Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 10-15-2020, 03:32 PM

Default Could not complete the Open Session command because while translating Memory List

Hello all

Been working on my tracks since upgrading to a new pc a few months ago and everything seems great, i was working on this certain session last night, everythings fine, saved it, turned my pc off went to bed and then woke up launched protools again. when i load my session file it begins to open but then it reverses and says "closing". then this message appears. does anyone know why i am getting this message?

""Could not complete the Open Session command because while translating Memory Location List""

Very frustrating. so i have restarted my pc and tried 2 more times but same again.
Old 10-15-2020, 04:03 PM

Default Re: Could not complete the Open Session command because while translating Memory List

Have you tried trashing preferences?

And a Google search brings up a few suggestions as well.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 10-15-2020, 06:08 PM

Default Re: Could not complete the Open Session command because while translating Memory List

Hey thanks for the reply. appreciated

i am using duckduckgo.com and did not think to use google for threads, posts, infomation ect and searched it. tried alot of things that people did who had the same error message. it looks like some people fix it with different things like trashing preferences, ownership changes to files ect. not i unfortunately

So i did just that. i trashed the preferences and still no luck.
i also uninstalled protools 12.5.0 and all of the preferences and reinstalled
still no luck

so i have opened the track again but this time i used a session file back up and done that with the last 3 backups and didnt work same message. i opened the 4th to last session file and it has opened. and am currently using it.

still curious to know whats causing issues related to the message if anyone has infomation would be appreciated

also have an avid support query pending so i will post it on here for people if i hear back with a solution.
Old 10-15-2020, 06:11 PM

The behavior is telling you it's a corrupted session.

Possibly a bug in one of your plugins or Pro Tools that you happened to hit. Not clear you can do much, maybe check plugins installed are the latest compatible ones...
Old 10-16-2020, 07:21 AM

Have you tried opening the affected session without plug-ins?

Formerly hobotom

HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 10-16-2020, 08:07 AM

As Tom said, holding the SHIFT key while opening a session will make all plugins inactive, so that's an easy experiment. But....

Based on that specific message, I would create a new blank session(same settings) and then use Import Session Data to bring in everything ****EXCEPT**** open the "what to import" window and un-check Memory Locations. Maybe the corruption is confined to that one item

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 10-19-2020, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
As Tom said, holding the SHIFT key while opening a session will make all plugins inactive, so that's an easy experiment. But....

Based on that specific message, I would create a new blank session(same settings) and then use Import Session Data to bring in everything ****EXCEPT**** open the "what to import" window and un-check Memory Locations. Maybe the corruption is confined to that one item
Hey guys thanks for all the information. I did try holding shift down to make all in active plug-ins. That did not work for my problem.

I did do what you suggested albee1952
And it worked. I created a new session file same settings and unchecked memory locations.

So i haven't got memory locations in this session but because its nearly complete i don't need them anymore. really appreciate all of you taking time out of you're day to help. i hope it all comes back to you when you guys ever get stuck.

Cheers homies!
Old 10-20-2020, 08:35 AM

Cool that it all worked out.

Formerly hobotom

HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs

www.metrostudios.com
Old 10-22-2020, 06:33 PM

I was having this same issue and tried everything, creating a new session and importing everything with "memory locations" unchecked fixed it for me. You're a legend, thanks for the tip!
Old 01-27-2023, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post

Holding the shift down when opening the session works for me. I tried importing in a new session with the same settings but all the plugins disappeared.