Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-04-2010, 02:41 PM

Default Console/Board

Hello, I Posted this once already but in the general discussion and got barley any feedback...
I am in need of some input on a console/board for my setup. I have a desired budget of, lets say, $1500. With pt LE8 having all 18 inputs maxed out with 003, 8 adat and 2 spdif, I now would like to throw a board in the mix. My thoughts are Yamaha o2r, Mackie d8b or 32x8. I know the 32x8 is ALL analog but i would like to use it to add 32 outside of the box channels that I may could use some buss compression on into 2 two tracks of my 003. BUT I still would like to have some type of control surface / digital features hints why im thinking about the d8b/02r. also I have selected these 3 because each of them have nice custom desks available. Any pros or cons of the three that anyone could throw in. I know it may be kind of a hassle question but thanks in advance for the input.
Old 06-04-2010, 02:56 PM

Default Re: Console/Board

I guess my question is why? Getting a board doesn't expand your ins...nor does it control PT. It's the reason why I'm not using one until I see what comes out of the Euphonix/AVID buyout.
Focusrite Saffire Pro 40
Ableton Live 10/Presonus Studio 3
Old 06-04-2010, 03:21 PM

Well actually the boards i named will do both, the 32x8 will add 32 more inputs, they are just out side of the box, and the 2 digital boards will control pro tools; faders, play, stop, etc.
If any one has used any of the 3 or all can I get some pros and cons? I have researched them but not used them. Thanks in advance.
Old 06-04-2010, 03:33 PM

It'll add 32 more inputs that still have to squeeze into 2 channels. You have 8 faders on the 003 which is pretty good. Out side of the box is...outside of the box!?

I'm tellin ya....hang onto your 1500.00. In a year or so you might see smaller boards coming out of Euphonix.
Focusrite Saffire Pro 40
Ableton Live 10/Presonus Studio 3
Old 06-04-2010, 07:40 PM

there's nothing in your price range that will improve the sound from your setup. If anything, you'll be making it sound a lot worse.

Mackie 32x8 - OK when it came out 10+ years ago, not up to quality today. Inferior preamps to what you have and it will add noise to your setup. Also no parts/service. Don't get. This literally is the worst of the 3 you've selected.

dB8 - this isn't much better, and no parts/service. same issue as other Mackie.

02R - not helpful either. Out of production, Yamaha doesn't support it and their converters aren't better than your 003s. Their effects are dated and noisy compared to the plugins in the 003, and sound is again not as good.

My advice:
If you already have a 003 with faders, use that for controllers. How often do you need to mix more than 8 tracks at once?

If you have the 003R, Euphonix MC, a used Baby HUI, or if you have an iPad, the Pro REmote LE. For $20, it turns your iPad into a 8-channel fader controller that shows up and works with Pro Tools, Live, Logic, Digital Performer, etc. Hell, you could buy an iPad and the software for less than a controller. www.folabs.com for more info.

Dangerous Music, among others, makes summing boxes if you really want to go down the rabbit hole of analog summing boxes. It's all it does, but they do it really well.

If you want to use analog buss compression, I'd use this, or just run it as an insert on your PT LE rig and since it's the final mix, latency isn't an issue. You didn't mention what compressor you'd be using for buss compression; there are a lot of great plugins for this with more flexibility. I'd try PSP's Vintagewarmer 2 and you may find you like that much more.
2019 16" MBP, 32GB, 1TB SSD; OSX 10.15.7; 4TB USB-C G-Tech External
Summit Audio 2BA-221, TLA-50 -->Focusrite 18i20 3rd Gen, Eleven Rack, Pro Tools 2021.3
Plugins, Virtual Instruments, and real ones