Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 08-09-2003, 06:47 PM

Default Advice on Digi card with another sound card...

Seasons Greetings from the Howells!

OK, so it's too early, but I want you guys to be thinking about what you're gonna get me this year... [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

I must seek your advice on this. I'm back to basics right now, having just loaded XP Pro.
I'm trying to decide whether to go back to the tried and true, 5.3 w/ WaveDriver OR to try 6.1 with a GOOD sound card in Monitor Mode. (The 6.1 WaveDriver is not an option for me til it's fixed and reliable).

I HAD 6.1 loaded a few days ago, and had tried the SBlaster through 3&4/MonitorMode, and it's sound was unacceptably thin (cheap card).

Having tried that, here's my question. Is there a GOOD sound card that will match up with the sound of the Digi card. I mean, when I bounce a mix while listening through the Digi card, is there a good card that will sound as exactly close to the Digi card as possible?
What do you guys do, or suggest, especially 6.1 users?

This will determine whether I back to 5.3 for now, or try 6.1 again (with new sound card).

thanks very much for any advice..... [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

~ Roy
Old 08-09-2003, 07:06 PM

Default Re: Advice on Digi card with another sound card...

what's your budget? these m-audio cards are still a super value. they're about $150 at all the stores. that's about as cheap as you can get for a good card.

there's another option for $100, but you have to have balls of steel and $100 to throw away (potentially). i have a seasound soloist. its awesome. sounds great and has lots of features. seasound went out of business a few years ago so there's no support. there's no "official" XP driver either, but one of the ex employees wrote a hack asio/wdm driver that works great. anyway, some guy is selling off the last of the stock that he got from who knows where for $100 each. the units are brand new, but there's no warranty and no returns. its sold totally as-is. you can find the guy selling them and the driver here: www.seasoundaudio.com

for what its worth, i've had mine for about 2 years and never had a problem with it. bought it from musician's friend for $200. its a pretty awesome soundcard. you might be able to get the guy's price down since i don't think they're moving too fast...
Old 08-09-2003, 08:22 PM

Cool...thanks for the info, Brian. Let me ask you this though, because hearing the vast difference between that cheap-ass SBlaster as opposed to the Digi card got me concerned about this. Does your seasound sound true to what you hear while mixing/bouncing through the Digi card?

thanks and tell Eddie to give his sisters a break... [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

-rh
Old 08-09-2003, 09:36 PM

i can't hear the difference while using reason, then switching back and forth between 001/seasound. they both sound good.
Old 08-10-2003, 02:25 PM

it works great with reason and cubase. the driver is a hack, so sometimes when you use reason in rewire mode with cubase and switch screens between the two, it will give audio dropouts for a second. but cubase won't stop playing (unlike PT, which stops playback when you get an interrupt error).

latency is no problem because there's a mixer built on to the soundcard. you can monitor your input separately from playback from the computer. there's a level knob for input and computer, and a master volume knob. its true 0 latency monitoring. i usually keep the buffer at 512 and i don't hear any latency with soft synths either.

the card comes with the breakout box. its only 2 channels, but there are lots of features that make it a great card in my opinion. if you need more than 2 I/O, then this is not the card for you.

one of the cool things the card has is both a direct out (which i feed to my patchbay) AND a preamp insert (which i connect to my focusrite voicemaster when i'm recording vocals).
Old 08-11-2003, 12:17 AM

Do you have the card only or the card and breakout box?
From what I can gather (not too much info out there) this unit is basically a digi 001 minus the spdif, adat, and it has only 1 mic pre and 2 line inputs.
Is this correct?
Have you tried it out with reason and cubase?
How is the latency with it and reason?
For a hundred bucks it looks like it worth checking out.
Old 08-11-2003, 12:35 AM

I might just try it for a 100 bucks. Although the drop out when switching screens kinda sucks.
Does it come with software like other cards that have "virtual patching". windows xp version?
Or is that part of the driver hack?
BTW, I tried your nnxt drum kit. Very nice, I like it. Did you make it?
Can you recommend any where for free refills, or a place to share your own refills?
Now that I have played with reason, I feel silly for bitchin about pt's lack of soft synths.
Reason will let you have it all. Bass, drums, piano, and lots of cool sounds.
Old 08-11-2003, 01:50 AM

For sharing refills and downloading some of them try the reason-website. I think its www.propellerheads.se , but there is a link from within reason in the help menu. Go to the refill page and download hundreds of mb's of free stuff. They also have a song exchange thing, so you can have a peek on how other people program the stuff.

Bastiaan
Old 08-11-2003, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by nan_wpg_mb:
Does it come with software like other cards that have "virtual patching". windows xp version?
Or is that part of the driver hack?

BTW, I tried your nnxt drum kit. Very nice, I like it. Did you make it?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">it comes with this thing called the solo-O-meter which has some kind of patching, but it only works in win98. the hack driver (XP) is only a basic asio/wdm driver.

i made the kit myself. i was recording some drums at a local studio and had the drummer record a bunch of single hits so i could make the kit. then i programmed it first as a soundfont, then on dr-008, then as NN-XT...