Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-19-2012, 08:47 PM

Default Transfuser Factory Tracks vs. Pro Tools' Big Audio Loops Content

I have Transfuser via the Instrument Expansion Pack, with all its associated Factory Content.

I just downloaded from my Avid account the Big Fish loop packages.

(1) Can they be used in Transfuser "as is" - I dropped these extracted folders into my User Data folder (I'm on a Win 7 PC) and see them in Transfuser, but they don't seem to pull cleanly into Transfuser (not as cleanly as the Factory stuff, which just "works" (and sounds great).

When I select one of these user loops - what is the ideal way to pull it in? Do they need to be slice/diced or time-stretched?

(2) these BF loops that come as content - are they scaled down/lite versions of BF loop packages that I might want to get the full version of if I like their sound?

(3) or is there other "Transfuser-in-mind" loops content I should be looking for. Specifically some acoustic jazz and ballad pop stuff (not as much drum or house music loops for example, etc.)

Help a lewp newb understand?
Old 04-19-2012, 09:53 PM

Default Re: Transfuser Factory Tracks vs. Pro Tools' Big Audio Loops Content

They are raw .wav or .aiff audio files. There might be .rex but it's been so long. Either way you treat those files how you want them to sound. So you can mash, blend, warp what ever you like. You just need to stick within the compatible file type (wav, aiff, rex, rex2, for Transfuser). Check out Prime Loops, Bigfishaudio, Loopmasters there are a ton of these.
Old 04-20-2012, 09:18 AM

Yeah - I pulled them in various ways - time-stretch, slice/dice and both didn't have the same feel the built-in Transfuser loops had.

So either I need a different format (Rex [obviously - my namesake] vs. raw .WAV or .AIF) or need to find more Transfuser-friendly loops. Or PT needs to cough up more content!

Or basically understand loops better. Transfuser was a lot of fun just to fool with, and I did get some partial things I liked, and I found some of the big fish I liked, but the two weren't playing together nice.
Old 04-20-2012, 01:59 PM

Those Transfuser samples and Tracks have been polished. Raw wav files are just that raw source files. You need to polish them.
Old 04-20-2012, 02:10 PM

I don't speak polish - I'm a bit of a newb.

But I'm glad to know that I wasn't just up in the night - the other loops aren't quite prime-time ready, like the Factory content.
Old 04-20-2012, 10:51 PM

Polished, you knew what I meant and that's the key. Ummm... experiment with different importing options (algorithms). Transfuser's manual holds explanations on the varying best options.
Old 04-23-2012, 08:36 AM

Aaron - I was just being a smart-aleck with the polish/Polish gag. I knew what you meant.

I'm just such a newb, I was looking for a quick drag-drop solution to using the Big Fish content with the same ease as the existing Transfuser content.

I mean - in the future, if I want to grab some loops - is one format better than another (for use in Transfuser). For example, should I grab REX or ACID vs. raw WAV files - is there a format where some of the slicing/dicing is already done for me?

Or - I guess - is there a source for Transfuser-prepped loops beyond the existing factory content?

Just so I can get faster results - more play, less learn?

[I do plan to head over soon to the Pro Tools Expert / Groove 3 blog and watch the Transfuser Explained vids to get my head aroun dit more]
Old 04-23-2012, 10:39 AM

Makes me sad that Transfuser has practically been abandoned by Avid. Those new big fish loops are from 2009 at best. The factory content hasn't been updated or added to since Trans came out. The big fish stuff is only loops, (And not the greatest ones.) not programmed beats using the trans drum machine or anything using Trans processing. Anything besides the Trans content would need to be created from scratch. Fun but way too time intensive for keeping the creative juices flowing during a typical writing session.

Transfuser factory content gives me a constant feeling of, "Hey, I already used that sound.".

Rubicon

PS All the AIR stuff is so long overdue for an update, I've had to move on.

MP 2019 28 core, 384gb 8T
Old 04-23-2012, 12:14 PM

Sounds like an enterprising third-party could take advantage of this lack of content (the way Groove Monkee or Platinum Samples do for EZ Drummer?) - perhaps a company like Big Fish that's already making good material available could also slice and dice it for Transfuser.

I mean - I can find Strike kits and Structure patches and DB-33 presets, etc. - on the Pro-Tools-Experts blog - I'm surprised no one has done this yet.

Pro Tools Experts (until recently AIR Users Blog) even have some Transfuser loops available, I believe - but mostly percussion/drum loops I'm told. I'd like to hear more acoustic instrument riffs/patterns (piano, jazz guitar, smooth stuff).
Old 04-23-2012, 05:36 PM

How long have we been waiting for brushes in Strike!? Structure nor Transfuser have been picked up by third party sample vendors. They've shot themselves in the foot with their proprietary business model. Let me rephrase that, had AIR Group been allowed to format their Virtual Instruments to VST/AU and RTAS the likelihood of third party sample vendors support would have been far greater than that closed door policy. IMNSHO.