Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-11-2017, 02:49 PM

Default Midi audio cuts out

Hoping someone can help I am using a roland TD30 drums to trigger software drum samples such as EZ drummer 2 the problem i am having is sometimes the audio cuts out for a split second the midi notes are still recording at that moment but audio does not when this happens its only the drums sound that is affected not any other track
Please help
Thank you
Old 04-11-2017, 08:36 PM

Default Re: Midi audio cuts out

Need full details on the computer to offer any help. I used a Roland TD-10 kit for years with EZDrummer, Superior Drums2 and Addictive Drums and had no such problems. Shooting from the hip, maybe your computer is under-powered or you need more RAM

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 04-12-2017, 04:48 AM

I'm going to play psychic here and hazard the following guesses:
samples not on separate drive
if they are then it's a slow drive
the drive is somehow losing communication with the computer
the op is using the USB port for MIDI and the port has gone to power savings mode (this is prevalent on Windows)
not enough ram in the computer

Without system info it's hard to say and even looking at the op's profile I see he's on a Mac but is running PT10.3.9 (if his profile is right)

QAPLA!
Old 04-12-2017, 10:17 PM

here are the specs of my computer
OSX 10.8.5
Processor 3.2 GHZ intel core 13
16 gig memory
Hope this helps
Old 04-13-2017, 04:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 34coupe View Post
here are the specs of my computer
OSX 10.8.5
Processor 3.2 GHZ intel core 13
16 gig memory
Hope this helps
Still not enough info to give a complete answer. What exact Mac do you have? How are you connecting the TD30 brain to your computer - 5 pin MIDI or USB? Where are your samples stored? What system drive do you have? Go to 'About this Mac' in the Apple menu at the upper left of the computer screen and then click on 'more info'. This will open the System Profiler. Click on the 'hardware' entry in the left pane and in the right pane you'll see the model name and model identifier - we need that. Also click on serial-ata in the left pane and in the right hand pane should be a listing of what drive(s) you have in your computer. We need the info in the lower right hand pane.

Going from the little you gave us (and this isn't letting you off the hook) there's a couple of things that jump right off the page: that i3 cpu is way underpower for PT12 (i5 is the minimum) and OSX 10.8.5 is only supported below PT12.5 and that brings up yet another missing bit of info: what exact PT12 version do you have? For system requirements see this page: http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/c...m-Requirements

There is no such thing as TMI (too much information) when asking for help. A lot of people put their system specs in their profile but it's apparent yours may not be up to date.

QAPLA!
Old 04-13-2017, 08:34 AM

Off hand, I'd say the i3 is probably to blame. The i3 is a "budget" processor and Pro Tools needs a "power" processor(which is why i7 is recommended, i5 is borderline and i3 is not recommended) Next(since we still don't have all the info we need), are you recording to your system drive(IOW, does your computer only have a single hard drive)? If so, and the drive is NOT an SSD, that is a problem(doubly so if the drive is slow, like 5900 or 5400 rpm, or if its a FUSION drive, which are known to be troublesome for most).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave