Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-21-2019, 06:52 AM

Default New Mac Pro, AJA & Frame Accurate Sync

Hi Everyone,

I need to upgrade my computer so I'll likely be pulling the trigger on a new Mac Pro. The last while I've been using just a computer monitor for video playback, which obviously isn't ideal, but when I overhaul the system I'd like to go back to having a proper video out to a TV, ideally with proper sync to Pro Tools.

I'm looking at used AJA Kona LHi cards. Does that still make sense in 2019 with the new Mac Pro? The majority of the work I do is commercials, so I'd likely transcode to 1080 even if something ever did come as 4k.

Second part of the question: I'm currently using an OMNI, which I don't particularly love, but I have an Apogee Rosetta 800 and Coleman 5.1 monitor controller kicking around and thought to switch over. If I want to properly sync video, would I just have to get a Sync HD and use wordclock to sync to the Rosetta and RS-422 from the AJA to the Sync HD? Or do I need to keep an Avid interface?

Thanks in advance!

Ryan