Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 01-25-2015, 08:36 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools 12 Release Date & Features

How many of the top 25 feature requests in Ideascale have made it into PT12? Answer - zero. Well, maybe one - as and when track freeze finally crawls out from bug-ridden hell, which is the only place it can have been living since it was demoed nearly a year ago.

Its perplexing, really. It does seem like Avid are hell bent on destroying themselves. They ask for ideas for features, ignore the lot, bundle a shop into the program and then try to force people to pay an annual sub to stop their license being permanently frozen. Quite bizarre. Beware audio companies on the stock exchange...

http://www.pro-tools-expert.com/home...pear-in-p.html

PT 2024 Ultimate; W11 Pro; Ryzen 9 7900; 64gb RAM; RME Babyface; UAD Quad Satellite USB; GTX 1050i
Macbook Air M2; 24gb RAM
Old 01-25-2015, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Track Freeze?
I didn't see that in the features list. Are you suggesting that it will be in PT12 when released in a couple of months? I know it's been rumored for future incarnations of PT but so have many things which never made it in, or never worked as advertised. So unless a working version of track freeze is in the initial release of PT12 then it's not an included feature, and the other stuff doesn't interest me. Certainly not worthy of a move from 11 --> 12, imo.

I almost hate to say it but I sorta hope this collaboration experiment fails hard right out of the gate. I like the concept, and it would be useful, but I know it will be clumsy and, ultimately, a major sidetrack from important areas Avid has leapfrogged past: like repairing PT11 (and 10, which many have been forced to continue to use for several very valid reasons). I'm tired of being bullied into upgrading because they've forced us to. I have over $100K in functioning Digi/Avid hardware which isn't compatible with current versions of PT because Avid refuses to even *try* to write drivers for this hardware, an attempt to force me to upgrade. So I still must use PT10 in all of our studios but two, an application which is broken.

Fool me once, shame on you -- fool me... you can't get fooled again. That's what I always say.
Old 01-25-2015, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Lambert View Post
I didn't see that in the features list. Are you suggesting that it will be in PT12 when released in a couple of months?
We don't know as they haven't been announcing it but it was on the first demo at AES months back and at Namm right now.

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 4-11-2024)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 01-25-2015, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitardom View Post
We don't know as they haven't been announcing it but it was on the first demo at AES months back and at Namm right now.
It's a major new feature but at this point they're only discussing collaboration, not track freeze. One Avid rep, when asked how this is different from PT11, mentioned Everywhere and the upgrade plan. That's pretty sad. So I think we can very safely assume that it is currently, as of today, NOT slated for the initial release of PT12, and they're no doubt hoping it will make it into the release but there are remaining hurdles and so they're not discussing it.

It's a major new function with a lot of new code for PT. In my experience, Avid will introduce a new feature even when it's still shoddy, so if they're not even at THAT point with track freeze then it's probably *actually* far from being a solid feature.

If they can get it to work as I hope they do it will be highly valuable and (possibly) a good enough reason on its own to upgrade.
Old 01-25-2015, 11:47 AM

As I posted on another thread somewhere (but I think on here), I believe the only reason PT 12 was released was to get rid of the PT 11 licenses out there that are not covered by the service contract.

PT 10 is dead, no worries. PT 11 on service plan, no worries.

PT 11 not on service plan...the de facto "open-ended service contracts" that caused Avid's accounting problems are still there.

PT 12 kills PT 11, which also kills the de facto "open-ended service contracts"...no worries...
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh
Old 01-25-2015, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Denton View Post
As I posted on another thread somewhere (but I think on here), I believe the only reason PT 12 was released was to get rid of the PT 11 licenses out there that are not covered by the service contract.

PT 10 is dead, no worries. PT 11 on service plan, no worries.

PT 11 not on service plan...the de facto "open-ended service contracts" that caused Avid's accounting problems are still there.

PT 12 kills PT 11, which also kills the de facto "open-ended service contracts"...no worries...
Lots of killing going on there
but yeh…. its all about Avid`s survival
Old 01-25-2015, 12:39 PM

They do have a legal responsibility for supporting new Pro Tools HD systems they sell for a certain period beginning from the date of sale. This goes with the territory of tying HD software to hardware so there undoubtedly will be several (maybe 3?) more years of 11 bug fixes after 12 is released in order to meet that requirement.
Old 01-25-2015, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson View Post
They do have a legal responsibility for supporting new Pro Tools HD systems they sell for a certain period beginning from the date of sale. This goes with the territory of tying HD software to hardware so there undoubtedly will be several (maybe 3?) more years of 11 bug fixes after 12 is released in order to meet that requirement.
Bob - Bruce stated elsewhere that bug fixes for 11 will continue until end-2015.
Old 01-25-2015, 03:43 PM

there has to have been some "under the hood" work to be able to add new plug-ins without the need to close the session or close and relaunch Pro Tools

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 01-25-2015, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig F View Post
there has to have been some "under the hood" work to be able to add new plug-ins without the need to close the session or close and relaunch Pro Tools
Yeah that part doesn't make sense. Is that only going to be Avid plugins? And I can't see being able to install new plugins without closing the session and restarting Protools.

Sounds like it might lead to a fair bit of instability.

Lenovo P50: quad-core i7-6820hq, 64GB, 2TB SSD, Win 10 Pro / Protools Ultimate 2023.6 / HD|Native-TB
2018 MacBook Pro: six-core i9, 32GB, 1TB, Monterey / Protools Studio 2023.6, / DVS / DAR, L-ISA Studio

Home/mobile: Focusrite Red 8Pre+HD32R / Clarett 4Pre
Road/hotel: Roland OctaCaputre / Apogee One