting with a fully cached session will help folks determine if their initial 9093 error is IO related or not.