Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-11-2010, 08:41 AM

Default PC Cubase user looking to convert to LE on Mac - A few questions

Hello,

I'm new to this forum, but I think this is the right place to ask. I currently Cubase on Vista 64 pretty flawlessly, but I'm doing more and more audio editing, and especially with drums, the Elastic Audio feature of PT is pretty amazing to me.

I have M-Powered running on my old computer because it's the only one working with 32-bit, and I'm currently switching over all the time to edit drums. It's becoming a hassle, and I'm starting to like how PT works.

My setup is a Focusrite Liquid Saffire 56 with the Octopre MKII via ADAT. I'm getting around 1,9 ms latency in Cubase @ 24/44.1 which I think is fairly good.

However, while my PC is powerful, it was built as a gaming computer. I still use it for games, and I feel kinda bad about messing up my DAW rig with all kinds of games, and my very noisy graphics card.

I'm therefore looking at buying an iMac 27" i7 and the 003+ interface (or whatever is announced in the near future). The iMac would be similarly specd to my current PC, except in the graphics department which I don't really need.

The other option is to reinstall my computer with W7 64-bit, but then I'd still have to use it as a gaming computer.

Here are my questions:

1. How is working with PT on iMac right now? Any big isses I should know about?

2. Can I expect similar performance in terms of latency (1,9ms) on the iMac/003+ combo with a 64 buffer @ 24/44.1?

3. I know PT doesn't like recording to the system drive that it's installed on, how would I connect a firewire drive if the iMac only has one small FW input?

I've searched a lot, but I felt my questions were pretty specific for my case, so I thought it was safest to post this thread. Thanks in advance!
Old 04-11-2010, 09:07 AM

Default Re: PC Cubase user looking to convert to LE on Mac - A few questions

1.) Im not having any problems related to the iMac but I seem to have problems with the updates. I have wait until Avid comes out with a better update. Other than that everything is running smooth.
2.) You shouldn't have any latency problems. It all depends on what plugins you use.
3.) You would daisy chain your drives together. No problem.
That's what we are here for. There are a lot smarter people in here, than me, that can help you. I think you get the drift. Keep doing your home work. The iMac is plenty powerful enough but do you plan on adding on to it? If so, a Mac Pro might be better if you plan on adding cards.
Good luck.
Fender Strats, Ibanez Acoustic, Ibanez Bass, Ibanez Electric.

http://www.johnackermusic.com/
[email protected]

Live and Let Live
Old 04-12-2010, 03:16 AM

Default Re: PC Cubase user looking to convert to LE on Mac - A few questions

I'm completely dependent on several instances of Drumagog. How does this work in PT LE?