Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-09-2002, 02:33 PM

Default Mac in machine room and USB MIDI solution needed. HELP please !!!

Man I'm stumped, yall gota forgive me I'm so used to our older systems that when I upgraded to HD/733/922 I didn't think twice about USB MIDI. Here's my problem, my Mix system's computer is in a machine room and we run 25' serial cables to the serial interfaces and no problems there, now when I try this with the 733 and a USB interface MIDI is completely unusable. Being as naive as I am on this topic I went and purchased 2 "Active USB Extension Cable" by GoldX and like I said before this doesn't work, there's glitches, skips and intermittently non triggered midi events. So, I brought the 733, drives and all in the Control Room and now I'm getting acceptable MIDI results but obviously now the Control Room is no longer a mixing environment . So does anyone out there know a solution other then the two that I'm looking at, A. installing a gPort and running serial interfaces or, B. isobox in the control room for CPU and Drives.

Thanks to all for your time
MMJ
Old 08-09-2002, 02:43 PM

Default Re: Mac in machine room and USB MIDI solution needed. HELP please !!!

Answer is A.

Griffin port. Everywhere it is told that is is more acurate than USB. It is VERY easy to install and not expensive.

I just did it myself too. 800DP.

Fokke