Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-22-2012, 10:08 AM

Default New PTIEP install

Hi - IEP newbie! Looking to install on OSX 10.7.4 / PT 10.2 system but aware of issues with current installer(s) when installed after PT 10.2 (http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...ssage/en425695)

I assume that the 3 installers linked in this knowledgebase article (Strike 1.5 / Transfuser 1.3 / Velvet 1.3) are the latest versions ... but e.g. Strike looks too small at 43.7MB - no content?

I found a Hybrid 1.6 installer on the Avid site + http://www.avid.com/US/products/Pro-...Expansion-Pack

This page also includes what looks like a complete Structure 1.1 (with content), as well as more substantial Strike downloads (which I also assume to be the VI with content).

Question 1 - should I now just download / run these Transfuser, Velvet and Hybrid installers ... Structure too?

Question 2 - What's the process for Strike ... new installer then bigger file ... or the other way around?

Question 3 - will this avoid my reinstalling PT, moving files, folders, etc.?

Thanks - big downloads and known issues so prefer to get this right first time! :)
Old 06-23-2012, 03:07 AM

Default Re: New PTIEP install

Other than stating 'an updated PTIEP installer is in the works' - last updated 30/3/12 - the knowledge base article only addresses fixing a faulty install i.e. does not address best practice for a new install. So, does the following sound right?

(i) Run existing IEP installer - assume this will install full (with content) versions of all instruments, albeit a few incompatible with PT10

(ii) Run latest Strike / Transfuser / Velvet installers as an alternative to running the PT10.2 installer again

(iii) Determine if OSX 10.7 'changes' have prevented some plugins from seeing their content - in which case apply the 'set content location' fix
Old 06-24-2012, 10:12 AM

Update in case anyone else arrives here with the same question -

Mounted all the .DMGs and ran the old PTIEP installers (without the more recent update installers) - this installed old versions and content in the Applications/Digidesign folder (new subfolder - Air Content).

Ran the PT10.2 installer (over the existing installation i.e. did not uninstall first) - content moved to Applications/Avid folder. A Trillium Lane folder (TL Space) which had also been installed in the Digidesign folder post-10.2, was also moved to the Avid folder and the Digidesign folder was deleted.

Appears to have been installed successfully! :)
Old 06-25-2012, 01:02 AM

I've had real fun with this. Updated my Snow Leopard MBP to PT 10.2 and then I kept getting a message saying that Structure isn't authorised. I re-ran the PTIEP Structure install and this sorted the problem.
Over the weekend I updated the OS to Lion and then the fun really started. PT wouldn't play anything from Strike - the plug-in window appeared and it all looked fine but no sound. Running the Set Content Location program fixed this. Same problem with Structure. Running the Set Content Location for Structure fixed that too but then PT would hang if I tried to instantiate Strike. Reinstalling Strike made no difference. Eventually I reinstalled PT 10.2 and had to go through the same problems with Structure. Finally, setting the content location with Strike brought that back.
So, wasted an afternoon with all of this milarkee. Oddly enough, there hasn't been a peep of a problem with the 3rd party plugs that I use.
Come on Avid - I could believe it if the problems were related to 3rd parties but yourselves?
FaceBook
MySpace
Old 06-25-2012, 02:48 AM

... at least it's not just me! :)

Found several threads on similar topics - not exactly the same but evidently Avid need to do some work on the installers and overall compatibility with PT10 + Structure 'full' / Free.

I ran 'set content location' on everything + on Structure, also pointed the 'database' to /Avid instead of /Digidesign (content then showed up - I assume this is correct?!)

The knowledge base article mentions possible issues with 'set content location' under Lion (which I'm using) and has links to new versions but these are for Strike, Transfuser and Velvet.

Anyone from Avid able to clear these up with some advise on best practice ... possibly a promise of a fix including AAX versions?

Edit - if you're installing 'full' or 'LE' over 'free', also see - http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...oting/en211455