Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 06-06-2019, 06:34 PM

Default Feature request:- Export Missing Files list from the relink window as a text file...

OMG rather than having to do a screen grab of the relink window when files are missing, surely PT could export a simple text file including the paths etc.

Export session as text exists so surely this would not be hard to arrange?

Cheers

Ray
Old 06-06-2019, 06:52 PM

Default Re: Feature request:- Export Missing Files list from the relink window as a text file

Export Session as text gives you:
  • Full path of file names (including offline cilps where it expected to find them)
  • And a list off offline clips in the session (including source file name)

You could marry up the two bits of info pretty easily in any spreadsheet.

Not quite a one-step process but can be done today
Old 06-06-2019, 10:56 PM

Default Re: Feature request:- Export Missing Files list from the relink window as a text file

It would be useful yes, but today I do this (and really it takes like 30 seconds).

Create a new mono track, in the clip list set drop order to “left to right”, in the clip list ALT click on the triangle next to a clip to reveal all the channels of multichannel clips, then in the clip list menu select “offline file” and drop them to the newly created track.
Export the track as text. This way I only have a list of the missing files.
Old 06-07-2019, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieffe View Post
It would be useful yes, but today I do this (and really it takes like 30 seconds).

Create a new mono track, in the clip list set drop order to “left to right”, in the clip list ALT click on the triangle next to a clip to reveal all the channels of multichannel clips, then in the clip list menu select “offline file” and drop them to the newly created track.
Export the track as text. This way I only have a list of the missing files.
Excellent stuff! I’d never thought of that!
Thanks for the great ideas folks
Old 06-17-2019, 12:11 AM

Hi Ray, do you really want missing files as text?

When I share mix projects with a remote colleague, we send each other session files. If I have audiosuited anything or added any fx on the fly and forgot to include the extra files, the other end sends a “missing files only session” back to me. I then open this “missing session files” and create a session save copy version of the missing files only and send that over. Voila - quick and painless.

To create a “missing files session”:
select unused files in the clip list and delete these (remove not trash!)
Select offline files
To sort these as a batch, sort by path order (I think - not in front of Wurlitzer now) and all the offline will go to the the top as a batch
Then select all the other files and remove (not delete) and you are left with the offline files only in the clip list and all the regions on the timeline. Simples!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mike Aiton BSc (hons)
Audio Consultant, Dubbing Mixer/Sound Designer & Journalist

BAFTA member
IPS member

----------------------------------------------------------------------
www.mikerophonics.com
Old 06-17-2019, 04:00 AM

I think the main thing is sending offline media lists to cutting rooms. So a direct option for a list that is data and not a picture will still help a lot. One that contains the "last known location" info.

Dieffe's work-around does work great but at some point a direct option would be great to have.

F.
Old 06-17-2019, 04:39 AM

Yes as Frank said, it's for lassoing the stray files that Media Composer has skipped in it's export of AAF's, in particular, Linked AAF's exported with a folder of referenced media.

Apart from dieffe's clever technique mentioned earlier, all I'm after is a file list with a link path to the original AVID files that allows an assistant editor to locate these quickly.

As a side issue....I'm working on two projects at the moment that are using very slightly older versions of Media composer that are not playing nicely with ProTools in regards to AAF exports. Subsequent PT sessions made from these AAF's initially report heaps of files offline, but in fact many are not required, and AAF's that do not find the MXF media that is actually present on my drives.

My best options have been to request all MXF media via an encrypted drive (for data security in transit) and then to always get delivered the MC Bin so that I can wrangle my own deliveries when things go skewed. If I use the current version of MC it seems that many of these export bugs are ironed out in terms of talking to PT.

I'm on PT Ultimate 2019.5 btw.