Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-20-2013, 03:03 AM

Default cannot be designated as an Audio Record volume because it is not a valid audio volume

Hi,
I have Pro-Tools LE 7.4.2 installed on my Macbook Pro. When starting a new session i cannot save it to any hard drive.I have an external hard drive i want to use for Pro-tools sessions that is partitioned for half mac (mac OS extended (journaled)) and half windows. I have tryed to change the letter under the 'A' in 'workspace' to 'R' for this hard-drive but this is when the problem occurs. My set-up is as follows:

Macbook Pro- OSX 10.8.2
Processor- 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5
Memory- 8GB 1600 MHz DDR3
(This machine is bootcamped with windows 7 but Pro-tools is installed on the mac partition)

Hard Drive - 1TB WD Ext HDD 1021
(Partitioned)

Any help would be much apprieciated
Cheers, Gav
Old 03-20-2013, 09:43 AM

Default Re: cannot be designated as an Audio Record volume because it is not a valid audio vo

I didn't think that any LE version would run on 10.8 I'm also not confident on partitioning an external drive in 2 different formats. Why not make that drive all HFS+ and use MacDrive in the Windows install?(admittedly, I'm not a genius about Macs).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 03-20-2013, 10:17 AM

Default Re: cannot be designated as an Audio Record volume because it is not a valid audio vo

Hi,
Firstly thanks for replying to my question, much appreciated. Since this morning i have reformatted my external drive to just be Mac OS Extended (Journaled) is this what you mean when you say HFS+? Excuse my ignorance. I have also tryed basically all the other formatting options for the Hard drive and none work. Every time i try to change the 'A' in workspace i get the 'not a valid audio volume' message regardless of format. I also tried reinstalling pro-tools. This copy of 'PT' was working on a PC previously with this hard drive (formatted for PC) only since i'v gone to the mac has the problem occured.
Thanks again, Gav
Old 03-20-2013, 11:33 AM

Pro tools 7.4 will not work with Mac OS 10.8. It ended with Leopard OS 10.5.

Here from AVID

Pro Tools Software Versions Below 8.0.3 Are Not Compatible With Snow Leopard 10.6

You need at least 8.0.5 to work with anything above 10.7. and pro tools 9 or above to work with 10.8 mountain lion. I have 8.0.5 and havent upgraded to 10.8 yet as my 8 LE will not work.

Chris

http://soundcloud.com/regenerationmix

http://twitter.com/regenerationmix

MacBook Pro, 2.4GHZ, 16GB, Intel Core i7, Mac OS 10.9.1 128 SSD internal HD, 750 GB Internal HD, Pro Tools 10.3.8, Digidesign 003r, Waves 8.0, Final Cut Pro 7
Old 03-20-2013, 01:18 PM

Hi Chris,
Thanks for the unfortunate news, oh well cheers anyway!
Gav
Old 02-15-2016, 03:52 PM

Good evening folks.

I realize this is an old question, but I figured I could take this moment to possibly offer a solution for running Pro Tools 7.4 on Mac OS 10.7.5.

I have this configuration because my Audio Interface is an M-Audio Project Mix I/O (Firewire) which is run by an older Mac Mini (Core 2 Duo). I run both Logic and Pro Tools on the system.

Upon installing Pro Tolls 7.4 on the mac (with the M-Audio Drivers already loaded) and authorizing with my iLok, I was able to open the demo session with no issues (Had to configure the console automation settings in Peripherals). After opening the "Workspace", subsequent starts of the application resulted in the "Cannot be designated as an Audio Record Volume" error when loading the exact same session.

Uninstalling and re-installing Pro-Tools restored the software to perfect working order. My recommendation (although a bit hacky) would simply be to stay out of the Workspace view.

If I learn any better way to keep PT running, I'll be sure to update here.

Hope this helps someone!

-M