Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 10-17-2020, 12:41 AM

Default Use dual GPUs cards for Snow Leopard and Mojave?

I have Pro Tools 8 HD system which I cannot afford to update for now. It runs on a Mac Pro 5,1 under Snow Leopard with a Radeon 5770 HD card. I can also boot into Sierra from another drive to use recent music notation software – all working very well.

I'm getting to the point where I will need to update the latter option to at least Mojave for forthcoming notation upgrades and I believe the Radeon 5770 does not support beyond High Sierra. A second computer is also not an option.

Does anyone know whether I could add a second GPU card to the MacPro enabling it to boot into Mojave and use an HDMI switch for the monitors? I believe that the Mac would boot into Mojave providing there is a compatible card inside?

If anyone has any knowledge or experience it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.