Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 05-24-2002, 05:17 PM

Default Re: Hello everyone! I\'m about to build a PC for PT and don\'t know what I should get...

Allen, thanks for taking your time to help me. Well, the system is as basic as it can be with only mobo, processor (XP2000), video card(Radeon 7200 AGP), 512MB of DDR RAM (Corsair), 40GB (Maxtor) and a SONY CD-RW. As I mentioned, the OS is WinME and the PC freezes while trying to launch PTLE.
Old 05-24-2002, 05:28 PM

Default Re: Hello everyone! I\'m about to build a PC for PT and don\'t know what I should get...

Quote:
Originally posted by Minorelli01:
Allen, thanks for taking your time to help me. Well, the system is as basic as it can be with only mobo, processor (XP2000), video card(Radeon 7200 AGP), 512MB of DDR RAM (Corsair), 40GB (Maxtor) and a SONY CD-RW. As I mentioned, the OS is WinME and the PC freezes while trying to launch PTLE.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Here are some suggestions:
1. Make sure DMA is enabled on your hard drives in Device Manager.
2. In Bios make sure system performance is set to normal for now and not Turbo mode.
3. List your IRQ setting here so that I can see how your IRQs are setup. Go to Start/Programs/Accessories/System Tools/System Info/Hardware Resources/IRQ and copy and paste them here.

Are you able to run other software programs on this system yet?

Allen
Old 05-26-2002, 02:31 AM

PTLE seems to be running fine now...hope it keeps working. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-26-2002, 02:57 PM

Thanks a lot for your help! Indeed, I will keep you guys informed. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-27-2002, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Minorelli01:
PTLE seems to be running fine now...hope it keeps working. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Congrats and keep us informed. That is supposed to be a great motherboard and may be our next go to board. Well, I said it before with the KT266a so I'd better be careful here. LOL.
Allen [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-30-2002, 04:32 PM

Cody,
Starting with Digi in slot 3 and forcing IRQ to 9 is always a good place to start. If you add a promise controller card put it in slot 2 and force IRQ to 5.
Good luck,
Allen
Old 05-31-2002, 01:57 AM

Hey All,

After using the Digi001 with my PIII 800 for two years, its time to move on. I'm having a new computer built with the following specs.

Athlon XP2100
Asus A7V-333 Mobo
512 MB DDR PC2100
2- 80 GB Western Digital Limited Edition 8MB Buffer
DVDROM 16X
CDRW Plextor 24x10x40
WIN98SE
Matrox G450

Can anyone out there give me an idea what is the most stable config for this board? (IRQ and Slot config)

Thanks In Advance,

cody
McDSP v5 Plugins
IKMultimedia TRacks 3 DeluxeShadow Hills Mono Gama Black Lion AuteurStellar CM-6 Busman BA-L2 JJAudio Modified Mics Truth Audio TA-1A Monitors Yamaha NS10-Monitors
Old 06-04-2002, 10:04 AM

I'm so glad I finally am using this forum...

Okay... Moron here asking stupid questions:

slot 3? force IRQ? What does it all mean???

I have a pretty solid computer... I built it for PT le and have never had a problem since I started using it, but I sure would like to "Tweak" it as I've heard many people mention...

I have what follows:

Athlon T-Bird 1.4
Asus A7V266e w/raid controller
512 DDR
Matrox Millenium G450 Dual Display card
Plextor Plexwriter 16x10x40
20 gig WD ATA/100 system drive

and a bunch of audio drives, either WD or Maxtor in swappable bays... all ATA/100

Only three things installed... Pro Tools le 5.1.1, Steinberg Wavelab for mastering and burning, and Waves Gold Bundle.

So, tweakers, what can I do? It's a pretty good set-up, but could it be faster?

Ya'll are the greatest... Thanks in advance...

Sean
Old 06-04-2002, 12:30 PM

Sean,
My new philosophy is if it is running without errors, don't mess much with it. Make sure that on bootup you are running over 95% free resources. If not get rid of some of the programs running in the background. See previous posts in PT Performance thread. Set CPU usage to 85% in PTLE and find the best buffer setting. Avoid using any USB devices at all and disable USB in Bios. Defragment audio drives weekly. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
That is a good start.
Allen
Old 06-04-2002, 07:27 PM

Hey guys, just came to tell you that my AV7333 has been running wonders! I don't really have specific results of a test or anything but I can say that I'm pretty happy with it. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Allen, thanks again for the tip on the Asus!