Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-19-2009, 09:56 AM

Default Re: The Official Unofficial Windows 7 Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoni View Post
Just a quick tip for those installing PT8 on a Windows 7 32 or 64 bit install for the first time, if you have a Firewire device, When PT loads and needs to restart you will probably have a blue screen crash if you are not on the LEGACY IEEE 1394 driver, so EITHER switch to the Legacy driver BEFORE installing Pro Tools, OR after PT restarts your PC, turn your Digi firewire interface OFF before Windows starts up so you dont have a BSOD, and then load PT 8.0.3.

If you switch to the Legacy first to install PT8, once you install 8.0.3 you can switch back to your default IEEE 1394 firewire driver. My experience has shown better performance with the default driver, LSI in my case.

And for those needing instructions to change to/from the Legacy heres the video.

Legacy Driver Video
Old 12-19-2009, 09:59 AM

Hi Benoni, I got PT 8 and all of it's goodies installed. All is running well but I cannot use the MBox2 Pro at anything faster than 48 khz. Have tried the default driver in various configurations and with various steps but I get the dreaded 6006 error. I get the same error when I try the other two sample rates. With the legacy driver I get 44 and 48 fine. I have a very new MSI motherboard and the IE1394 is incorporated. I am wondering if a pci firewire card may help this issue. What are you using and what do you think?
Old 12-19-2009, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoni View Post
Ok, installed on Windows 7 64 bit, all went well.

Also dont be alarmed if your 003R or whatever interface starts blinking once you install the Windows 7 beta driver and see that it is searching the "Preconfigured driver folders" it will take awhile, but it will finish.
a question maybe you know about.
I power on my system all is fine, but Host light in my 003 start blinking for a long time,so i went to device manager to check 003 appears and all is right, then open PT, Host light stop,wathever after open PT all is fine and working

You mention it,is the same case that you mean??
What i say is after averything.
beside I also use the Standard driver from my Notebook for the firewire port.
All my plugins works
I7 950
RAM 24Gb corsair 1600 (3 sticks)
9-9-9-24
MAC
MacBookPro i7 2,3 15"
RAM 16gb
PT 11.3
003 Rack
MBox 3 Pro
Old 12-19-2009, 12:28 PM

It Finally Worked! I did the 8.0.3. for LE and voila!!! I took some doing, but I am up and running!
Old 12-19-2009, 01:06 PM

This is going to sound retarted but.....I did get everything working! My Pro tools 8.03 and Mbox 2. I am use to an older version of Pro Tools. When I plug my guitar into the Mbox 2 I can hear it and the level meter shows it, but when I start recording the track nothing records and it does not pick up anything, but I can still here my guitar. Ive tried doing intrument tracks and guitar tracks. I am using "stereo". Ive tried using all the inputs and still not recording my guitar. I know it is probably something simple, but I dont remember.
Old 12-20-2009, 01:01 PM

First off, I want thank you Benoni for all the advice in this thread. I have been pouring through it for about a week now trying to get this new latop to run PT LE. I have made some big strides.

This system is a HP Pavillion dv7 (model dv7-3098ca). Its runs an Intel i7 @ 1.60 ghz, 8 gigs of DDR3, it has 2 internal 500gb drives @ 7200rpm. Im running PT 8.0.1 in win7 x86. I have followed all the optimization guidelines described in your last post as well as the videos you posted on vimeo a few pages back.

Currently my problem is two conflicting error messages.
-(9129) Audio processing is conflicting with other CPU tasks. Reduce "H/W buffer size."
-(9092) The operation system held off interrupts for too long. Increase "H/W buffer size."

The erros alternate depending on wether I increase of decrease the buffer.

I saw a previous post from a user who's name escapes me now, that he was trying to install on a very similar HP laptop (dv5). You responded that "it looks fine, except for he needed a drive" or something to that effect. I assume you mean he needed an external drive. Could that be my problem, why? Would an external firewire drive solve my problem?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have until Jan 3rd to return this beast of a laptop. I don't want to get a rediculously over priced macbook pro unless I have to.
Old 12-20-2009, 01:35 PM

Well everything was working perfectly fine yesterday. I started recording guitar and bass tracks. Today I booted up my computer and started to record. Now after I record a track and playback my guitar sounds like complete static and muddy. Sounds horrible! But when I am not recording and just playing the guitar it sounds normal. It is only after recording. And the click track always sounds muddy and with static. Something must of happened. ANybody know?

I checked the cables on my Mbox and they are fine.
Old 12-20-2009, 01:39 PM

Question Re: The Official Unofficial Windows 7 Thread

Hello fellow Windows 7 users! I'm new to Pro Tools, so forgive me if I sound like an idiot. (I couldn't even figure out how to start a new thread.) I would love any advice you could give me about installing Pro Tools. Here's the mess up to date:

I bought Pro Tools LE just as Windows 7 came out, and then bought a new laptop with Windows 7. Digidesign just released the update to run Pro Tools on Windows 7 so now I'm finally trying to install. At first I tried just downloading the 8.0.3 update, but it wouldn't work and said I needed to download 8.0 first. I have done that, but in the setup, it says I am missing an MBox 2 Driver. I found this on the site:

To update your Mbox 2 drivers on a Windows PC:

1) Obtain the update kit: If your Mbox 2 came with Pro Tools 7.0 software, the Mbox 2 Firmware Updater is located on your Pro Tools 7.0 CD in the Additional Files\Unsupported Software folder. The firmware is also available at the Digidesign Web site: (http://www.digidesign.com/download/mbox2).

I followed the directions, but got an error message saying the driver couldn't be installed because there was not a valid version of Pro Tools LE on the system. Help!! How can I install 8.0 to then install the update if the drivers I need to install it need 8.0 to be installed in the first place? Should I install the old version (7.3) that I have the disk for first, then upgrade to 8.0, then upgrade to 8.0.3? I don't want the installation to crash my computer because it's running Windows 7. I would appreciate anything you can tell me. I'm really really excited to use this stuff, but keep running into dead ends.
Old 12-20-2009, 03:58 PM

Dumb***** question time....

Any reaosn why I'd go to Win7 pro or ultimate for running protools on my laptop instead of home premium??? (dedicated live recording/playback machine - I only run Protools, Sonar & Showplay on this machine). Any compelling reason why I'd upgrade my main puter past home premium??

Cheers guys & have a happy holiday season!!
Old 12-20-2009, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draulym View Post
Dumb***** question time....

Any reaosn why I'd go to Win7 pro or ultimate for running protools on my laptop instead of home premium??? (dedicated live recording/playback machine - I only run Protools, Sonar & Showplay on this machine). Any compelling reason why I'd upgrade my main puter past home premium??

Cheers guys & have a happy holiday season!!
IMO, no. There is a comparison chart on an MS site somewhere, but I do not have a link.. google Pro or Ultimate would offer greater RAM access, but with a laptop, you will likely be limited by hardware before the OS comes into play, so W7x64HP is totally fine. The other features are... well, IMO, you might be better served with 3rd party solutions anyway. I own Ultimate, but do not use or have 3rd party apps I prefer. Oh- non-native languages may be a reason I think...
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki-k View Post
Sometimes ya just gotta put your tongue on the 9V battery just to see what all the fuss is about.