Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started

Old 12-04-2016, 09:01 PM

Default Lost in the woods

Hi, new to the forums, Pro Tools 12, and music production in general, currently running a PC with Windows 10 64 bit and a Novation slk mkii MIDI controller. I've also uploaded Native Instrument's Komplete sound library to my computer. As of right now I'm not using an interface.

For starters, I can't seem to get any of my plug-ins, which all seem to be loading successful on PT's start-up, to make sound when I load them into my track inserts. The track meter jumps but no sound. Is there some basic beginner routing issue with buses, inputs/outputs, auxiliary loopty-loos (I know none of what this means) that I'm missing?

To complicate the issue, I'm also having issues with my MIDI controller. Its currently set up in automap mode but when I try to connect it to PT12 through Setup -> MIDI Studio, the SLK MKII doesn't come up as an option under the Novation selection. To make matters worse, the layout of my MIDI Studio tab looks entirely different from the mostly Mac-based PT11 tutorials I've seen online. Even if I were to find the appropriate controller selection, I'm unsure if this will fix my issue at all (considering, as mentioned above, that I can't get output in general) or whether the problem instead lies with the countless buttons/knobs/sliders on my controller or the plug-in packages themselves (Reaktor, Massive, etc.).

Any insight would be much appreciated!

Last edited by ewsmith89; 12-04-2016 at 09:23 PM.
Old 12-04-2016, 09:43 PM

Default Re: Lost in the woods

DUC is not the place to get basic tutorial help, but folks here can point you at stuff. (and others much better than I and I hope the do...).

You need to slow down, understand the basics, and build on that.

Find the PDF on your system for the Pro Tools Reference Guide, give it a read, at least in places, but more importantly get used to searching in the PDF for stuff. When you hear something you don't know what it means, you search there.

Get a good introductory book, Like Pro Tools 101.

Look at tutorials on You Tube for using Pro Tools, Pro Tools with VIs etc.

Consider taking a Pro Tools 101 or a commercial online course on places like https://www.lynda.com/Pro-Tools-trai...als/290-0.html

Start with the standard Pro Tools Mini Grand VI before trying to use others.

Get the VI working by editing MIDI sequences with the Mouse.

Get any external MIDI controller working separately after you confirm the VI works at all, you know how to edit MIDI on the screen., confirm the MIDI notes to VI notes map as you expect, etc. etc. Then get your Novation keyboard working with Mini Grand before trying anything else.

There are tons of basic beginner mistakes, from trying to insert VI plugins on audio tracks instead of instrument tracks, to having MIDI notes not mapped correctly, to misconfiguring or not installing sample libraries properly etc. Almost too many issues to deal with so you need to start by following a tutorial that is close to your version of Pro Tools. Start with a tutorial using Mini Grand.

If you get stuck following a tutorial post a link to that tutorial and describe exactly what step you are at and what the problem is. Screenshots showing what you are doing often help.
Old 12-05-2016, 05:01 AM

In addition to the PT101 book (I don't know if it's been updated for PT12 but it's still a great book for newbies) I'd take a look at Groove 3 videos. Not free but worth the price.

QAPLA!
Old 12-05-2016, 07:08 AM

Hey Darryl - thanks for your reply. definitely agree with step by step approach. I think my main concern is with the midi controller communicating with PT12 (using VI not audio tracks) since I bought it second hand and want to know it works before my return window passes. Any suggestions on where I could go to get specific on something like that. I've already scoured the web with no luck. After I know that the two are able to successfully link up then I'll feel good about going back to zero and building my foundation of understanding. Thanks again for the pointers.
Old 12-06-2016, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewsmith89 View Post
Hey Darryl - thanks for your reply. definitely agree with step by step approach. I think my main concern is with the midi controller communicating with PT12 (using VI not audio tracks) since I bought it second hand and want to know it works before my return window passes. Any suggestions on where I could go to get specific on something like that. I've already scoured the web with no luck. After I know that the two are able to successfully link up then I'll feel good about going back to zero and building my foundation of understanding. Thanks again for the pointers.
Well have you done any basic steps?

Can you playback anything in Pro Tools at all? Does basic output work?
Can you take a MP3 or similar and drag and drop that onto an audio (not instrument) track?
If so then...
Create an instrument track set up?
Insert the Mini Grand VI plugin on that?
If you press the Miini Grand keys in the plugin UI do you hear sounds from the VI?
Able to create and edit midi on that instrument track using a mouse?
You hear the Mini Grand playing that MIDI?

(the stuff above is only a few minutes work for somebody who is familiar with stuff, it may take you hours to work out on your first go).

OK *then* go find and follow instructions for setting up your keyboard as a MIDI keyboard with Pro Tools. There will be instruction somewhere.

And see this if you are still stuck: http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...ia-USB-or-MIDI