Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-18-2019, 07:58 PM

Default Re: Mac Mini Connectivity questions

[QUOTE=musicman691;2548179]When you look at what today's drives are capable of you'll thank me for saying to you to dump those old drives. Elsewise you're wasting the capabilities of what that new Mini can do. I'll bet those drives are 5400 rpm spinners Firewire is SO yesterday and nobody really uses it anymore. That being said I still do BUT as a connection to my backup drives which don't care abut speed.

no, all my external audio drives are 7200 rpm. that said i'm not anti-ssd by any means, i'm just talking about being able to revisit old sessions that live on my old firewire drives.
Old 12-18-2019, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven O'Neill View Post
thanks. any reputable sources you could recommend? i'm aware of owc and mac of all trades, but not many others.
No, sorry. I live in Norway, and have only experience with the secondhand market we have here, I never bought anything like a used computer from overseas! But I'm certain the value of an imac to suite your needs would be not above 600 usd.
Those FW disks, as you know, are fully capable. Until they are'nt. (Keep'em backed up!)
Old 12-19-2019, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Jenssen View Post
I've disassembled a couple of imacs of that era and installed SSDs and repaired one with a graphics problem, it was actually faulty wire connection to the screen (a known issue, I found on search), I tightened the connector and it was fine. All I'm saying is it might not be as bad as you outline. They can be good value, capable machines, still.

And to OP Steven, I'm just suggesting a simple, cost-effective alternative route to getting your system up and running again.
The problem that killed mine was a well-known one (enough that Apple issued a recall on them but mine was purchased from the online Apple Store and because of timing was not eligible for the recall) of a failure due to the soldering used on the video card. You did the smart thing with changing out the spinner for an ssd.

QAPLA!