Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-25-2005, 07:34 PM

Default Vocal Recording

I was just wondering if anyone could give me some advice on vocal recording. My vocals always come out too low when I record them. I'm using a Samson C03 condenser mic. I'm pretty sure i have all the mic settings right but need to make sure. I'm really not happy with the vocals.

These are the settings i use on the mic:

1. 0 and -10db is set at 0
2. Low cut option is on
3. And there are three settings on the mic Figure 8, one that looks like an O so i'm assuming that is Omni... and then there is the one that kinda looks like a mushroom head... that is supercardiod, i think? I have that one set at the super cardioid.

Should I Eq all of the vocals or should it just record better than it's at.

Any help would be great.

Oh yeah, one more thing, what is the best setting on the condenser mic for recording acoustic guitar? Anyone?
Old 04-25-2005, 07:58 PM

Default Re: Vocal Recording

take off the low cut. you don't want that. also how is your gain settings? do you have phantom power on?
Old 04-25-2005, 08:06 PM

Quote:
take off the low cut. you don't want that. also how is your gain settings? do you have phantom power on?

Ok, i'll take off the low cut. Do i have the other settings right?

I have the gain just above halfway on my mbox.

Yes, the phantom power is on.

Do you think the low cut is the problem? Will it be too low if it's off?
Old 04-25-2005, 08:10 PM

Well digital recording presents some serious challenges and changes from analog. The low vocal level problem is one of them.

If you are setting up your mic pre correctly to not clip, as you probably are, you will get what seems to be a really low level into protools. This is a twofold problem..

1) a lot of other instruments are capable of recording to digital at a higher level than vocals and usually this sets up a situation where your mix is really pumpin but your vocals can't keep up. If you were recording to tape 0VU would be your reference ..if you transfered that to digital it would be about -18db on your PT meters...we who record into PT always try to get as close to 0 VU in digital which is much higher than some sources can keep up with...all this jabber is to say pull down your overall mix..start your drums at about -5 on their channels to give yourself some headroom. You will see a serious drop in volume but just turn up your playback monitors.

2)vocals have some serious peaks that need to be dealt with to increase your level to disk (i was going to sat to tape..help I'm old). You need to get a compressor/limiter into your signal path. Either patch it as an insert in your console or your mbox/001/002 if it is a analog outboard piece
or use an in the box setup that I use a lot.....create a mono aux channel..make the input the mic...make the output an available bus (say 10) then make an audio channel..make the input the bus you selected for aux channel (10) and make the output your basic 1-2(this is your vox record channel) . Now put a compressor plugin on the AUX channel ..whether it be a Focusrite or the DIGI compressor..and set it for about a 4:1 ratio.

This will give you an in the box compressor/limiter for your vocal mic and allow you to get a bit more level to disk.

hope this helps..it's late and I'm typing with one hand..
all the best
bb

MAC G5 PPC OSX 10.4.9 / PT 7.3 HD2 - I/O 192 /Control 24

DELL Dual Core, MBOX/003R PT 8 WIN XP
Old 04-25-2005, 08:13 PM

I do use a compressor the way you've recommended. It helps with the overall sound quality but as far as the vocals being too bass(y) it just doesn't stop that.

Any other ideas?
Old 04-25-2005, 08:29 PM

If you are getting alot of extra bass on the vocal ..move the vocalist away from the mic ..say about six to 12 inches depending on the power of the vocalist. Mics have a proximity (spelling) effect that really kicks up the bass if the singer is right on the mic...and as stated above use your rolloff ... I have rolled off low end on some vocalists up to 200hz (mostly live recordings) with out a serious hit to quality. Put a DIGI 1 band eq on the playback channel and select the highpass setting and adjust to taste.
bb

MAC G5 PPC OSX 10.4.9 / PT 7.3 HD2 - I/O 192 /Control 24

DELL Dual Core, MBOX/003R PT 8 WIN XP
Old 04-25-2005, 08:59 PM

How close are you to the mic? Maybe try backing off the mic a bit. Also switching the mic from cardioid to omni will reduce the proximity bass build up.

Hope this helps a bit.
Old 04-26-2005, 01:26 AM

I'll give you a few tips on recording and mixing vocals:
I thing turning on the phantom power is no subject (you would'd hear anything if it's a condenser)
1.try adjusting your mic-pre in a way that you get as close as possible to the clipping indication.
2.the psition to the mic determines the character of the sound (you will get more bass and boost on the a,o,u.. in this position it's best stay away 20-40 centimeters. to get a transparent signal it´s often best not to sing directly into the membran (in every case use a pop-prevention)
3. try to sing the s,t,sh,.. not too hard
4. mixing is easy: try to remove useless bass (your voive is not present below 80Hz. tray to use a notch filter to remove the resonant frequencies from your voice (boost frequencies from 500Hz to 2.5kHz and when it sounds extra "nosy" remove those frequenzy (this can be done like cleaning completely or lightly -as you prefer)
5. boost the high frequencies with a high-shelve (obove 12kHz or something)
6. use a de-esser if you have one or use some compressor with side-chain input to de-ess (set frequency and threshhold like it sounds best for you).
7. the last thing is in every case to compress your signal. ply mwith all values till it fitts for you. (the higher the ratio and the make-up gain, the more present your voice will be in the mix)
8. all the reverb, delay and chorus staff i would use on an aux, but it's best to handle theese effects carefully -means less is often more

- this way you'll get your vocals where you want them to be -
Old 04-26-2005, 01:35 AM

- and i forgot -

it's importand adjusting your other tracks in the right relationship to your vocal tracks. this is a common beginner fault. do NOT boost everything up with compressors and afterwards pull down the faders to a minimum!

- heve fun -
Old 04-26-2005, 02:47 PM

wow, that's all a lot of really good information. I do appreciate all of your help. I can't wait to get started.