Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10

Old 03-06-2013, 09:21 AM

Default Re: Hackintosh with Pro Tools?

Please, be honest with the OP.

This is not a professional solution. (is that duct tape holding the HD in?;-) - -what a mess)

It might be fun to tinker with a hackintosh, but it is not stable by it's very nature. An OS update could render it a brick at any time.

Don't be fooled. It's not viable in a professional setting, you'll spend more time dinking around with it than you will making money.

kasper
Old 03-06-2013, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasper View Post

It might be fun to tinker with a hackintosh, but it is not stable by it's very nature. An OS update could render it a brick at any time.

Don't be fooled. It's not viable in a professional setting, you'll spend more time dinking around with it than you will making money.
FUD.

OS Updates are turned off as per Pro Tools instructions. You can apparently "brick" Pro Tools with an OS update. Also, you can't "brick" PC hardware.

My Hackintosh has been running flawlessly while two of my MacBook Pro's melted. I'm running latest and greatest OS X and Pro Tools as well as a ton of other spiffy programs.

When an OS update does come out, I research it in the Hackintosh community, decide whether to go forward or not - make a backup and apply.
Old 03-06-2013, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WombatStudio.Org View Post
...When an OS update does come out, I research it in the Hackintosh community, decide whether to go forward or not - make a backup and apply.
exactly like I said - - you'll spend more time dinking around with it than you will making money.

kasper
Old 03-06-2013, 11:43 AM

checkout http://kakewalk.se

I built my hackintosh using their tools - it was totally simple and has neen 100% rock solid running Pro-Tools 10. Also no problems with "drivers" either - RME card, UAD card all working properly. And yes - Apple update also works just fine.

-Dan
Old 03-06-2013, 11:58 AM

Quote:
exactly like I said - - you'll spend more time dinking around with it than you will making money.

kasper
no, thats something you should do with every system update on a production machine regardless of how "professional" your computer is.
Old 03-06-2013, 12:23 PM

Quote:

This is not a professional solution. (is that duct tape holding the HD in?;-) - -what a mess)
I'm earning my bread with my two Hackintoshs, so I consider them to be working as a professional solution, rendering your statement moot. And I'm doing fine, thank you.
Guess you do not own / have ever used a Hackintosh, otherwise you would speak differently. And without knowing, what you are talking about, your whole argument is standing on no grounds.

Also, I see no reason to jump to a new OS version right away, with Pro Tools being the core application of my machine. It's picky, as we all know. So even on a Mac I would hold, until it's approved and safe to update, which takes its time, as we also know.
And by that time, you most likely will be able to update on a Hackintosh as well.

@jakedavis:

You do not need to build a box yourself.
There are plenty to choose from. I used this case:

http://images.tweaktown.com/content/...eview_full.jpg

It's sound proof, and even more quiet than a MacPro.

To give you the instructions here would take too long. It's pretty straight forward and should be done within two hours tops.

I'm using two LG IPS monitors. They're 24" each.

iMac Pro
- MacOS 10.14.6
---
- Pro Tools U HDN 2019.6
- Avid HD Omni + HD I/O 8x8x8
- C|24 | S3 | Dock
Old 03-06-2013, 12:36 PM

Default Hackintosh with Pro Tools?

Kasper is totally anti HACKINTOSH
Historically speaking search the DUC for proof (he must have apple stock)

And no thank u that tape was on the case - I had just mounted my fans - and I taped off the exposed side connector of the fan - b/c I didn't want any surprises

Like I said the G5 case is not for everybody and if I would have known b/F how much work it was to mod that case I would have picked up a nice cooler master case and everything would have just fit nice and tight - oh well hind sight is 20/20 huh

You know I spent more time modding that case than it took me to get up and running on the Hackintosh itself
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 03-06-2013, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Less time than Avid ever took to qualify OS X updates.

Truth be told, I usually don't wait for Avid to give me the okay, I pull the trigger and go forth ...

Out of all the decisions I've made regarding OS X and Apple hardware, the Hackintosh was the best decision ever. My Mac was giving me problems in the middle of sessions making Pro Tools (therefor me) look bad. My Hackintosh smokes anything Mac I've used in the past and have never had a failure.

My Hackintosh has solved all of my Pro Tools issues.

I even stuck one of the white Apple stickers that came with my (now melted) MacBook Pro on the front of my R4 case and am now in compliance with Apple's EULA running OS X on an Apple branded computer. Regardless, of the 3 times I called AppleCare over the last 4 years, I stumped them and never got a resolution. I don't need their support.

On a recent MOTU service call, I explained to the tech that I was running OS X on PC hardware and he was cool with it. We spent 2.5 hours on the phone together diagnosing my problem and it didn't cost me a penny. MOTU support is awesome and real people answer the phone.

I appreciate you think it's troublesome to maintain a Hackintosh, not that long ago, it was, but I'm here to tell you that's just dead wrong now. I'm using the same hardware that Apple uses so there's no messing about with network, video and audio drivers like several OS X releases ago. I've had to do nothing special for OS X updates. I check first, and that doesn't take me anymore time that it does a visit to the DUC (while I'm not making money either).

Last edited by WombatStudio.Org; 03-06-2013 at 09:32 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-07-2013, 04:32 AM

Default Hackintosh with Pro Tools?

Wow, this is getting heated up. I also use a Hackintosh at home, though I do own a Mac Book. Best of both worlds. But you got to have some computer know how. You don't have to be a computer science major to do it, but you do need to understand what a boot loader is and I you don't get that you need to learn it.
Old 03-07-2013, 04:56 AM

the rumours ?? Apple will make its operating system open to all platforms ...
macOS 14.4.1
Pro Tools 2024.3.1
Logic Pro X
Reason 12

UA Apollo 8p
Apogee Thunderbridge/Apogee Symphony I/O 2x6
Eleven Rack/Focusrite ISA Two/Onyx 1640i
UAD Satellite Quad
MOOG Mother 32
Nektar Panorama P1
Axiom AIR 49/Axiom 49/Yamaha P35
Fender Mustang/Marshall Amp/Ibanez Pedals/Fender Strat/Yamaha FG820L/Martin DJr10e
Genelec 8040b/Yamaha HS80s/M-Audio BX5a
Beats Solo/Shure SRH1840/Slate VMS

https://open.spotify.com/artist/7KfV..._branch=1&nd=1