Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-30-2010, 12:50 AM

Default Re: Auto Tune 7 even worse!! than EVO

Quote:
Originally Posted by edadema View Post
I posted some video on you tube to show you how easy it is to crash Pro Tools with Auto Tune 7. I get about 20 for a empty session. The other video is the critically low memory. I get about 11 or 12 before that happens.

Now if they said you get about 10 to 12 in a full session. Or This plug in will make all your sessions unstable. Would you ever buy this plug in. No. I used to get 40 plus with Auto Tune 5
Can you have AT7 EVO and AT5 running at same time? I have AT EVO (5 I guess) with normal AT5 running, as well as an RTAS version of AT4 which has the best tracking IMO still.

Also, aside from the crashing - Do you feel there is a big change in its sound? How about the time-comp/exp feature? Interested in some 1st impressions of it (minus the crash thing - since I use 6-8 at best).

Lastly, only since you didnt mention it, did you trash DAE prefs etc and AT5 prefs (if there even are any, I forget) after installing, and remove AT5/EVO from plugins folder? I know its the basic stuff, but you never know. Just curious. Thx

MT
•••DON'T BELIEVE THE HYPE•••
•Use & Trust ø Cancellation!•
Old 10-30-2010, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOM@METRO View Post
You can still bounce the "cruise controlled" tracks and inactivate and hide the AT7 tracks just in case you ever need to change them. Or AudioSuite them if you're sure.
Yep true, so far I haven't had to but I do this with other intensive plugs like ELEVEN ....

TH
Old 10-30-2010, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Now if they said you get about 10 to 12 in a full session. Or This plug in will make all your sessions unstable. Would you ever buy this plug in. No. I used to get 40 plus with Auto Tune 5
My heart go's out to you!!!

But, Yes I would buy a good plug if I can only get 10 instances of it. My CL1B uses one chip per instance, I think, and I could never manage 10 if I had a lot of other DSP hogs working. BUT...It sounds virtually as good as my hardware CL1B.. you can do the math.
But 40 instances of a tuning plug? are you using it for effect, or are they all that out of tune? ff
Old 10-30-2010, 09:05 AM

Quote:
I posted some video on you tube to show you how easy it is to crash Pro Tools with Auto Tune 7. I get about 20 for a empty session. The other video is the critically low memory. I get about 11 or 12 before that happens.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtIyavSqCUY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2PCzqOiPEk
Edadema,

You do understand that your available TDM chips have nothing to do with instantiating rtas plugs?

In your first video, you made a point of showing that you had at least 4 open tdm chips, yet you instantiated rtas plugins.

If you are testing the resources of rtas, having available TDM chips has nothing to do with your machine's available resources. But I think you know this, right?

Do you suppose that there is a resource limit for AT rtas plugs? As others have mentioned -- you may simply be loading too many for your CPU or machine's resources.
Old 10-30-2010, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pidge View Post
why would you even bother recording 16 out of tune tracks???

i have a simple phrase you need to learn... "Yep, that was great!! but lets do it again...."

It's not that simple, and this shows that you are not doing modern pop productions....it isn't a question of "doing it again"....

TH
Old 10-30-2010, 09:31 AM

Edadema, how much ram in your macpro? Considering you are encountering out of memory errors, it would be useful to know how much ram is avail.

If you can make another video, this time launch the mac utility, Applicatons/Utilities/Activity Monitor.app and watch the ram usage display -- and report what happens when you add 8, 9, 10, 11 instances, etc...

Virtual instruments (using Ve Pro) has taught some of us to NOT watch the protools resource window -- rather, look at the computer activity monitor for an unbiased look at ram and processor usage.

This may help you figure out what exactly is failing, and when.

J
Old 10-30-2010, 03:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyroberts View Post
Edadema, how much ram in your macpro? Considering you are encountering out of memory errors, it would be useful to know how much ram is avail.

If you can make another video, this time launch the mac utility, Applicatons/Utilities/Activity Monitor.app and watch the ram usage display -- and report what happens when you add 8, 9, 10, 11 instances, etc...

Virtual instruments (using Ve Pro) has taught some of us to NOT watch the protools resource window -- rather, look at the computer activity monitor for an unbiased look at ram and processor usage.

This may help you figure out what exactly is failing, and when.

J
8 gigs of ram and If I used AT as a TDM I wouldn't even come close to mixing a full session. The Point is that it is suppose to work and Vocals are usually mixed last. Maybe it is Pro Tools fault. I don't know. You tell me
There where no VIs in the session and the one where I made it crash it was empty mono tracks
Old 10-30-2010, 04:14 PM

Quote:
8 gigs of ram and If I used AT as a TDM I wouldn't even come close to mixing a full session. The Point is that it is suppose to work and Vocals are usually mixed last. Maybe it is Pro Tools fault. I don't know. You tell me
There where no VIs in the session and the one where I made it crash it was empty mono tracks
Vocals are mixed last? Not around here...some would argue that until your vocal sounds great and sits where you want it, nothing else in the record matters... but there are a zillion ways to make a great recording, so no debate.

"It's supposed to work"? Well yeah, but there are physical limitations based on your hardware. Ask the developer the number of instances intended spec... you know what the answer is going to be.

As Rail said earlier, there are settings in AT that you may want to look at -- or maybe print 8 tracks of AT at a time and disable the plug.

There are too many superb singers in NYC, so having to tune BGV x 20+ tracks is not something I have ever needed or wanted to do. Tuning here is usually of the spot variety (or simply just tune the damn thing), even with my "tv star" clients. And yes, we are known to stack dozens and dozens of BGV -- but if I had to slap a tuner on 20+ tracks, I'd fire the BGV singer first (or shoot them, whichever would cause the least trouble).

I think your expectations for using 20+ instances of AT may need to be checked with the developer.
Old 10-30-2010, 05:12 PM
Banned

I love how everyone is in control of the content of their sessions and your going to "shoot the singer if their bad" and "I only work with the best"..... Spare Me.. lol

I make my living making Bad and Average people sound Amazing. Also the Vocals are very important and the final part to the mix? So I need to be able to go deep with Auto Tune and have it make my life easier. Not more complicated

So I don't want work arounds.

Am I asking to much?
Old 10-30-2010, 05:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyroberts View Post
Vocals are mixed last? Not around here...some would argue that until your vocal sounds great and sits where you want it, nothing else in the record matters... but there are a zillion ways to make a great recording, so no debate.
Most of my threads some how turn into a pissing contest. So why should this one be any different.... lol

But please tell me what is the last thing you touch or make sure is right before you bounce a session.

Please enlighten me?????