Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-23-2010, 12:57 AM

Default Remote controlling PTHD - Audio over LAN

I'm sitting here on my couch wishing I could be working on a mix session that is on my HD system in the studio, which is detached from the house.

There has to be a way to use a remote control client along with a VST host client that people use to keep their VSTis on seperate computers to get the audio coming from my HD rig to go over the LAN and come out of my laptop.

I've briefly looked at Audioport Universal and Wormhole so far. Audioport looks like it could do the job if their VST plug could be put on the master in HD and then in some sort of VST host on the laptop.

Is anyone else doing anything like this?

It would also be cool to use the same theory to bounce around mix ideas with friends over the internet.

I'm sure there is some expensive product that does all of this already, but I'm sure there is a cheap/free way to do it.

And yes, I should just walk out to the studio and stop being lazy, but this just sounds like a fun project!
Old 04-23-2010, 07:09 AM

Default Re: Remote controlling PTHD - Audio over LAN

I've wanted to try this for editing, but never really knew how to approach it.

You could just move your couch into the studio!!
Old 04-23-2010, 09:46 AM

I have done it via MSTSC (run - MSTSC) and you remote to the pc running the session. http://www.teamviewer.com/index.aspx works great too and I have used that all week to turn on my remote ustream and tunes from work.

MSTSC does audio best though over the connection. It is slow but works.

As far as collab mixing....

I have a pretty solid setup right now that runs a AUX sp/dif out from my benchmark that is technically carrying my MIX from the summing. It goes out of the BENCHMARK sp/dif to the input on my audigy 2 card on a separate machine. I can then set the levels, select it in ustream and it sounds amazing.
and the sondcard has a 1/4" mic input too so I run a mic to talk in the control room

go to

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/monument-sound-studio

I am on from time to time and will stream sessions. Works really well and goes out 44/1.

Works for remote mixing with clients too. I can get them on a chat and stream it to them. Delay is like 3 seconds and the camera is cool too.

Hope this helps

Doc

MONUMENT SOUND ON YOUTUBE

Monument Sound Facebook

"Changing how people hear music one track at a time"
Old 04-24-2010, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntelDoc View Post
I have done it via MSTSC (run - MSTSC) and you remote to the pc running the session.

MSTSC does audio best though over the connection. It is slow but works.
I never even thought of running the outs of the 192 into the input of the onboard sound card of the Dell and using MSTSC. Great idea!

Quote:

I have a pretty solid setup right now that runs a AUX sp/dif out from my benchmark that is technically carrying my MIX from the summing. It goes out of the BENCHMARK sp/dif to the input on my audigy 2 card on a separate machine. I can then set the levels, select it in ustream and it sounds amazing.

Works really well and goes out 44/1.

Works for remote mixing with clients too. I can get them on a chat and stream it to them. Delay is like 3 seconds and the camera is cool too.
I've played with UStream before, but only streaming video from my iPhone. I did watch a mix session by TW Walsh via UStream, and thought the audio was pretty bad, but I bet that had a lot to do with what he was feeding it. Another great idea!

Quote:
Hope this helps

Doc
This helps a lot. Thanks for your advice!
Old 04-24-2010, 09:09 AM

Mark,
The only thing that you will run into on the 192 is that it will kick the sample rate out to the card. Unless your card converts it back? My Benchmark has a aux out that I can put to 44/16 and send it straight to the card via sp/dif.

Pretty slick really and again, directly off the board. If I solo a kick, it solo's on the stream.

Doc

Monument Sound Facebook

Old 04-24-2010, 10:58 AM

Why!?

I voted at www.deardigi.com
Old 04-24-2010, 03:57 PM

The same reason you have a drum kit with 10 cymbals and 5 toms.... and 2 keyboard mix stations.... because you can.

Why not? Interactive studio that allows fans and clients the ability see whats going on. Remote mixing ability that streams audio to clients and allows them to listen as you are making changes.... I have done a few sessions like this for mix projects. They log in, hear and see the session and reply with comments to ideas, changes, etc.

Lots of reasons "why" in my opinion.

Why not.....

Doc

Monument Sound Facebook

Old 04-25-2010, 09:29 AM

Remote mixing ability that streams audio to clients and allows them to listen as you are making changes.... I

Oh yea that would be cool

I voted at www.deardigi.com
Old 04-25-2010, 10:09 AM

Ya man.... I would not want to control my PT rig remotely. That would be a little bit of a stretch, you can do it though.

Monument Sound Facebook