Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-31-2008, 08:00 AM

Exclamation Random loud popping in PT 7.3.1 cs5

I am getting a loud random popping sound from the aux busses on my Mac G5 HD-2 system.

It does not record the popping sounds to disk, the popping is only audible from the monitors or the headphone mix.

I am pulling what's left of my hair out over this. It seems appear after I insert a new Aux Bus. It may also start upon inserting a send to an existing bus. It also seems to be related to D-Verb somehow as busses with D-Verb are usually the problem. If I have existing Aux Busses, it's usually the bus with D-Verb in it. Once I insert a send to that bus, the popping starts.

Sometimes restarting PT solves the problem. Sometimes not. Sometimes muting the send to the reverb stops the popping, sometimes not. Sometimes deleting and recreating the aux bus with D-Verb will fix it.

Has anyone ever dealt with this issue before? If so, how did you get rid of it.
Old 07-31-2008, 12:12 PM

Do you see the pop on the aux meters? That's pretty odd that it doesn't record and it's flowing through your monitor system. I can see that happening with a 3rd party plug but not a digi plug. Try upgrading to cs7 (then repair permissions) and see if that helps. Also, trashing prefs may help.

Ramin Sakurai
Old 07-31-2008, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeGato View Post
Do you see the pop on the aux meters? That's pretty odd that it doesn't record and it's flowing through your monitor system. I can see that happening with a 3rd party plug but not a digi plug. Try upgrading to cs7 (then repair permissions) and see if that helps. Also, trashing prefs may help.

Ramin Sakurai
Yes, the pops are visible in the bus meters.
Old 08-01-2008, 09:26 AM

how frequent are the pops?
Old 09-03-2008, 06:52 AM

Default Re: Random loud popping in PT 7.3.1 cs5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogon View Post
how frequent are the pops?
Very frequent - 2 to 5 per second. When the music is playing back, they are less random.

The problem has not gone away after completely tearing down the system and putting it back together. It seems related to the presence of aux busses. I have deleted prefs, etc. Nothing has worked.

I have tried changing the clocking options and switching things around. I have a 96 I/O and a 96i I/O. The 96 I/O is the master with the other one slaved. Coult this be a clocking problem?

I have had to move the studio, hence the long time it's taken me to get back here.

Any help is appreciated.
Old 09-03-2008, 10:18 AM
Avid

If you can consistently reproduce this, try removing all plug-ins from your plug-ins folder other than the stereo mixer and D-Verb, trash preferences and test again.

If the problem goes away it could be a corrupted plug-in.

If it still occurs, have you tried an uninstall/reinstall of Pro Tools? Or possibly changing to a higher DSP per voice count in the Playback Engine?
Old 09-03-2008, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiTechSupt View Post
Or possibly changing to a higher DSP per voice count in the Playback Engine?
Hmmm sounds like DigiTechSupt read my previous post!!
PT2023.12 - Mac Studio M1 Max 64GB RAM - macOS 13.6.3 - UAD-2 Satellite Octo/Apollo 8tb Duo/Apollo 16ii/Prism Lyra 2 - Euphonix Artist Control - All the plugins(!) Waves/PA/Slate/SSL/McDSP/UAD/Kush/SoundToys/Eventide/Softube/NI/PSP/Sonible/BABY/Fabfilter/Sonnox etc.
Old 09-03-2008, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiTechSupt View Post
If you can consistently reproduce this, try removing all plug-ins from your plug-ins folder other than the stereo mixer and D-Verb, trash preferences and test again.

If the problem goes away it could be a corrupted plug-in.

If it still occurs, have you tried an uninstall/reinstall of Pro Tools? Or possibly changing to a higher DSP per voice count in the Playback Engine?
I was up at the studio again tonight. The only way I have gotten it to quit is to delete the aux bus, change all tracks that output to that bus to output to something else, re-add the aux bus and the plugins (if any) then reassign all the tracks to the newly added bus. There is no guarantee that this will not happen again.

I have reinstalled PT a zillion times. Personally, that is a big P.I.T.A. and I am not very happy about doing it again.

I will try upping the DSP per voice count. Now that you mention it, I think I ran more DSP in my last configutration and I don't remember this problem happening back then.

Thanks!
Old 09-04-2008, 08:09 AM

I had a similar problem about a year ago, when I upgraded to a Mac Pro. Digidesign had to replace all my cards. I suggest you call Digi's tech support.
Old 09-04-2008, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howardk View Post
I had a similar problem about a year ago, when I upgraded to a Mac Pro. Digidesign had to replace all my cards. I suggest you call Digi's tech support.
I bought my gear used. I don't have any kind of warranty. I doubt they will replace it.
I also have a G5 Mac Pro. I hope I am not screwed.