Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-11-2017, 07:14 PM

Default Re: Comparing 12.4, 12.6.1 and 12.7.1 on Windows 10 X99 systems

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnjlee View Post
This is me. I only record/mix audio. 12.7.1 has been fantastic in that regard.
That sounds good! But PT has always been great with audio. If Avid can build up the weaker features and work on efficient CPU usage without breaking anything, I think PT would once again take its place as one of the leading DAWs, if not the greatest. For now, I can only say that even though PT is the best DAW for audio work, it doesn't like midi and VI's, because it doesn't know how to handle them properly.
Old 04-11-2017, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesbrunn View Post
Hi Steve,

That sounds encouraging. Have you been working with lots of midi and VI's?
Hey Leslie, I hope you are well. Been awhile since we chatted!

I use drum VI's a lot, Typically BFD3 or Accent. Outside of there, its hit or miss. Definitely not as many as a lot of people use around here. I am old school, I like to work with real instruments more

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 4-11-2024)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 04-12-2017, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitardom View Post
Hey Leslie, I hope you are well. Been awhile since we chatted!

I use drum VI's a lot, Typically BFD3 or Accent. Outside of there, its hit or miss. Definitely not as many as a lot of people use around here. I am old school, I like to work with real instruments more
Hey Steve,

Yes bro, long time. Old school, now that's the real deal! How's PTPC doing?

The Taricone system runs like a dream... It's currently PT12.6.1. That system is very similar to mine except for PT version. Almost exactly the same plugins etc. I haven't really stretched it far because whenever I work there (last time was about 5 months ago) I do all the programming and midi editing in my studio and freeze everything, then do vocals and real instruments there. I'm currently on 12.4, and a typical session for me these days would be around 50-60 tracks of assorted VI's. Mostly 3rd party. The completed session would be around 70-80 tracks. Not as many as some folks do here, but more than enough to be a potential nightmare if I had all the AAX VI's running together concurrently in PT!

To be fair, I haven't really sat down to sort out plugins to find all the ones PT doesn't like. I run a good number of VI's through Vienna Ensemble Pro in their VST formats on the same PC, that way most of the hassles with AAX VI's in PT is eliminated. Unlike PT, VEP is very tolerant of almost anything that's thrown at it. It doesn't care about older versions etc. That said, I still experience 3-6 PT stalls and crashes daily, especially in the early midi programming/editing stages of a production. Trasher's great for those times! Things run a lot smoother once I'm done with most of the midi and everything is nicely frozen. Thank God for freeze and commit! I'll normally commit everything before mixing.

I sometimes get delay compensation problems when the VEP outputs hit PT, so (for a few VI's), I run them directly through Blue Cat Patchwork so as to have fewer third party AAX VI's running together in PT. That, obviously, could be problematic. Unfortunately for me, though, PT doesn't always like BC Patchwork.

In all, barring the occasional crashes and -9173 peaks, PT12.4 works for my workflow. I've heard good things about 12.7.1, so I'll give it a trial on a new production. That way, I'll experience the alleged midi bugs firsthand. Who knows...it might also work for me!
Old 04-12-2017, 04:05 PM

I just installed 12.7.1, and will start trying it out tomorrow on a new project.