Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-26-2003, 03:01 AM

Default Can a Unitor 8 send SMPTE to console ? (or vice versa)

I want to add a Unitor 8 to my PT HD2 system instead of a Sync if I can help it. I'm just looking to have my Pro Tools HD system act as the master, and have the console chase SMPTE that the Unitor 8 is sending out. Is this possible?

It doesn't have to be razor accurate, and it will only be used in the context of regular songs, so like 10 min. max.

Can someone run down the steps to get this set up?

Many thanks.
(I did a search, but results were for slightly different scenarios)

Also, this will be 6.0.1 on OS X 10.2.6 for the most part. Maybe occasionally it will be 5.3.1 on OS 9.2.2, but if it would only work in X that's fine w/ me.
Old 06-26-2003, 05:15 AM

Default Re: Can a Unitor 8 send SMPTE to console ? (or vice versa)

Unitor will not generate smpte while you are running PT or Logic - only MTC. If that works for you then it will be fine. I know people who are using it to send MTC to a Sony DMX-R100 and it works flawlessly. It definitely won't send smpte - for that you would need a sync I/O, or if using a Mix system, a USD.
Old 06-26-2003, 06:20 AM

But there are several boxes out there that will convert MTC to LTC (SMPTE) - but be careful - some of them work up to 2 frames off the real TC - i use a little box from Rosendahl (manufactured in Berlin) to convert from MTC to SMPTE/LTC - it has no delay - and is quite cheap...
Old 06-26-2003, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Unitor will not generate smpte while you are running PT or Logic - only MTC. If that works for you then it will be fine. I know people who are using it to send MTC to a Sony DMX-R100 and it works flawlessly. It definitely won't send smpte - for that you would need a sync I/O, or if using a Mix system, a USD.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">This is certainly NOT the case if you are working in Logic. The Unitor absolutely can be set to read or write VITC or LTC from within Logic, and will generate the code in playback, if set to write mode. Not sure about ProTools, though, and I'm pretty sure it also can't sync to SMPTE and then re-generate it

malcolm

p.s. I'm talking Unitor mk2 BTW...
Old 06-26-2003, 03:25 PM

auxsend1...i am going through the same thing in the post "unitor"...

i have a unitor mkII also and can only get PT to send MTC to a Midi port on the unitor ...

also, i can get PT to see the unitor in the peripherials menu...but it will not see the LTC ports, only the Midi ports so you would have to have an LTC to MTC converter whether you are running PT as the master or the slave...

they really want you to buy a sync I/O......it will work with that box but not like Logic works with the Unitor....it will see the LTC converted to MTC from the unitor and chase very fast.....

i have heard that MTC is only 1/4 frame accurate but if that is what PT uses internally than does that mean that PT is only 1/4 frame accurate? that does not seem right does it....

peace john

cell # 310.739.1688...maybe we can work a solution together...los angeles....where are you?

Macbook Pro july 2014 2.5ghz 16gb ram 512gb SSD - OS11.6.5 - PT 2021.3
Logic Pro X 10.7.4
RME BabyFace Pro
Old 06-26-2003, 04:20 PM

Quote:
I want to add a Unitor 8 to my PT HD2 system instead of a Sync if I can help it.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">If accurate sync is critical to your work, that will not be a workable solution.

You really need something like a Sync I/O if you need accurate audio sync. You need a box that will resolve the clock speed of PT to the source TC.

If you're working on longer program material, things will probably drift way out of sync over time because all the Unitor can do is trigger a file at the correct start time. From then on, you're free wheeling. The Unitor was designed for MIDI sequencer use.

Lee Blaske
Old 06-26-2003, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mpayne:
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial"> Unitor will not generate smpte while you are running PT or Logic - only MTC. If that works for you then it will be fine. I know people who are using it to send MTC to a Sony DMX-R100 and it works flawlessly. It definitely won't send smpte - for that you would need a sync I/O, or if using a Mix system, a USD.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">This is certainly NOT the case if you are working in Logic. The Unitor absolutely can be set to read or write VITC or LTC from within Logic, and will generate the code in playback, if set to write mode. Not sure about ProTools, though, and I'm pretty sure it also can't sync to SMPTE and then re-generate it

malcolm

p.s. I'm talking Unitor mk2 BTW...
<hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Thanks for the info Malcolm - I'll certainly try that!

Bill
Old 06-26-2003, 06:39 PM

Quote:
You really need something like a Sync I/O if you need accurate audio sync. You need a box that will resolve the clock speed of PT to the source TC.
If you're working on longer program material, things will probably drift way out of sync over time because all the Unitor can do is trigger a file at the correct start time.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Lee

He said he wants PT as the master, and all he wants to do is send time code to a console, I'm assuming for automation. He said nothing about syncing to other program material. Logic can definitely do this, I just don't know about Unitor + PT.

malcolm
Old 06-26-2003, 07:03 PM

you can generate smpte-timecode with an inexpensive MOTU mtp-av from within protools. you have to turn on mmc in the peripherals, go online, then play protools and voila, the mtp spits out smpte. there's a slight delay when you start however.
Old 06-26-2003, 09:00 PM

First, thank you to those who have responded.

Let me clarify some things:

1. I plan on getting a Sync I/O in the future, along with a third 192 I/O. I just can't afford to right now. Since the Unitor 8 mkII is what I want for MIDI even after I get a Sync, I thought it would be great if I could use it for now to sync PT to a console.

2. I'm only using this for songs, and further, sample accuracy is not necessary. mpayne, you're correct in assuming that I'm intending to sync PT to a console for automation purposes, and that's it.

3. I'm fine with Pro Tools either being the master or slave, as long as I can get PT to sync w/ the console.

4. I'm only using PT, not any other programs. Also, I won't have any MIDI devices hooked up to the Unitor when doing console automation.

John1192, I'm in LA as well. Work in Hollywood. I'm going to ask some people at the studio if they can get it to work. If I find a solution, I'll give you a call!

Thanks again for all the help, everyone!