Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-03-2012, 02:34 PM

Default Eventide Blackhole Plug In question

I am running PT 8 LE 8.0.5. I have OSX 10.6.8 Will I be able to use the AAX Native plug in? I am confused by AAX Native. What is a second generation ILOK? It states in the specs that a 2nd generation ILOK key is needed. Will my current ILOK Key (2007) work?Thanks in advance
Old 07-03-2012, 02:44 PM

Default Re: Eventide Blackhole Plug In question

Quote:
Originally Posted by mspin View Post
I am running PT 8 LE 8.0.5. I have OSX 10.6.8 Will I be able to use the AAX Native plug in? I am confused by AAX Native. What is a second generation ILOK? It states in the specs that a 2nd generation ILOK key is needed. Will my current ILOK Key (2007) work?Thanks in advance
AAX (native or DSP) is only supported in Pro Tools 10, so no you cannot run any AAX plugins in any flavor of Pro Tools 8.

2nd generation iLok keys are the ones currently selling - although they are often just called an iLok. A (relatively) small rectangular black USB keys with a blue LED lightpipe/ring around the circumference showing when they are powered on. The original iLok keys were large ugly looking "P" shaped thingies, presumably that is what you have.

Although backwards compatible with software designed for the original iLok, the iLok 2 has enhanced encryption/security capabilities. Some new software uses that extra capability. If the software developer/company says you need an iLok2 I'd assume they know what they are talking about and you really need an iLok 2.

Darryl
Old 07-03-2012, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
AAX (native or DSP) is only supported in Pro Tools 10, so no you cannot run any AAX plugins in any flavor of Pro Tools 8.

2nd generation iLok keys are the ones currently selling - although they are often just called an iLok. A (relatively) small rectangular black USB keys with a blue LED lightpipe/ring around the circumference showing when they are powered on. The original iLok keys were large ugly looking "P" shaped thingies, presumably that is what you have.

Although backwards compatible with software designed for the original iLok, the iLok 2 has enhanced encryption/security capabilities. Some new software uses that extra capability. If the software developer/company says you need an iLok2 I'd assume they know what they are talking about and you really need an iLok 2.

Darryl
Thanks Darryl. I will have to wait until I upgrade to PT 10. It is an awesome sounding plug in. I wonder why though Eventide would limit the market. Not everyone is using PT 10 yet. I do have the P shaped key. So moving forward I will probably have to purchase an ILOK 2 at some point as manufacturers introduce new plugins?
Old 07-03-2012, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Thanks Darryl. I will have to wait until I upgrade to PT 10. It is an awesome sounding plug in. I wonder why though Eventide would limit the market. Not everyone is using PT 10 yet. I do have the P shaped key. So moving forward I will probably have to purchase an ILOK 2 at some point as manufacturers introduce new plugins?
If I was Eventide I'd not be spending resources going back to do the engineering in RTAS now for a dead plugin format (I'd more likely look at also doing AAX DSP as the demand there picks up)...

Their plugin giveaway deal with purchase of a Blackhole pedal looks interesting....

Darryl
Old 07-04-2012, 08:06 AM

Quote:
I wonder why though Eventide would limit the market. Not everyone is using PT 10 yet.
Blackhole also comes in VST. If you purchase you get both the AAX version for PT 10 and the VST version.

I agree with Darryll that it makes no sense for Eventide to waste resources on RTAS.

And yes, it is a superior sounding reverb IMHO.

Lou
Avid Pro Tools Carbon, Eleven Rack (ERXP 2.0.1), Neve Shelford Channel, SSL Fusion Analog processor, Avid S1 Control Surface, Yamaha Montage 7 (also used as a MIDI controller), Korg Prologue 16 and Adam A7X Monitors.
Pro Tools Ultimate 2021.6, Logic Pro, VEP 7, Exponential Audio. Eventide, FabFilter. iZotope, McDSP, MDW, Softube, Sonnox, Soundtoys, Waves.