Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-14-2005, 12:19 PM

Default Generating Avid change lists for conform

We are currently working on a temp mix for a feature that is undergoing several different cuts before locking for final mix.

I would like to start using change lists for reconforming mixes. We have never done this before and the editors on this feature haven't used change lists before either. So it will fall on me to make sure that this is a success and I need to know how to actually create the change lists we will be using.

I've browsed through the FilmScribe manual but was wondering if anyone knows of some links to specific workflows for generating change lists for audio reconforms. For instance, the reel sequences come from a 24p film composer project, but we mix in 29.97 NDF so hopefully the change lists can display 2997 TC in addition to 24. I will be spending some time next week testing the lists and some of the software that is available, but I have limited access to the Avids and would like to be as prepared as possible before i start.

Any tips, links, or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Matt
Old 10-14-2005, 03:27 PM

Default Re: Generating Avid change lists for conform

Hey Matt,

Not gonna be a perfect answer, but from what I've learned picture editors can create a "ghost list" by creating a blank audio file that runs the span of the reel called a "ghost track". This is done before they start cutting a new version. Then once they've got the ghost track every cut they make in the picture they make the same cut to the ghost track. When they're finished the reel then they can export an edl of just the ghost track with all the changes they made which will be all the changes you'll need to make. If there's a gap in the ghost track then that means they've used new footage. Not sure about the 24 FPS to 29.97 FPS but maybe somebody else will chime in and fill in my blanks.

BTW, where abouts are you working in T.O.? I'm in the area too.

Take it easy,
JR
Old 10-15-2005, 09:04 AM

Thanks JR.

I'm at Theatre D. Whereabouts are you?

And too late for the ghost track unfortunately. But I'll know for next time at least. Hopefully it can just be done with the video track.

Matt
Old 10-15-2005, 01:47 PM

Hey Matt

Try this for a starter

These are the specs that need to be set on the Change List tool (under the Output menu in AVID Film Composer)

AVID Change List settings should be as follows

Template Avid Template
Picture Conforming A Roll (single strand)
Using Ink Numbers
Sound Conforming Ink Number
Running footage as 35mm - 4 perf
Durations as footage
Font Courier
Size 12

This should give you the list you want.

Check out the Editor's Guild archives for useful working methods to manually conform your material or you can use one of several programs.... including Conformaliser and also Change Note Assistant. Googling these will get you to both of these sites.

Good luck.

Ray
Old 10-15-2005, 02:05 PM

Quote:

I'm at Theatre D. Whereabouts are you?

Cool, I used to live up the street from there on De-Savery. Is Tyler Strahl still working there? I actually went to highschool with him, though he probably wouldn't remember me as I was a year or two behind him. Small world.

I'm working for a fellow named Brian Eimer doing mostly documentary stuff at the moment.

take it easy,
JR
Old 10-18-2005, 02:36 PM

Thanks Ray. Those articles were *very* helpful.

and yeah JR - Tyler still works with us. I'll let him know you said hi.

I did my tests with CNA. It seemed to do about 50% of the work. I still had a lot of problems with "moves" (I didn't try the solution posed in the editor's guild article because I don't have that kind of access to the Avid). I don't feel it's fair to blame the program as there seemed to be problems with the change list itself. Some of the changes seemed to occur at a totally incorrect timecode/footage, and moves weren't being listed properly.

So CNA is definitely helpful, but it will still require a fair bit of work and troubleshooting to ensure that our sessions are properly conformed. I didn't bother to try Virtual Katy, as it is exhorbitantly expensive.

Matt
Old 10-18-2005, 08:54 PM

Quote:
I didn't bother to try Virtual Katy, as it is exhorbitantly expensive.

Matt
Hi Matt
If you could get it done within 30 days, I think you should consider the Virtual Katy. It saved my butt on my last project. It took 54 hours to conform 64 audio tracks on dual Xeon.
you can download the full fuctioning demohere

cheers

berk
Old 10-19-2005, 03:59 AM

virtual katy needs 54 hours to conform automatically?!

frank.
Old 10-19-2005, 09:58 AM

hey berk, thanks. i presume you mean 54 seconds.

i have the demo and just need to request the cutlists. maybe i'll test it tomorrow just to see the differences.
Old 10-19-2005, 03:41 PM

Hi
no, it literally took 54 hours . I was at the stage of the final mix. Out of blue, the pic editor and director decided to re-cut the picture. The session consisted of 64 audio tracks(automations + ..etc) I thought the reason behind that amount of time might've been a PC thing...

the story goes like this
it did its job very well so I didn’t bother to call the tech support.

here is some early reviews regarding EDL conform tools
another good tool EdiTrace

hope it’ll work for u

good luck

berk