Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-11-2017, 09:35 AM

Default Commit to New Playlist on the same traxk

So I'm a recent v12 upgraded, and just started playing with the track commit feature.

Is there no way to consolidate a bunch of clips and commit them to a new playlist on the same track? This would be very useful for printing elastic audio, or a track that has been tuned one melodyne.

I guess I can always just drag the committed clip onto a new playlist on the original track, and trash the new track, but that's only a little less work than my old manual v11 method, and a lot of the value of the commit feature is mostly lost on me.

Thanks!

www.merlotembargo.com
Old 04-11-2017, 09:56 AM

Default Re: Commit to New Playlist on the same traxk

Maybe review your workflow here. In reading and thinking about your process, and a few things come to mind:
1-as for turning lots of edits into a single file, simply consolidate.
2-With Elastic Audio, just turn it off and COMMIT the elastic edits.
3-with Melodyne, since its usually the last process to a comped and tweaked track, I use "Commit up to this plugin" and let it create a new track, and make the original inactive(but keep it on the screen). Once I know I am done with edits and on to mixing, I will hide the original track. Having said that, it would be pretty quick and easy to commit, and do nothing to the original track, then add a new Playlist to the original and Ctrl-X the committed audio, move to the new empty playlist and Ctrl-v to paste, but for me, I am fine just using the new .cm track and hiding the original

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 04-11-2017, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdgross View Post
So I'm a recent v12 upgraded, and just started playing with the track commit feature.

Is there no way to consolidate a bunch of clips and commit them to a new playlist on the same track? This would be very useful for printing elastic audio, or a track that has been tuned one melodyne.

I guess I can always just drag the committed clip onto a new playlist on the original track, and trash the new track, but that's only a little less work than my old manual v11 method, and a lot of the value of the commit feature is mostly lost on me.

Thanks!
The whole concept of Commit is designed to create a new track in the process. If there was an option to "commit to current track on new playlist", you'd end up with MANY people "double processing" since the committed file would then be run through those same plugins again unless the user made them inactive. And when you add in Commit To This Insert, things get even more dicey.

I always put Melodyne in Insert 1 and when it's time to Commit, I simply right click and choose Commit to this Insert and click hide and make inactive for the original track and keep going. It doesn't get much easier than that or safe and straight forward.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 04-11-2017, 05:07 PM

I dunno...I'd agree that while a little dangerous, "commit to new playlist..." would be useful - I personally would use it all the time, and have wished for it on occasion. That said, committing to a new track and dragging it up to a new playlist isn't that big a deal.

As to the other parts of your workflow, Albee's post sums them up.

Post it on Ideascale - I'm sure Avid'll get right on it.

----------------------------------------
Mac Studio / Ventura, PT 2023.12.HDX, Avid HD I/Os and Metric Halo ULN8, 3xS1/Dock
Also running a Mac Studio Ultra / Ventura / HDX / MTRX / S6
Old 04-11-2017, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Mazurek View Post

I always put Melodyne in Insert 1 and when it's time to Commit, I simply right click and choose Commit to this Insert and click hide and make inactive for the original track and keep going. It doesn't get much easier than that or safe and straight forward.
Indeed^ I also always use Melodyne in slot 1. In fact, all my vocal track presets and session templates leave slot 1 open on all drums(in case I use Trigger to replace sounds), bass and vocals(in case of Melodyne)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 04-11-2017, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdgross View Post

Is there no way to consolidate a bunch of clips and commit them to a new playlist on the same track? This would be very useful for printing elastic audio, or a track that has been tuned on melodyne.

Thanks!
And... Doing it your way, with Melodyne, you would lose the ability to go back and change anything. I wouldn't like that.

I think if you try using the program they way it was designed, you'll like it and it will become obvious to you why it's set up the way it is.

Steve
Old 04-11-2017, 11:31 PM

Well thanks for your thoughts everyone - i'll give the commit feature some spins in the next few days and see what think.

FWIW i was always able to go back to my melodyne edits after i bounced and imported a new playlist - just disabled the plugin, and re-enabled if i needed to go back and change anything.

Right enough, it isn't much more effort to bounce to a new track, creat a new playlist and drag the new clipo nto the new playlist, and delete the new committed track. That being said, it's about three more steps than i'd prefer. :-D It certainly will be faster than my old method of assigning the track to a print bus, printing that, importing, creating a new playlist and dragging the clip onto the new playlist.

I'm also pretty new to elastic audio, working on my first session that uses it, there's another thread out there with my questions about that hah. makes sense to disbale and commit the EA, i just didn't realize that was an option.

Thanks all for making this place super helpful!

www.merlotembargo.com
Old 04-12-2017, 12:39 AM

I like that you get "Name.cm" after commiting. It's a helpful reminder.
Old 04-12-2017, 07:05 AM

if you went to a new playlist all your plugins would need to be de-activated or you would be doubling up - i think some stated this already though .. other than that, not sure what other problems it could open up ..

Macbook Pro july 2014 2.5ghz 16gb ram 512gb SSD - OS11.6.5 - PT 2021.3
Logic Pro X 10.7.4
RME BabyFace Pro
Old 04-12-2017, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john1192 View Post
if you went to a new playlist all your plugins would need to be de-activated or you would be doubling up - i think some stated this already though .. other than that, not sure what other problems it could open up ..
Yeah that's exactly what I'd like the workflow to be actually - commit/print to a new playlist, with the option of printing the plugins. If plugins are printed, then automatically disable them on the channel.

I like this as it mimics my old workflow from v11 before the commit feature existed. I often used it to print a vocal tuned in melodyne or a particular UAD effect that I knew I was going to keep, and didn't want eating up my dsp bandwidth. (Most often the ocean way room reverb)

I prefer a new playlist as it keeps the session less cluttered, although a new track accomplishes the same thing.

www.merlotembargo.com