Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 09-15-2002, 11:10 PM

Default mic pre

hey guys, just got me a 001 and was thinking of getting a mic pre. Now I bought a DBX 386 but I took it back. I recorded 2 tracks one with the digi pre's and the other one with The 386 and they SOUNDED THE SAME. It costed around $500 so now I dont know what to get. Im looking to spend around $700 cause thats all I can afford right now, but I need a good ass mic pre that will make my tracks sound better.
Somebody told me that the focusrite trackmaster is pretty cool but what do you guys think. throw some at me.
Old 09-15-2002, 11:20 PM

Default Re: mic pre

I have a Focusrite Penta, same as a Trackmaster but with a stereo compressor and no eq. I added the SPDIF card and the results are very impressive, far better converter than that of the 001. So, that's my story, good luck [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Old 09-15-2002, 11:38 PM

Quote:
I recorded 2 tracks one with the digi pre's and the other one with The 386 and they SOUNDED THE SAME.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Well, there are lots of reasons this could be true. You need to look at all of the steps in the chain. What mics were you using? Were you recording in a good sounding room? What instruments were you recording? Did you try different settings on the DBX? Do you have pretty good monitors whose sound you are very familiar with? Not to jump to conclusions about your setup, but there should be SOME difference in the sound of the 001 pres and the DBX. Whether that difference is quantifiable or not, it should be qualifiable (i.e. how much better or worse is it vs. what is the perceived difference in sound).

The difference in quality between a $700 pre and a $500 pre is probably going to be negligible. If you are shopping for one preamp, you should consider what your main use of that preamp is going to be. Are you going to be tracking string quartets? Get some Millenia HV3s (more than $700). Are you going to be tracking rock bands? Get some Neve or Neve clones (more than $700).

Maybe hang out and wait for the RNP.

Good luck!
Peter
Old 09-16-2002, 03:48 AM

For something more than $700 you can get a Focusrite Octopre, which has basically 8 channels of the Focusrite Class A sound (circa) and some very usefull features, like A/D conversion (optional card) and comp/limiter on each channel to avoid digital overs; granted it's no ISA 220 or Millennia, but for the money it's a very nice 8 ch preamp that equipped with the ADAT card its' going to be a nice companion to the 001, and a step up from its pres and converters.

L.G.
Old 09-16-2002, 07:12 AM

I think the main thing that affects any input signal is how good your analog to digital conversion is. You could have some really nice mic pre's and be disappointed with the results if the conversion is sub-par. The eight channel mic pre's are a great idea, however, typically the conversion isn't so great. I own a Digimax that sounds OK through it's own converters, but really comes to life if I run it analog out into a good converter. It is a difficult truth to accept that you really need good converters to get the most out of a mic pre. And as we all know, good converters equal lots of cash. Save yours and get an eight channel Apogee.
Old 09-16-2002, 08:32 AM

I was in Sam Ash the other day asking about mic pre's, and the guy told me that while the digi pre-amps weren't top of the line, they were very good, and that in his experience as a salesman, customers didn't notice a marked improvement unless they spent more than $1000.

Haven't tried any others, though.

bp
Old 09-16-2002, 10:01 AM

you will notice the difference if you spend 400$ The Penta is a wise investment IMO. It really helped my sound. Buying a better mic helped a lot too. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

P.S. The guy in Sam Ash is a SALESPERSON. Don't believe eveything they tell you. If you can afford it (and maybe if you can't) they will sell it to you.

I met a guy from GC who mixes on HD systems and he still referred me to the focusrite products. Great is one thing...bang for you buck is another. People sometimes lose perspective.
Old 09-16-2002, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by primo99:
hey guys, just got me a 001 and was thinking of getting a mic pre. Now I bought a DBX 386 but I took it back. I recorded 2 tracks one with the digi pre's and the other one with The 386 and they SOUNDED THE SAME. It costed around $500 so now I dont know what to get. Im looking to spend around $700 cause thats all I can afford right now, but I need a good ass mic pre that will make my tracks sound better.
Somebody told me that the focusrite trackmaster is pretty cool but what do you guys think. throw some at me.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I agree with who ever said get a better mic first. YOu can get some great sounds out of a Rode NTK and the digi pres. Hard to believe I know, but it is a good combo. Then get yourself a Vintech X73 or Great River MP-2NV (Neve 1073) when you can afford it.
Allen [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Old 09-16-2002, 12:16 PM

well guys this is my setup. For monitoring I got Events ps6 there not top of the line but its enought to get my feet wet. Like a dumb ass I had jbl's I forgot which model but they were the small silver speakers and I switched for the events. what a mistake anyhow I'm using a rode NT1000, its pretty cool. I record in my room,(its foamed up) Its your average sized room and all I do is record acoustic guitar, bass and vocals(poprock). Tptman the way I set it up was I connected the mic into the input on the 386 and connected the output to channel one on the digi.I'm assuming this is correct, I bought the 386 off the rack, now I dont know it was damaged but they used it as a demo
anyways ,what ya think.
Old 09-16-2002, 10:42 PM

Check out the JoeMeek 1 and 2 channel stuff. Couple of their nice pre/comp/eq combos sound right for your setup and are in the price range you speak of. They are easily comparable to the focusrite gear, and quite honestly, focusrite tends to overprice due to their strong namebrand.

However, as stated above, the converters are gonna make a world of difference regardless.

KT