Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 07-08-2010, 06:32 AM

Default Mixing with PT LE and Waves Mercury Bundle

Just recently got the Waves Mercury Bundle

And now with a Macbook Pro with 4gig of ram I am now maxing out the computer......back in the early days of mixing I used an eMac with 2 gigs of ram and had issues then.

How can I really maximize the power of the computer getting better performance out of it besides using the Audiosuite plugins?

The Maserati, Eddie Kramer, API and SSL plugins seem to eat up a lot of juice.

But they sure do sound AMAZING!!!

Thanks
Old 07-08-2010, 04:36 PM

Default Re: Mixing with PT LE and Waves Mercury Bundle

Anyone?
Old 07-08-2010, 04:58 PM

There are already many post related to optimizing your computer for better performance. You also have no specs that we can use to evaluate your question.
Fender Strats, Ibanez Acoustic, Ibanez Bass, Ibanez Electric.

http://www.johnackermusic.com/
[email protected]

Live and Let Live
Old 07-09-2010, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpinningDisk View Post
There are already many post related to optimizing your computer for better performance. You also have no specs that we can use to evaluate your question.
Ahh thanks!

Mac OS X Version 10.5.8

2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4 gig of ram

Pro Tools 8.0.4

Digi 002 Rack

two Lacie Hard drives

Anything else? I will try searching again for other threads.

Thanks for the tip!
Old 07-09-2010, 12:16 PM

Which LaCie drives are you using?
The 3 D2's I own have always given inconsistent performance that would make the system max out when it shouldn't.
How many plugs and tracks are you attempting to run when it maxes out, that MacBook Pro still should give you nice results?

Too bad you didn't ask about the Merc prior to getting the bundle.
Do you realize how much UAD power you could have added for the cost of the Merc?
You could have gotten UAD2 Solo laptop and maxed it out with UAD plugs for what you put into the Merc.
Would have given you killer plugs and DSP.
Old 07-09-2010, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKI View Post
Which LaCie drives are you using?
The 3 D2's I own have always given inconsistent performance that would make the system max out when it shouldn't.
How many plugs and tracks are you attempting to run when it maxes out, that MacBook Pro still should give you nice results?

Too bad you didn't ask about the Merc prior to getting the bundle.
Do you realize how much UAD power you could have added for the cost of the Merc?
You could have gotten UAD2 Solo laptop and maxed it out with UAD plugs for what you put into the Merc.
Would have given you killer plugs and DSP.
Totally agree, I bought the Diamond bundle a while back but hardly use it now after purchasing the UAD2 card AMAZING!
Old 07-09-2010, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djstyleee View Post
Totally agree, I bought the Diamond bundle a while back but hardly use it now after purchasing the UAD2 card AMAZING!
Maybe one day I will feel that way however right now I am getting AMAZING results from the SSL, Maserati, Eddie Kramer, CLA plugins!

My boss is wigging out about my last two mix's I recently did.

That is a good sign!
Old 07-09-2010, 02:55 PM

I've heard some of those Waves plug ins can be processing hogs.
I guess the dudes at Waves just assumes anyone willing to pay $10,000 - $17,000 for their plugins would have a bit more processing power at their disposal then a laptop. I'm sure they designed with the HD rig + 8-core Mac Pro crowd in mind.

I have a very similar rig to yours, 2.4ghz dual Macbook Pro 4GBs RAM, PTLE and a 003. Unfortunately the Waves Mercury bundle wasn't designed for guys like us. Over 250 plug ins? Lots that can eat whole Accel processors for breakfast? I don't think so.

I can do some pretty huge mixes on my laptop. 80 odd tracks, comps and eqs everywhere, using all my buses (only 32 *sigh*) 3 or 4 TL spaces, etc etc. But you have to be very careful with your plugin choice if you want this kind of juice out of your rig. SKI and Styleee are right, UAD plugs can take a lot of strain off your computer and they do sound great, but you need to be so careful with compensation. So, so careful.

But you don't want to hear about other plug ins you could have bought besides the Waves ones (*cough* Massey*) since you've already dropped 10Gs on plugs. So, my advice would be to sort through all the waves plugs, find out which ones you like sonically, which ones are easy on the processor, and which ones have 0 latency, then see if there are any that fall into all 3 categories. I mean, there must be a couple, there are over 250 of them.

And for the ones you can't do without, but have noticeable delay or turn your laptop's CPU into a sobbing little girl; use as audio suite, or print and deactivate.

Good luck with your new purchase!

Click me...

MacBook Pro 2.8 GHz intel i7, 16GB / OSX 10.10.5 / PT 11.3.2 / UA Apollo
Old 07-09-2010, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emorganproductions View Post
I've heard some of those Waves plug ins can be processing hogs.
I guess the dudes at Waves just assumes anyone willing to pay $10,000 - $17,000 for their plugins would have a bit more processing power at their disposal then a laptop. I'm sure they designed with the HD rig + 8-core Mac Pro crowd in mind.

I have a very similar rig to yours, 2.4ghz dual Macbook Pro 4GBs RAM, PTLE and a 003. Unfortunately the Waves Mercury bundle wasn't designed for guys like us. Over 250 plug ins? Lots that can eat whole Accel processors for breakfast? I don't think so.

I can do some pretty huge mixes on my laptop. 80 odd tracks, comps and eqs everywhere, using all my buses (only 32 *sigh*) 3 or 4 TL spaces, etc etc. But you have to be very careful with your plugin choice if you want this kind of juice out of your rig. SKI and Styleee are right, UAD plugs can take a lot of strain off your computer and they do sound great, but you need to be so careful with compensation. So, so careful.

But you don't want to hear about other plug ins you could have bought besides the Waves ones (*cough* Massey*) since you've already dropped 10Gs on plugs. So, my advice would be to sort through all the waves plugs, find out which ones you like sonically, which ones are easy on the processor, and which ones have 0 latency, then see if there are any that fall into all 3 categories. I mean, there must be a couple, there are over 250 of them.

And for the ones you can't do without, but have noticeable delay or turn your laptop's CPU into a sobbing little girl; use as audio suite, or print and deactivate.

Good luck with your new purchase!

Good insight!

Thanks! I do have a few Massey plugins and I like them too!
Old 07-09-2010, 03:56 PM

Ya! I just got the new(ish) De-esser yesterday. I'm mixing a record right now for an artist who printed all the vocal he sent me through the Waves SSL channel strip, using the CLA preset. But he didn't do any de-essing before he added all that compression and all that top end!
The Massey de-esser is taking care of it SSSStupendouSSSly!

Click me...

MacBook Pro 2.8 GHz intel i7, 16GB / OSX 10.10.5 / PT 11.3.2 / UA Apollo