Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > MIDI

Old 09-02-2001, 07:55 PM

Default patches changing in mid song????

Why is it that when I've programmed notes in ProTools with my MC-505 and Unity ds-1 soft sampler that my mc-505 will change its patch? It only seems to happen (at least so far) on the mc-505 midi ch1. I do have the midi ch1 set as the default midi channel - does this have anything to do with it?

The mc-505 never exhibited this problem when I was sequencing in stand alone mode - it only appeared when I began using PT LE 5.1.1?

Obvoiusly something (small I'm sure) that I'm missing.

-J
Old 09-02-2001, 11:53 PM

Default Re: patches changing in mid song????

Hi,

Chances are you have changed a patch or bank using the butons on the MC-505 (or Unity) while ProTools was recording. Pro Tools has captured the Program Change mesage and is now replaying it everytime it reaches that point in the song.

To delete the Program Change mesage, go to the track view menu for that particular MIDI track and change it to Program Change. Now look along the track for a small box with a number in it. Grab or highlight it and hit delete.

Note: You can also add a program change mid-song from this track view by using the pencil tool.

To prevent this happening again, swtich off the "TX.PG" and "TX.Bank Sel" settings in the MC-505's MIDI set-up menu. Other synths (including Unity?) may not have the ability to deactivate program change messages, so you'll just have to avoid its own bank/patch select buttons while recording.

Hope that gets you sorted.

Phil
Old 09-03-2001, 12:39 PM

I looked to see if a prog change was in the track and I didn't see a thing.

I know I didn't switch patches while I was recording - I was, however, switching patches on playback. Still I didn't see any prog changes. Also, it doesn't happen at the same time every time - sometimes it'll happen two bars in other times two bars 2 beats (approximating here).

weird?
Old 09-03-2001, 06:20 PM

That is strange!

If all else fails, highlight the notes and paste them into a new MIDI track, and then delete the original track.

Hopefully that'll fix it... for the moment.

Phil