Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-12-2017, 07:49 PM

Default Pro Tools loading when trying to install any .dmg files [solved]

I thought I was finished with this issue I have been having when trying to download plugins from my Avid Account Manager.

I finally was able to download the AIR plugins with 12.7.1, but after getting that far, any time I try to open a .dmg file, installer, for any product, ProTools loads and then says 'This is not a valid session file'. This is even happening with non Avid apps. When I uninstalled all Avid files this didn't happen.

I have re-installed, uninstalled, manually uninstalled, several times now and this conflict is recurring. Some conflict with installation processing...?

Anybody else having or had this issue?

Old 04-12-2017, 09:14 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools loading when trying to install any .dmg files

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfaith2 View Post
I thought I was finished with this issue I have been having when trying to download plugins from my Avid Account Manager.

I finally was able to download the AIR plugins with 12.7.1, but after getting that far, any time I try to open a .dmg file, installer, for any product, ProTools loads and then says 'This is not a valid session file'. This is even happening with non Avid apps. When I uninstalled all Avid files this didn't happen.

I have re-installed, uninstalled, manually uninstalled, several times now and this conflict is recurring. Some conflict with installation processing...?

Anybody else having or had this issue?

Somehow your Mac has decided that .dmg files are associated with Pro Tools rather than being installer files. You can fix that.

1. Find a .dmg file on your Mac. It doesn't matter which one. Any one will do.

2. Right-click and select "Get Info" (Command+I)

3. About 3/5 of the way down the info window that pops up will be a section that says "Open with:" It will probably say "Pro Tools" in a pull-down window.

4. Open that pull-down and navigate to select "DiskImageMounter"

5. Once you have DiskImageMounter displayed in the window, click the button below it that says "Change All..." That will tell the Mac that those files are disk images (i.e. installers) and not Pro Tools sessions.
Old 04-13-2017, 12:16 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools loading when trying to install any .dmg files

Ahhh! Thank you so much!!! What a lovely easy fix! I just tried it and it worked perfectly! What a relief...I have been going around in circles for weeks. XOXOX!!