Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-29-2011, 09:40 AM

Default HD Native & GA-EX85-EXTREME

Hi All,
I purchased the HD native omni bundle...
My PC motherboard is GA-EX85-EXTREME and I want to know which PCI slot I should plug the HD native to it?

can you tell me which slot in the link below (Blue / Orange / White) I should use?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ImageG...%20Motherboard

Thanks
AK
Old 07-29-2011, 11:09 AM

Default Re: HD Native & GA-EX85-EXTREME

Your video card should be in the first PCIe slot - blue, then native in the second slot - blue again. (from left to right in the pic). Its in the install doc from memory.

Mike.

Avid Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.3. Win7x64Sp1. i7-930 X58A-UD3R. Acronis backup. Black Viper optimized.
Google the DUC
Search Avid

Old 07-29-2011, 11:34 PM

Thanks
Old 08-03-2011, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeLip View Post
Your video card should be in the first PCIe slot - blue, then native in the second slot - blue again. (from left to right in the pic). Its in the install doc from memory.

Mike.
The Blue Slot bigger than the Native Card... Is this Ok?
Is it ok to install it on the Blue One?
Old 08-03-2011, 02:22 PM

It goes in the blue slot. Mine fits perfectly in the blue slot.

Greg
Intel i7 3930K, Gigabyte GA-X79-UP4 (rev 1.0), 32 GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 ram, EVGA Nvidea GT 720 TI video card, a Samsung 850 Pro (256 GB) OS drive, 2 Samsung 850 Pro's (512 GB) in externally mounted drive bays for session and sample storage, Win 10 Pro, PT Ultimate (Native)2019.10, HD Omni, HD I/O 16x16 .
Old 08-03-2011, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhafaji View Post
The Blue Slot bigger than the Native Card... Is this Ok?
Is it ok to install it on the Blue One?
Yep....Mike's correct.

Don't worry that the size of the PCIe slot is longer than the Native core card.

I'm going to assume that your motherboard is the EX58 (as per your pic) and not the EX85 which your topic subject states. I couldn't find an EX85 on the Gigabyte website...so there.

The blue slots are your PCIex16
The orange (long slot) is your PCIex8
The orange (short slot) is your PCIex4
The very short white slot is you PCIex1

I think the PCIex# refers to the number lanes available for transfer of data.

The HD Native manual states that it will work with PCIex4 slots and upwards. The HD Native manual also states to place the Native core card in the next slot to your video card. Therefore, put it in the blue slot Mike recommended and you're good to go.

Technically speaking, it should work in any of the orange ones too but since it's an important performance-critical application, I would stick to what Mike said. I have the same motherboard as Mike and this is the slot where I'm putting my Native core card when I get it.

Hope this helps

W
Old 08-04-2011, 05:07 AM

Talking Re: HD Native & GA-EX85-EXTREME

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodrow886 View Post
Yep....Mike's correct.

Don't worry that the size of the PCIe slot is longer than the Native core card.

I'm going to assume that your motherboard is the EX58 (as per your pic) and not the EX85 which your topic subject states. I couldn't find an EX85 on the Gigabyte website...so there.

The blue slots are your PCIex16
The orange (long slot) is your PCIex8
The orange (short slot) is your PCIex4
The very short white slot is you PCIex1

I think the PCIex# refers to the number lanes available for transfer of data.

The HD Native manual states that it will work with PCIex4 slots and upwards. The HD Native manual also states to place the Native core card in the next slot to your video card. Therefore, put it in the blue slot Mike recommended and you're good to go.

Technically speaking, it should work in any of the orange ones too but since it's an important performance-critical application, I would stick to what Mike said. I have the same motherboard as Mike and this is the slot where I'm putting my Native core card when I get it.

Hope this helps

W
Thank you for your input Mike's & W

Just Last Question :
I have a fan in my video card. if I put the Native in the Next Blue Slot then the video card Fan will be close to Native Card.
IS this could harm the Native Card or video card ?
Can I swap them, so the Native come in the First Blue Slot then the video card comes in the 2nd blue Slot?

Thank you
Old 08-04-2011, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Thank you for your input Mike's & W

Just Last Question :
I have a fan in my video card. if I put the Native in the Next Blue Slot then the video card Fan will be close to Native Card.
IS this could harm the Native Card or video card ?
Can I swap them, so the Native come in the First Blue Slot then the video card comes in the 2nd blue Slot?

Thank you
Hi there

I doubt very much this would be an issue. Video cards with fans have happily existed next to other cards for years. If it were an issue, I'm sure it would be common knowledge by now that video card fans weren't kind to neighbouring cards.

I think if anything, I can only see a benefit if your Native card receives a bit of free cooling courtesy of your video card.

Stewart
Old 08-05-2011, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodrow886 View Post
Hi there

I doubt very much this would be an issue. Video cards with fans have happily existed next to other cards for years. If it were an issue, I'm sure it would be common knowledge by now that video card fans weren't kind to neighbouring cards.

I think if anything, I can only see a benefit if your Native card receives a bit of free cooling courtesy of your video card.

Stewart
Thank you Stewart.
I have put the HD Native next to the Video card but the space between the Video card and HD Native Card < .5cm , is this normal?
Old 08-05-2011, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Thank you Stewart.
I have put the HD Native next to the Video card but the space between the Video card and HD Native Card < .5cm , is this normal?
Hi there

Going by the motherboard pic at the top of the page, there's a regualar PCI slot inbetween the two blue PCIex16 slots. Is the pic wrong? Are your blue PCIex16 slots right next to one another?

Regardless of this, I'm pretty sure motherboards are designed with it in mind for users to fully utilise all the slots. Therefore, I can't see a problem. I reckon your <.5cm gap will enable air to get between them, or likewise allow air to be expelled outtowards towards the other card (can't remember how they would sit directionally relative to each other).

Stewart