Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 06-26-2005, 02:50 PM

Default make mix louder

I need a quick and dirty way to make my final mixes louder. I ran my mix through Maxim, but it still isn't comparable to other tracks I have used as reference. Anyone have any suggestions?

Digi 002, Pro Tools LE 7
Old 06-26-2005, 05:57 PM

Default Re: make mix louder

Just raise the volume on all the faders.
On the edit window where you select "SHOW TRACKS"(far left) click "ALL" where the groups are list(bottom). This groups all the faders together. From there, use the master fader to raise the levels up a bit. Then de-select "ALL" and reset the master fader(and maybe the aux faders) to "0". Double check all channels for clipping. U may have to re-adjust the plug-ins.

Now apply a bit of Waves L2, no more then 4-5 db on the master. output set to "-0.2db"

But if really want if louder, have it mastered.

Download free music at
http://www.nukmusic.com
nEVER uNDERESTIMATE kNOWLEDGE
Old 06-26-2005, 06:19 PM

While I don't know the style of or how you have mixed your project, the simplest crutch most people rely on at this point is using multi band compressor to compress the ever loving sh*t out of the whole mix and turn it up. It will, make it louder ... it, most likely, will suck all the life (read transients here) out of your mix at the same time. Unless this is what you are looking for, I would not reccommend it ... Although I must admit I too have reached for a compressor at this point myself many, many times. So what should one do?
I say you should revisit your mix at the track level and look at your Eqing of the tracks. And not just to boost frequencies or octves, but you can just as much, if not more, by cutting a freq or octave.
There are a ton of resources out there on Eqing, I have seen many here on the DUC, as a matter of fact. I have a couple of recording books that have Eqing lists, there's a little program I consult called Studio Buddy I got off the Taxi site ... it has tons of useful suggestions on this and many others on recording, mixing, tracking, micing, etc ... It is quite useful resource, I would suggest getting it and using it as a reference, just like you are using the DUC.
I personally use the Waves Ren 6 band Eq, probably way too much. And eventhough Waves are really good plugs ... I really don't like there WUP policy. It seems as though they are just trying to pump you for as much cash as they can. Which is why I am presently looking at buying Elemental Audio's Bundle or the Sony Oxford Bundles.
Anyway, I hope this has helped some ...
Old 06-26-2005, 08:16 PM

My understanding is that the Sony Oxford plug called "Inflator" is just what you might be looking for. I haven't used it, but everything I have read about it says it does as it's name implies and without futzing with the dynamics too much. Supposedly it can even increase the volume of an already slammed / compressed track. It's all word of mouth though since I haven't heard it.