Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows

Old 01-04-2021, 07:38 AM

Default Re: CPU peak in simple session with 24 cores and 128 gB ram

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mat_1196 View Post
Hello Everyone,

I recently upgraded my home studio setup (interface and computer) and upgrade to Pro Tools 2020.12.0.

As you can see in my signature, my computer should be quite capable of handling demanding session.

I had a Precision T3610 before and could run large session without getting into too much trouble with CPU in pro tools 10.

I tried all the recommended Windows settings and tweaks to optimize my computer, but I still have CPU peaks with only three tracks. It results in audible audio clicks.
Bonjour

I will be that guy again (is it me ?). I think if you look up those processors on a CPU Bench site you will find that the single core performance is quite low (https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare...s3593vs1799vs2). This, on top of the overhead from running a dual CPU system, is likely part of the problem. These big servers were not designed for low latency - they are optimized for throughput, so on paper it looks like a powerful system, but in reality a newer (cheaper) medium level processor would be better. Those old Xeons have the same single core performance as a i7 2600K - which would not be a great experience with modern Pro Tools. In addition, I seem to recall there was some extra overhead with these dual CPU systems to keep everything in sync. You might get better performance if you can disable one of the CPUs. Maybe. YMMV. IMHO.

ejinbc
Old 01-04-2021, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Uncheck "ignore errors" while troubleshooting. It will mask/hinder solving any problems. You hopefully will get a DAE error then instead of clicks and pops... then solve for thats DAE error.

It's a fresh pro tools install? What does that mean?

Were there any past Pro Tools installs? Or any third party plugins you have installed for for other DAWs? They will often install .aaxplugin files which any new Pro Tools install will just load. If there is any possibility of this you should do the test or moving all .aaxplugin files out of the plugin folder and let Pro Tools put back the default plugins.

Pay attention to all the usual Windows optimization things, double check you have done all of them, including all the BIOS settings, cstate etc., then especially do the CPU priority and affinity tweeks which are not usually on the Avid optimization lists but are well discussed on DUC recently.

You are not trying to run at a very high sample rate are you?
Hi Darryl,

I've disabled the Ignore errors option as hearing the clicks and dropouts is my only way of troubleshooting.

I'm running at 48kHZ and 24 bits. So nothing too fancy here.

By fresh install I meant it's a new install of Pro Tools with only stock plugins and it's the first install.

I've also installed Presonus Studio One, so maybe there is something to check here with plugins. No, I never ran Pro Tools and S1 at the same time...

I'll try the CPU tweeks.
Nvidia GTX 1080
Windows 10
Presonus Studiolive 24R
Old 01-04-2021, 11:03 AM

Remember if you are installing third party plugins for Studio One, even demo plugins, many of them will install plugins for Pro Tools as well. If it was me I'd. just move all the .aaxplugin files out of the plugin folder and put them anywhere else, then trash prefs and restart Pro Tools, it will automagically put back the default plugins. That is the way of absolutely being sure you clean out installed plugins. A bad/incompatible plug-in can cause all sorts of CPU problems even if not used in a session. While that might not be happening here if there is any chance of third party plugins having been installed it takes a few minutes to absolutely exclude it as a factor. Just installing Pro Tools or uninstalling it does *not* remove plugins. The next install risks finding any garbage left there.
Old 01-05-2021, 12:54 AM

Hi everyone,

So I tried the plugin folder removal, the affinity trick, and nothing really works.

So I decided to give Presonus Studio one a go. Maybe, i thought it could work better if the problem was between Windows and Pro tools. Unfortunately, or fortunately, Presonus was giving me the same audio clicks and drops with a session with just a track. I was desperate.

But I decided to monitor the computer activity so I looked in the task manager while running pro tools and saw an anormal "System Interrupt" jumping from time to time to 7%.

So after some research, I found two software that I ran, DPClatency program and Latency Monitor.

Both where showing drivers issues that where killing the real time audio capabilities.

One of the culprit is the onboard network adapter, at least one of the two available port on the T7610.

As my Pro Tools needs the Pace Cloud to be authorized, I was lucky enough to find that one of the Ethernet port doesn't screw the real time audio capabilities.

So I was able to record 11 Tracks at 64 latency settings without getting clicks and pops.

I attached some screenshots, one from DPClatency before killing the network adapter and one from LatencyMon after disabling the adapter.

It may needs some more tweaks to get a really stable but so far, this is encouraging and it can be used.

So thanks everyone for your help! Really appreciated!

I keep you posted if I found a better setting.

Thanks you!!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DPC Latency Screenshot.JPG (63.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg LatenyMon_Screenshot_Without Network.jpg (35.5 KB, 0 views)
Nvidia GTX 1080
Windows 10
Presonus Studiolive 24R
Old 01-05-2021, 01:00 AM

Hi again,

I did the affinity tweek and remove the 2 first core of the 1st processor, but in Pro tools system usage I was still seeing all the 24 cores.

So I'm not sure it worked as it should. So I give it another go.

Thanks
Nvidia GTX 1080
Windows 10
Presonus Studiolive 24R
Old 01-05-2021, 11:45 AM

How did you set the Processor Affinity? How do you open/run Pro Tools? In my case - I use the Command Switch within the PT shortcut Icon - it won't work if I've set Pro Tools to Run As Administrator and/or I open Pro Tools by double clicking on a session icon.

And this: "As my Pro Tools needs the Pace Cloud to be authorized..." is, IMHO and many others, not a good idea. Get a physical iLok and put your license there. Any glitch in your Internet connection could cause Pro Tools to stop working. Certainly, if you lose your Internet connection, Pro Tools definitely won't work.
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 01-05-2021, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Weed View Post
How did you set the Processor Affinity? How do you open/run Pro Tools? In my case - I use the Command Switch within the PT shortcut Icon - it won't work if I've set Pro Tools to Run As Administrator and/or I open Pro Tools by double clicking on a session icon.

And this: "As my Pro Tools needs the Pace Cloud to be authorized..." is, IMHO and many others, not a good idea. Get a physical iLok and put your license there. Any glitch in your Internet connection could cause Pro Tools to stop working. Certainly, if you lose your Internet connection, Pro Tools definitely won't work.
Hi The Weed,

I start protools without opening a session, then go to the task manager and set the affinity. Then I open a session, but still can see all cores working. I did not try the " permanent" method yet.

I got the new "licences" by the surrender of a perpetual licence. I had to choose from my Ilok account the licence to surrender. Then everything as been done automatically. I only have an Ilok 1 and I don't know if I can use it. I did try to move the licence back from the cloud though.

Thanks

Envoyé de mon SM-G973F en utilisant Tapatalk
Nvidia GTX 1080
Windows 10
Presonus Studiolive 24R