Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-03-2001, 05:00 AM

Default Protools linked to Reason???!!!!

hi there,
i just got Reason propellerheads and i found it amazing concerning programming.
is there a chance to link it to protools?
i actually make it slave via OMS to sync and feed the G4 'orrible' audio-output into a pre and then into my 888.
But i feel it lose signal quality.
is there any chance to link them internally? i mean in digital domain, without using the default computer minijack output?
any advice and comment is welcome.

thanks,
matteo
Old 11-03-2001, 06:56 AM

Default Re: Protools linked to Reason???!!!!

There is no current way to stream audio from reason through into protools internally. I have reason on my powerbook coming out of a VX Pocket card into my protools rig. If You want reason on the same computer think about getting an ASIO firewire box like the MOTU or Metric Halo Labs and feeding either adat , spdif, aes or analogue back into a protools interface, adat bridge, 1622, 88 etc. I agree it's a great bit of software and just finding ways to integrate it with protools. Don't wait for digi and props, just find a way. Good luck.
Old 11-03-2001, 03:58 PM

I program in Reason, then render audio files and import them into PT. No loss in quality.
Old 11-04-2001, 09:53 AM

audiaudio's way is probably the best way to go except it lacks flexibility.

You have to keep printing each sound (which takes time) and if you decide to change the tempo (which is the point of Recycle) you've got to do it all again.

Although this is the way I do it, I'll be getting a MOTU 828 real soon.
Old 11-04-2001, 10:22 AM

I wonder if it would be possible to use one of the PCI ASIO based cards with ADAT out, like an RME or ADAT EDIT card, and patch the ADAT optical to optical ins for PT. At least you would be able to record 8 tracks per pass.....

Anyone doing this???
Any bandwidth (PCI buss) issues?

I just wish Propellerheads would implement Directconnect.....or Digi would support Rewire....or, or....?

On a related note.....

Why is Emagic the only company that seems to be truly supporting multiple technologies (that they didn't invent), like VST, TDM, etc.?

I don't even use Logic, but I may start just so I can take advantage of all the cool VSTi's out there.

Old 11-05-2001, 07:57 AM

Kamurah

-------------------------------------------------------------------
I wonder if it would be possible to use one of the PCI ASIO based cards with ADAT out, like an RME or ADAT EDIT card, and patch the ADAT optical to optical ins for PT. At least you would be able to record 8 tracks per pass.....

This should work, although you're wasting precious PCI slots. That's why I mentioned the Motu 828. It uses Firewire and you can gang 2 of them together for a total of 16 Digital Outs and 16 Analog Outs.