Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-31-2010, 08:40 AM

Default ProTools bugging when switching to Finder during bounce

Hi,

Weīre running PT 8.0.2 cs1 on MacPro 2.66 quad, OS 10.6.2.

Whenever i Bounce and switch to finder to prepare an email or using the internet or browsing for sound effecs in my library, or doing anything else, as a matter of fact, I get these annoying bugs when switching back to protools.

1. Canīt quit ProTools properly, not by key, not in the menu.
2. Canīt move regions. Only movable by using + and -. Not the handtool.
3. Canīt create memory locations by using "enter" on numpad. Only thru the menu in the memorylocations window.
4. Canīt drag regions from the audiopool to the editwindow.

The only thing that fixes this is to force PT to quick, then reboot the system.

We have two similar not yet identical rigs in the studio and we suffers from the same errors on both machines.

Does ANYONE recognize this problem?

Let me know if You do!

Kind regards, Fredrik
Old 05-31-2010, 08:49 AM

Default Re: ProTools bugging when switching to Finder during bounce

Its always been my understanding that you shouldnt do anything else during a bounce. But Im still in 7.4 and havent used 8 much.
Old 05-31-2010, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneboy View Post
Its always been my understanding that you shouldnt do anything else during a bounce.
Yet another justification for using RTT/RTD.. To the OP, sounds like you have other issues as well. Try cleaning your prefs and databases. SB
Old 06-01-2010, 12:01 AM

Itīs seems absurd that PT gives you the oppurtunity to go to finder when bouncing, if you "Shouldīnt" use it. I can understand it when bouncing a whole song, Iīm making radiocommercials wich lengths are often between 15 to 50 seconds, when bouncing 4-8 spots, not being able doing multitasking is a huge limitation for my workflow.

I canīt recall having this problem under the ppc era with PT 7.4. I do trash the databases and prefs from time to time, but it doesnt seem to help.

Iīve spoken to other PT8 users here in sweden, and no one has heard of this problem, and we have it on 2 machines! Thatīs pretty weird. Makes me think its a software-related bug, from another of our programs. For example, we use NetMix Pro, a MysQl database, for sfx-search and handeling.
Old 06-01-2010, 02:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iOLLE View Post
Hi,

Weīre running PT 8.0.2 cs1 on MacPro 2.66 quad, OS 10.6.2.

Whenever i Bounce and switch to finder to prepare an email or using the internet or browsing for sound effecs in my library, or doing anything else, as a matter of fact, I get these annoying bugs when switching back to protools.
I have never tried to run an Email host or any other application during playout, even in the days when I used to bounce. I don't even do this, when RTD. And as you say, you only have max 50s spots, you should have that time to RTD, and listen back to your mix to confirm that everything is correct.

Quote:
1. Canīt quit ProTools properly, not by key, not in the menu.
2. Canīt move regions. Only movable by using + and -. Not the handtool.
3. Canīt create memory locations by using "enter" on numpad. Only thru the menu in the memorylocations window.
4. Canīt drag regions from the audiopool to the editwindow.
Yep same here, as soon as this appears we save and force quit Pro Tools. At the moment I have the feeling this has something to do with other applications running in the background, as weirdly enough this never or hardly ever happens when there are customers in the studio. Only when we prepare jobs or finalise without customers. And that's when there might be a browser such as Safari, Firefox or Opera running in the background. When we have customers in the studio, the only application running is Pro Tools. But we are still trying to find out if this is the reason for this bug.

I know I can't tell you to change your way of working, but give the RTD a try. I changed about 4 or 5 years ago, and there are so many advantages. And absolutely zero disadvantage.

Advantages:
- Export different formats such as wav, mp3 etc. quicker than bouncing every time
- Destructive punch let's you jump in the middle of the playout when you hear a mistake: that way you don't need to start bouncing again from the top.
- You listen to what you will send!
- You see the waveform as you record.
- You can analyse your mix (such as RMS, Peak etc.)
- You have your mixes inside your session (Good for comparison or just keeping an eye of what has been played out)
- You can RTD all sorts of mixes first and then rename the mixes (less alert windows to click OK)

Hope this helps,
Tim
Old 06-01-2010, 04:33 AM

This bug sounds like the same one that's been doing the rounds for a while.

http://duc.digidesign.com/showthread.php?t=254212

You should note that automatic backups stop working as well. I found that out the hard way...

FWIW I'm still getting it as well, I'm sure it must be an incompatible plug, but I haven't got the time or inclination to find out which one it is.
Old 06-01-2010, 09:57 AM

Get a laptop. Seriously.

Whether BTD or RTD, you should be monitoring the creation of your master file.

I'd bet that most old school PT users wouldn't ask for multiple apps to operate during a bounce or other disk intensive operation (like multi-track recording).

j
Old 06-01-2010, 11:04 AM

I have noticed more instability overall when running Safari and PT at the same time.
Old 06-04-2010, 12:32 AM

Thanks Sean, Iīve been thinking of that too, not Safari specific but i got the supision that itīs a softwarerelated problem caused by some sort of conflict. Local AVID support here in Stockholm hade never heard of this bug, at all.

John, working on multiple computers is not an option. Itīs not that i switch to Chrome or FF to surf the net for my own pleasureīs sake. Itīs more multitasking in the line of my work. Iīve been using ProTools since ī97. Even used Session 8. Back then I wouldt have moved a fin during bounce but itīs 2010 now. Switching to finder when bouncing has been working without problem in older versions, but since PT8 on intel macs its bugging.

I guess i have to try uninstall apps to try eliminate the bug.

Tim, MANY thanks. Finally someone who have the same problem. Iīm not a lunatic and iīm not alone. I have tried RTD but I fell back to the BTD-workflow after about a week, i guess we could have another go at ti. Maybe weīll just have to adapt and overcome as they say, to beat this bug.