Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-15-2008, 01:48 PM

Default Trouble with Mix Plus voice count...

hey all, having some issues here:
helping a friend put together his system AND have hit a snag.

he has a Mix Plus system (1 core and 3 farms) tdm.
he was able to get 64 voices out of this system (and still can)

he just acquired another core and 3 more farms.
he was under the impression that this would allow him to run more than 64 voices. is this correct??
if so, im not able to do that with this system.

we can use each core on its own with the other out of the system, but not together for more voices.

heres the specs:

G5 1.6 Single processor
Running Panther
2 gigs of ram
7 slot PCI Magma Chasis
2 cores and 3 farms installed as of today
but Monday
WIll install 2 more farms

any ideas about whats causing the voices to stay at 64?
any help is much appreciated!!
thanks!
c

[url=www.myspace.com/chuckbutlermusic[/url]
Old 03-15-2008, 01:59 PM

Default Re: Trouble with Mix Plus voice count...

64 is the largest number of voices you can have on a Mix system.

Adding more cards will increase the number of plug ins he can run simultaneously, however, there is a limit of 7 such cards.

If you're now looking to sell one of the PCI cards for a reasonable price, I might be interested.

Hope I helped!
Old 03-15-2008, 02:49 PM

Am I understanding this correctly that he's trying to add another core card to a mix system to ADD 64 more voices? If that's the case, then it won't work. Only the first core card actually inits as a core, every other card will init as a mix farm card. He could obviously use a second computer and slave the two systems together to run more voices but that would be a bit cumbersome.
Old 03-15-2008, 04:25 PM

thanks for the replies guys! that answers the questions.
so if it sees the 2nd core as a farm, is there a diff in dsp power between the two? which would be the more powerful?
thanks again!
c

[url=www.myspace.com/chuckbutlermusic[/url]
Old 03-15-2008, 07:06 PM

There's no differnce between a Core being seen as a farm, and a farm itself.

Also, check the compatibility docs, you won't be able to use all the cards, there is a limit of 7.

Also, if you're interested, please write down my email address? I'm gonna remove it tomorrow now that you're reading this thread.

Cool!
Old 03-16-2008, 01:31 PM

So do I understand correctly he is running a chassis with G5 without a problem? G5 are not supported and should not work with MIX system. Although there have been rumors that some people have them in G5's...
Old 03-20-2008, 12:13 PM

Quote:
So do I understand correctly he is running a chassis with G5 without a problem? G5 are not supported and should not work with MIX system. Although there have been rumors that some people have them in G5's...
They're not rumors, that's reality. I'm using a Mix Cube system on a G5 DP 2,0 Ghz (EARLY 2005) with 3 Gb of Ram without problems
Old 03-20-2008, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Quote:
They're not rumors, that's reality. I'm using a Mix Cube system on a G5 DP 2,0 Ghz (EARLY 2005) with 3 Gb of Ram without problems
have you had any issues? digidesign says they could not support these computers as PCI bus got changed and performance of MIX cards was reduced.
Old 03-21-2008, 02:59 AM

No issues at all. The CPU goes well, the PCI bus also. I'm using a model (EARLY 2005) that has the PCI slot, not the PCI-X.. a friend of mine is using the same system on a Dual 2,5 Ghz with the PCI-X without problems. I'm still opening the same sessions that I opened months ago on my old G4 and the system goes well and is also much more pleasant to use. My old MDD G4 was terrible for the noise!
Digidesign said a lot of things about G5 and Mix but Apple demonstrates that the PCI-X and PCI of the old PPC G5 worked with 3,3V PCI cards and Digi admitted that Mix Core & Farms were 3.3V so... make the sum!
Old 03-22-2008, 03:11 AM

Quote:
No issues at all. The CPU goes well, the PCI bus also. I'm using a model (EARLY 2005) that has the PCI slot, not the PCI-X.. a friend of mine is using the same system on a Dual 2,5 Ghz with the PCI-X without problems. I'm still opening the same sessions that I opened months ago on my old G4 and the system goes well and is also much more pleasant to use. My old MDD G4 was terrible for the noise!
Digidesign said a lot of things about G5 and Mix but Apple demonstrates that the PCI-X and PCI of the old PPC G5 worked with 3,3V PCI cards and Digi admitted that Mix Core & Farms were 3.3V so... make the sum!
thanks, any idea if 7 slot oldschool digidesign chassis could be used? I have a 7 card system...