Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-14-2011, 10:33 AM

Default Re: Import session data - access violation

Hello,

I also had this problem here today with PT HD 8.01 CS2 HD5 on a G5 Quadcore with Digidesign Expansion Chassis.

Took my one hour with a customer next to me.

I open a session 1 with a few audio, aux and one master track. I tried to import some audiotracks (without audio data) from another session 2.

Pro Tools shows a spinning ball while progress bar says "Restoring tracks".

The workaround was to create a fresh new session and import both sessions 1 audio and aux tracks with data and session 2 audiotracks and aux tracks. This was working fine.

I have no idea why Pro Tools refuses/freeze to import directly into session 1. Interesting to read, that also newer PT versions have this problem.

Anyone have an idea, why this happens?

Greetings to all,
Goetz.
Old 07-22-2011, 09:17 AM

Angry Re: Import session data - access violation

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracerY View Post
Hello,

I also had this problem here today with PT HD 8.01 CS2 HD5 on a G5 Quadcore with Digidesign Expansion Chassis.

Took my one hour with a customer next to me.

I open a session 1 with a few audio, aux and one master track. I tried to import some audiotracks (without audio data) from another session 2.

Pro Tools shows a spinning ball while progress bar says "Restoring tracks".

The workaround was to create a fresh new session and import both sessions 1 audio and aux tracks with data and session 2 audiotracks and aux tracks. This was working fine.

I have no idea why Pro Tools refuses/freeze to import directly into session 1. Interesting to read, that also newer PT versions have this problem.

Anyone have an idea, why this happens?

Greetings to all,
Goetz.

Excuse my language , but [bleep][bleep][bleep][bleep] me this bug is a disaster...i'm trying to merge complex sessions here from a couple of well know industry figures, & it's making me look like an complete idiot in front of them, with crashes & 'Could not complete you request because an access violation as occurred' errors..

..total kids hour cubase type bug here guys !! Digi , if you read this, I don't want any new chorus plugins from Air, I just wish to avoid 100 crashes a day when trying to work in front of clients !!!

B Rig: (Home/Office). M1 Mac Studio - 64gb ram - OSX 12.7.1, PT Ultimate2023.6, HD Native Thunderbolt, Omni, Avid Artist Control

http://www.lostboysstudio.com
Old 07-25-2011, 08:11 PM

I was suffering from not being able to import aux tracks without crashing under 8.1.1.

I upgraded to 9.0.3 today and these crashes seem to have gone away.

I'm on Mac 10.6.7 with a HD accel system.

This hasn't fixed it for everyone, but it has for me. I'll see if it works in my other room tomorrow.

JIM

http://www.berkeleysoundartists.com
Old 07-25-2011, 10:48 PM

The I/O setups in both sessions have to be IDENTICAL. If even one little hidden mono bus sub-path or insert path is named differently or in a different place it will crash. Not kidding at all - I-DEN-TI-FREAK-IN-CAL!!

To work around the bug either take the time to configure both session I/Os to be the same before importing, or if you don't want to take that time, don't import input/output based parameters such as sends, input assignments and output assignments into your target session.

Totally solves the problem.
Old 07-26-2011, 12:58 PM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzi45Z View Post
Okay. I know how to recreate this bug and get the Access violation. Please somebody else, test this scenario on your computer.

1. Create a blank session (Session A)
2. Create an Audio Track and an Auxillary Bus.
3. Create a send from the Audio Track to the Auxillary Bus input and rename the input to something like "send test".
4. Save and Close Session and create Blank Session B. Do not use I/O from "Last Session."
5. Import Session A into Session B. Import everything (markers, tempo and etc even though it probably doesn't matter)
6. Now rename the "send test" bus to something else.
7. Reimport Session A into Session B again (Same settings) and this time you should get the error message: "Could not complete your request because An access violation has occured. while translating Tracks."
I can't recreate this with your steps. Maybe there's something I'm missing? Are you using mono or stereo tracks?

Could you possibly send me the sessions in your test? Zip them up and email them to me at: vi [at] digidesign [dot] com.

Please include the thread link in the subject or body of the message.
Old 07-26-2011, 12:59 PM
Avid

Anyone else that's experiencing this - can you zip up your AvidLogFiles folder (from MacHD>Users>your account>Library>Logs directly after you get the assertion error and email them to me at the address in the prior post.

And, again, please include the thread link in the subject or body of your message.
Old 08-09-2011, 07:59 AM

After upgrading to 8.1.1, I had this issue, and I couldn't resolve it. Diskwarrior, repair permissions, save session copy as, delete prefs...nothing. Just by importing one aux track would crash PT or give me this error message.

After talking to another DUC user with the same issue, I gave up, and spent $349 to upgrade PT 9.

Problem solved.

So - for me, that $349 bought a nice key command for playlists, and a bug fix. Ugh. At least I'm current, now....
Old 11-01-2011, 10:41 AM

Has there been a solution created for this bug? it is killing me
I shouldnt have to make sure the io settings are identical etc, im using complex systems and sessions.
Old 05-22-2013, 09:31 AM

I know this is an old thread ... but after replacing my old G5 with a Mac Pro and going to PT 8.1.1 I´ve experienced this bug on importing session data.

Is the only solution (like it seems to be from the notes in this thread) to upgrade PT to a newer version, or was there another solution / workaround for that issue ? I ggogled the DUC but didn´t find anything, that make things clearer...

Thanks in advance for any advice

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIA...Rnu0Jfh-YsgftQ
Old 05-23-2013, 02:20 AM

Hi Tonwurm,

I´m still on PT HD 8.01 CS2 here due to my Digi Expansion Chassis and my PCI Core and Accel cards.

I sometimes still have this *importing session data causes a spinning ball* issue, but I figured out what could be the reason.

First reduce the number of tracks you are importing at once from another session,
try one track after to each other to check what track / plugins could be the reason for a spinning ball.

Special RTAS plugins tracks which are offering several (plugin) outputs often cause a problem while importing to a new session.

Also FXPansion wrapped VST plugins sometimes causing a spinninng ball,
try to sort out the reason for a crash that way by importing track by track.

Also check your I/O settings, I remember to found a crashing situation where I imported tracks with the checkmark import I/O session data also with an PT audio bus which was used connected twice!

Also importing a second time after a crash sometimes works fine.

Hope that helps,
greetings,
Goetz from Wonderlandstudio