Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 09-20-2009, 02:28 PM

Default Re: What's my next logical upgrade?

High! The ADA8000 is slightly duller but nothing that couldnt be fixed in the mix, I would say! I may bee blind, but I cant se what monitors you are using. Good monitors is a must and the most important link in the chain. Small differences in the gear like preamps can be fixed but if you hav bad monitors you dont know what you are doing. Good acoustics and good microphones is also extremely important of course, but first get good monitors an place them with respect!

And good monitors often costs as much as the rest of your gear or twice! Depending on what monitors you own, I will sugest you to save your 500 euro till it has become 1000 to 2000 euro, at least. Genelec 8030 or 8040 or FOCAL SOLO 6 BE for example.

Mics:
I use Electrovoice 868 (250 euro) for the kick and it is very good. SM57 for snare and Line Audio CM3 for OH, a swedish made condenser mic 100 euro. Extremly transparant and clear! I think the Electrovoice PL 35 is a good tom mic not so expensive, 100 euro. I dont know about thomann mics but i heard horrible things from cheap drummic sets before..

Then of course.. your drums and cymbals must be good.. :)

Good luck!

Drummer of Yamaha Birch Absolute Custom Nouveau Vintage Natural - Zildjian K Custom Dark - Sabian HH

Macbook (2009-01) 2.0 GHz 4 GB
Intel Quad (2007-07) Q6600 2x250 4 GB
PT 8
Digirack 002
Monitors: JM-Lab Electra 906 & SW900 driven with Pioneer Reference M-90

"Semiprofessional user"
Old 09-21-2009, 01:02 AM

Thanks for the replies…

I have read up on all of those 8 channel pres. There’s a wide range of reviews for all of them. Without doing an A/B of each of them in my own room using my own mics, it seems to be a shoot-out between the Octane /2626/Octopre/D8… based on what I’ve read, the Octopre Platinum seems to be the front runner.

Jamtime… I’m using M-Audio BX8a monitors. Not the best, but previous advice suggested that higher end monitors will yield some improvements, but ultimately will be restricted by the room dimensions/acoustics. As such, I reckon they’re not the weakest link (at this stage!). Given that I track & mix in the same room, the acoustics in the room will always be a compromise and will restrict the benefits of better monitors.

Mic-wise, yeah those Thomann mics sets aren’t great– I got my set 2nd hand for €50, so they didn’t exactly break the bank. Having said that, within a couple of weeks, I had upgraded all but the 3 x tom mics.

I have a decent kit & cymbals (maple Pearl Session Custom with a maple Masters snare & a mix of Zildjian A Customs/Z & with Sabian AAs & AAX cymbals).

I have thought long & hard about switching to something like Vdrums with Superior Drummer – it would certainly make my life easier!... but even if I’m not 100% happy with my kit sound, I‘d still prefer to keep working on improving the sound so it’s my own drums on the recordings. I don’t have huge heartache using Massey’s DTM software to add samples under my kick & snare, but I do want to keep the integrity of the original recording as much as possible. I realise my home studio will never be Abbey Road, but trying to get there is half the fun!

Hardware
21.5" iMac 2.5GHz i5 (mid 2011), 003 rack, Roland TD12KV, Command8, Axiom 61,
Maxtor OneTouch4 FW/750Gb/16Mb/7200rpm (audio/session drive)
WD 1TB MyBook Studio (backup)

Software
OSX 10.7.5, PTLE 9.0.5, Superior Drummer 2.2.3, Miroslav Philharmonic Classik, SampleTank 2.5L
Waves Gold, CLA, JJP, Maserati, T-RackS CS Grand, Massey Tape Sat & DTM, Cytomic The Glue
Amplitube 3, Ampeg SVX

Last edited by zv yoda; 09-21-2009 at 01:03 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 09-21-2009, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zv yoda View Post
I have read up on all of those 8 channel pres. There’s a wide range of reviews for all of them. Without doing an A/B of each of them in my own room using my own mics, it seems to be a shoot-out between the Octane /2626/Octopre/D8… based on what I’ve read, the Octopre Platinum seems to be the front runner.
These things are hard to recommend. I like the OctoPre, but there are plenty of people who do not. I also do not know the market in Ireland, so I have no idea if you could resell it if you do not like it. My experiences are that the OctoPre is a clean preamp, and will give you a bit of a blank canvas to work with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zv yoda View Post
Not the best, but previous advice suggested that higher end monitors will yield some improvements, but ultimately will be restricted by the room dimensions/acoustics.
Sage advice; the best monitors in a bad room will do nothing for you.
Old 09-21-2009, 10:12 AM

It is true that the monitors needs a good environment to be able to play good. And the positioning is extremely important and a bad placed high end speaker could sound worse than a low end speaker that is placed right.

Besides that, I have never heard a better monitor been restricted to the soundquality of the worse monitor due to the room, if they are placed right. It simply doesnt work that way. A better monitor will sound better or more corectly in my choice of monitors. Lower distorsion, phase linearity, a good crossover network, solid housing with less resonance, straight frequency curve and so on will not be restricted by the room, if not placed in a concrete basement. In the fantasy a bad monitor with a bad frequency curve could have the luck to be neutralized by a bad room, but then you have to be very, very lucky!

But if you are happy with your monitors, I wont argue and I have not heard them so I cant judge them.

I mean that the most critical point and were you easily will discover differences, is when transforming from acoustic waves to electronics and from electronics to acoustic waves.

Go for good microphones before you change the ADA8000 and then eventually get rid of the ADA if youre not happy. Replacing the ADA while keeping the bad microphones will not make you happy!

So I think the question is which microphones you should buy. Im happy with the ones I listed before but there are lots of good mics that I havent heard or seen.. And Im extremely happy with the EV868 and the CM3:s! The E904 should be nice to.

At the same time, if you experience the whole drumkit including cymals sounding, well not good, then the tommics wont help you, of course.. I dont know but the AKG and Rode should be nice mics? Have not tried them.. Then maybe it is the ADA anyway and you could easily try the OH:s in the 003 pres and if you have problems with the OH:s then, well I dont beleive in miracles with Octopre or any micpreamp.

http://lineaudio.se/
http://www.electrovoice.com/products/86.html
http://www.electrovoice.com/products/774.html

Drummer of Yamaha Birch Absolute Custom Nouveau Vintage Natural - Zildjian K Custom Dark - Sabian HH

Macbook (2009-01) 2.0 GHz 4 GB
Intel Quad (2007-07) Q6600 2x250 4 GB
PT 8
Digirack 002
Monitors: JM-Lab Electra 906 & SW900 driven with Pioneer Reference M-90

"Semiprofessional user"
Old 09-21-2009, 11:55 AM

Lightbulb Re: What's my next logical upgrade?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamtime View Post
Besides that, I have never heard a better monitor been restricted to the soundquality of the worse monitor due to the room, if they are placed right. It simply doesnt work that way. A better monitor will sound better or more corectly in my choice of monitors. Lower distorsion, phase linearity, a good crossover network, solid housing with less resonan6ce, straight frequency curve and so on will not be restricted by the room, if not placed in a concrete basement.
The advantage gained by a high-end monitor (say, Genelec 1032A's) over adequate monitors (say, M-Audio BX5's) in an untreated room will likely be insignificant, and likely not worth the cost of an upgrade. An upgrade from something terrible to something adequate is always worth the upgrade. However, the M-Audio BX5/8 are fine. I have a set of BX5's paired with a SBX and the set is more than adequate. In my untreated room, I know what to listen for and rely on headphones and other environments to remind me of such.

Same goes for home audio; I love the guys with $10,000 in speakers in an untreated room...