Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-03-2010, 10:45 PM

Default Console/Board

Hello, I am in need of some input on a console/board for my setup. I have a desired budget of, lets say, $1500. With pt LE8 having all 18 inputs maxed out with 003, 8 adat and 2 spdif, I now would like to throw a board in the mix. My thoughts are Yamaha o2r, Mackie d8b or 32x8. I know the 32x8 is ALL analog but i would like to use it to add 32 outside of the box channels that I may could use some buss compression on into 2 two tracks of my 003. BUT I still would like to have some type of control surface / digital features hints why im thinking about the d8b/02r. also I have selected these 3 because each of them have nice custom desks available. Any pros or cons of the three that anyone could throw in. I know it may be kind of a hassle question but thanks in advance for the input.
Old 06-04-2010, 11:37 AM

Default Re: Console/Board

My opinion only(as an engineer of 30 years and Pro Tools for 5); the boards you listed would have no place in my setup. The Mackie 32 is characterless, the 02R is ancient with crappy converters and the D8B, just never made sense to me(opinions vary). What I WOULD consider is a small console with great character like the Toft ATB. I would think about using a 16 channel as 8 preamps(into a lightpipe converter) going in, and 8 channels for analog summing. In any case, adding a console to an LE setup creates a ton of complication, so be darn sure you get true improvement for all the extra work. Personally, I would spend the money on some great preamps, mics and converters. Then make sure my room is acoustically tweaked and my monitors are very good so I can hear accurately(and make better mix decisions).

BTW, buss compression can be done ITB without the hassle(yet another) of latency, any time you try to use hardware processing with LE. The Waves SSL compressor and the softube TubeTech CL1B are excellent for this purpose and are dirt simple to use(with 1 sample of latency for no audible phasing). Until LE includes ADC, I will happily stay In The Box (but would still consider analog summing during the mixdown).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 06-04-2010, 01:03 PM

Thanks for the reply, but... I have a $1500 spending cap. The toft boards would be great but i doubt i will find a good one even the 16 channel for that price. I simply would like to know out of the 3: o2r,d8b,or 32x8 which one would be the best/ pros and cons.
Old 06-05-2010, 06:30 PM

I'd spend the cash on a good mic or preamp. None of those consoles are worth a dime(just my opinion)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 06-06-2010, 02:36 AM

If your spending cap for a mixing platform is $1500, why is the 02R even on the list? If you have found one for $1500, I would want to know what's wrong with it.

But I think the main message here is the 1500 would be better spent elsewhere. if your looking for a console/mixer, I would raise that cap or you will ultimately be disappointed.
Old 06-06-2010, 08:16 AM

A quick search on ebay shows a few with buy nows around $1200. This is the original, not the O2R96. I will also agree that your money is better spent elsewhere. If you're dead set on getting a used console for around $1500, look at RAMSA DA7's, they have a better feature set than the O2R's. But an external console is really taking a step backwards, especially if you're trying to expand i/o of an LE system.

I would suggest getting an m-audio profire 2626 and pro tools m powered. You will only be able to use 18 i/o simultaneously in pro tools, but you can track 26 inputs in any other software like reaper, logic, etc. Hopefully avid will remove this ridiculous limitation in the future.

If a MIDI event triggers a sample of a tree falling and there's no one there to hear it, does it make a sound?
Old 06-06-2010, 09:53 PM

Thanks for the feedback. Yes the 02r would have to be the older version, and i currently run PT le and do not wish to switch to m-powered to run the 2626, the need for the board is due to the fact that i have the 18 inputs maxed out. Some times I may need 24 inputs and this would mean having to mix outside of the box. I am currently using a Peavey PV20 for when I need to add extra summed channels, but would like a board with more character or control surface type features, plus I would like to get a board I can purchase a custom desk for. And for now $1500 is my limit. Thanks again for the input.
-Rett
Old 06-07-2010, 04:01 PM

+1 to John Toolbox on the DA7 suggestion...if you MUST have a board.

But like the others have said, I'd spend the $ elsewhere.