Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2023, 05:18 AM

Default Working with Pro Tools over internet.

Hi again!

I was wondering if any of you have developed a reliable method, if any at all, to work with Pro Tools from a location other than where the entire setup is located.

Of course, I'm referring to a simple solution, such as leaving the entire machinery powered on when leaving home and then connecting remotely using remote-access-software.

I am fully aware of the potential challenges associated with this, apart from the remote access itself, which is likely the easiest part. Like: proper audio rendering, optimal screen synch, various types of latency, keyboard shortcuts, and so on.

Perhaps someone already has a functional system of this nature?

P.S. I am not interested in any ultra expensive solutions, with monthly subscription to some fancy relevant services for this etc.

Thanx in advance and regards!
/DV
Old 11-09-2023, 06:21 AM

Default Re: Working with Pro Tools over internet.

It is not clear what you are trying to actually do. Are you mixing only? Where is the source you are recording?

The best way to worke remotely if say mixing is usually to move the content to you via cloud/file sharing services and work on them locally and then reupload them to the cloud.

Modern laptops can run large sessions and lots of people use the "on the road" with or without (if MacBook/MacBook Pros) a portable or transportable interface.
Old 11-09-2023, 06:32 AM

I had to do this during the pandemic and I used TeamViewer. If you want to listen to audio from the remote machine there are several options but SonoBus is free and works well. Obviously there will be latency.

TeamViewer is expensive but there are other options out there for accessing a system remotely. It just depends on how much or how little you’re willing to pay.

It goes without saying that internet speeds make a difference here, as well the computers you’re working with both locally and remotely.
Old 11-09-2023, 12:43 PM

Darryl
Yeah, that's actually a pointful point to point out!

As for now, I only want to be able to apply some daily ideas and also edit to some extent. Nod not necessary mix, for which I would need a realistically rendered sound and no latency.

"Working locally"? What do you mean? The whole point is to use the full capacity of the turned-on machinery at my real place, but remotely. At the other location, I don't want to use anything but the computer itself and phones.

P.S. I don't work on/with laptops. I am allergic to them on molecular level, in all forms and application fields

its2loud
Ok, checked SonoBus on YT. So, it's basically for being able to listen directly to the sound coming from the DAW, right? If so, then it's great!

And TeamViewer would be the one to steer the remote clicking, parallelly with having SonoBus active, I assume. By bringing up the possible costs with TeamViewer, do you mean that the paid version is needed to make it work?

Thanx & regards!
/DV
Old 11-09-2023, 12:48 PM

TeamViewer is free for personal use. If they determine that you’re using it for business they’ll lock you out. There are other similar services.

SonoBus is free and works well as long as you don’t mind limited latency. For lower latency connections you should check out Jacktrip Labs
Old 11-09-2023, 03:50 PM

Myself and others using Pro Tools on Windows have found that AnyDesk and TeamViewer won't allow the use of the Alt key in Pro Tools. I use that modifier key a lot. YMMV.
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 12-28-2023, 07:53 AM

Yes, I've used TeamViewer for free, the paid version simply offers more advanced features. For personal needs, the free version is completely sufficient.
Old 12-28-2023, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Weed View Post
Myself and others using Pro Tools on Windows have found that AnyDesk and TeamViewer won't allow the use of the Alt key in Pro Tools. I use that modifier key a lot. YMMV.
I can use Alt with Pro Tools on Winodws over TeamViewer. (most of the time, I'm doing this Mac > PC or PC > Mac when using Teamviewer and not PC > PC)
Old 12-28-2023, 11:32 AM

I just checked my Internet performance. Just for fun.

DL: 901
UL: 393
Ping: 3ms

So yes I can record from remote location, just need to add 3ms to my roundtrip latency.
Old 01-09-2024, 04:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalVortex View Post
Hi again!

I was wondering if any of you have developed a reliable method, if any at all, to work with Pro Tools from a location other than where the entire setup is located.

Of course, I'm referring to a simple solution, such as leaving the entire machinery powered on when leaving home and then connecting remotely using remote-access-software.

I am fully aware of the potential challenges associated with this, apart from the remote access itself, which is likely the easiest part. Like: proper audio rendering, optimal screen synch, various types of latency, keyboard shortcuts, and so on.

Perhaps someone already has a functional system of this nature?

P.S. I am not interested in any ultra expensive solutions, with monthly subscription to some fancy relevant services for this etc.

Thanx in advance and regards!
/DV
Perfectly clear what you would like to do, and why.

Did you find a good solution?

I tried TeamViewer a few years back with Audiomovers ListenTo for audio, and it worked okay, if a little strange to get used to. I found at the time the pricing structure was a little tricky to understand iirc