Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > ProControl, Control|24, Command|8
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-04-2008, 03:17 PM

Default Use Command|8 with MBox2? (C8 is Offline)

Ok, so I have an MBox2 and ProTools 6.8.1 on Windows XP PC. I bought a Command|8, second hand, but just like new. However I seem to be having trouble getting the Command to communicate with PT/Mbox.

As suggested elsewhere, I've reinstalled PT and made sure the C8 driver was installed. The C8 shows up in device manager and under Setups/Peripherals/Midi controllers. I also tried a couple of tests from the Command 8 Guide and they seem to work fine.
But still I get this message "ProTools is unable to communicate with Command8. Power-cycle Command8 and check its connections. (etc)"

On my search trough the forum I found this thread. At the bottom of this thread I read that this Yarwan guy (see
http://duc.digidesign.com/showthread...t=power-cycle) says "so eventually we found out the Command|8 doesn't communicate with an MBoxII. Let's hope Digidesign produces a fix soon."

Don't tell me this is true and I purchased the Command8 for in vain? From what I'v read it can be used with a Mbox2
Old 08-04-2008, 07:53 PM
Administrator

I don't remember the Command|8 not being compatible with Pro Tools 6.8.1 for Mbox 2.

Try downloading the Command|8 Drivers & Firmware v02.01.02 for Windows XP from the bottom of this page:
Command|8 Drivers & Firmware Updates
Old 08-05-2008, 09:36 AM

So, I followed the linked, downloaded and unzipped the Command|8 Drivers & Firmware v02.01.02 in my Digidesign/Drivers folder and ran the Command8 Setup. Restarted my computer and opened ProTools, but then I got the error message “Error occourred while trying to load the controller personality “Command8””.
Checking under Setups/peripherals/midi controller, the Command 8 showed up, but I cannot select or even see any options. I restarted my computer, but still no change.
Then I updated the Firmware via the C8FirmwareUpdater in my Digidesign/Command 8 folder. While updating the display on the C8 clearly showed “Updating F/W in progress” (or something similair. But after restarting my PC again nothing changed.

Any suggestions on what to do next? Or what I’m doing wrong? Does it matter when I switch the C8 on? Do I have to switch it on before starting my computer? Or only after I opened ProTools?
Old 08-05-2008, 10:46 AM
Avid

This definitely should work with the default install of Pro Tools and the C|8 driver that installs with 6.8.1.

You should definitely have the C|8 switched on before launching Pro Tools and I would advise turning it on before booting the computer.

Is it connected directly to a USB port on the computer, or possible through a hub or other device? Have you tried connecting it to a different USB port?
Old 08-05-2008, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiTechSupt View Post
This definitely should work with the default install of Pro Tools and the C|8 driver that installs with 6.8.1.

You should definitely have the C|8 switched on before launching Pro Tools and I would advise turning it on before booting the computer.

Is it connected directly to a USB port on the computer, or possible through a hub or other device? Have you tried connecting it to a different USB port?
The C8 is directly connected via a USB port. No hub or other device. Upon your suggestion I tried connecting it to another port. I reinstalled the driver again updated the firmware.
But the situation does not seem to change. In device manager I still see "C8 Controller Surface" (so my pc "recognises the C8, right?). The 'Error occourred while trying to load the controller personality “Command8”' message still occurs when starting ProTools and under Peripherals the Command 8 shows up, but I cannot select or see any options.

Would it help if I completely de-install ProTools and then re-install as if new? Would I need to de-connect all cables (usb, audio and midi cables)from my MBox2, C8 and Pc? And in what exact order would I have to install which driver and connect which cable?

One more thing. I don't know if this is important or if this can shine a light, but I've noticed that when I touch a fader (even if just softly touch it with my finger) or press a button, the USB indicator light on the Command 8 goes out for about 30 seconds or more before working again. It never goes out more than one minute, but with pressing a button it seems to stay out longer than with touching a fader.
Old 08-05-2008, 01:19 PM

I have jumped the conclusion on the USB light. Apparantly that only happens when ProTools is not switched on.

Some other additional information: when I select Command 8 under 'Setups/peripherals/ etc.' and click OK, I get the following message: "Could not complete the Peripherals... command because Access violation occurred." After I closed this message, I can not close the Peripherals wondow or do anything else in PT and I have to restart my computer.
What does "Access violation" mean? Might this be the cause of why I can't get the Command 8 to work?
Old 08-06-2008, 04:08 PM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminous Genius View Post
The 'Error occourred while trying to load the controller personality “Command8”' message still occurs when starting ProTools
This sounds like a bad Command|8 Personality file and the quickest way to fix that is to either get someone to send you another copy of it (from a system with the same version of Pro Tools) or do an uninstall/reinstall of Pro Tools. Make sure that the Controllers folder inside your Pro Tools folder is gone after the uninstall so that we can be sure Pro Tools reinstalls the controller personality.
Old 08-10-2008, 03:10 AM

Great news! I finally got the Command8 to work. Uninstalling ProTools completely and then reinstalling it again did the trick.
I can use the faders, start/stop playback, switch from mix to edit window, control plug-ins... Everything seems to be working fine.

But I still have one problem though. Well, 2 problems actually, but I think they might be related.

First problem: I get a pop-up message that says: "ProTools is unable to communicate with Command8. Power-cycle Command8 and check its connections. Note, if the Command8 is not in use, update the Periherals dialog to prevent further warnings."

My second problem is that the display on the Command8 still shows the message "Command8 (Offline)" eventhough I seem to be able to control pretty much everything in ProTools session through the C8.

Any ideas on how to solve this last gitch?

P.S.: lots of thanks mr. Digidesign admin support guy!
Old 08-10-2008, 04:47 AM

Luminous, since you are using WinXP don't overlook the obvious Windows headaches.
Check to see what you USB driver is set for and what driver is installed.
I had an Intel MB that wouldn't run some devices correctly when it set for USB 2 and some device correctly when it's set for USB 1 even though the devices in question should be able to run on either.
Old 08-10-2008, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKI View Post
Luminous, since you are using WinXP don't overlook the obvious Windows headaches.
Check to see what you USB driver is set for and what driver is installed.
I had an Intel MB that wouldn't run some devices correctly when it set for USB 2 and some device correctly when it's set for USB 1 even though the devices in question should be able to run on either.

Thanks for shedding some light on that Ski.

Would you also know how I can get around this problem? I've been checking my device manager, but I couln't find anything about USB1 or USB2.

Is it going to be simply a matter of connecting the Command8 to a different USB port at the back of my PC?